Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With Thanksgiving just around the corner I am getting a little bit worried. This is my first big holiday that I have expericed since I have had IBS. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to what to eat or what not to eat?I LOVE pumpkin pie, how does it effects any of you?Thanks for your helpStacey

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Usually the problem's with holiday meals are A) Fat:( VolumeWhat you want to do is make the meal approximate your normal eating as much as possible.So if fat bothers you eat more of the lower fat parts of the meal and save some space for something fatty like pies. If the overall meal is about what you normally eat you can have small amounts of splurge items.The biggest problem is often volume. The meal is much larger than usual and many people with IBS find large meals tend to set things off.K.------------------�When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won. There have been tyrants and murderers and for a time they seem invincible but in the end, they always fall�Think of it, ALWAYS. �Mahatma GandhiMy story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html I do not work for anyone who sells any IBS related products.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Usually the problem's with holiday meals are A) Fat:( VolumeWhat you want to do is make the meal approximate your normal eating as much as possible.So if fat bothers you eat more of the lower fat parts of the meal and save some space for something fatty like pies. If the overall meal is about what you normally eat you can have small amounts of splurge items.The biggest problem is often volume. The meal is much larger than usual and many people with IBS find large meals tend to set things off.K.------------------�When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won. There have been tyrants and murderers and for a time they seem invincible but in the end, they always fall�Think of it, ALWAYS. �Mahatma GandhiMy story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html I do not work for anyone who sells any IBS related products.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Stacey - I get around this by hosting the t-day dinner at my house. I'm so busy w/ the cooking and making sure everything is done on time and that everyone is enjoying their meal, that I barely eat. Also I am near my own bathrooms! I have a great one in the basement that is never used by guests because the basement is unfinished.
But if you're going to be a guest at someone else's home, take your imodium and hope for the best. Try to regard it as a normal meal and eat a normal portion as K suggests. I know that's hard at a holiday gathering because my natural impulse is to eat like there's no tomorrow.
It's also my experience that even during the worst of times with IBS-D, I always managed to make it through the holiday gatherings with no D. Go figure!

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Stacey - I get around this by hosting the t-day dinner at my house. I'm so busy w/ the cooking and making sure everything is done on time and that everyone is enjoying their meal, that I barely eat. Also I am near my own bathrooms! I have a great one in the basement that is never used by guests because the basement is unfinished.
But if you're going to be a guest at someone else's home, take your imodium and hope for the best. Try to regard it as a normal meal and eat a normal portion as K suggests. I know that's hard at a holiday gathering because my natural impulse is to eat like there's no tomorrow.
It's also my experience that even during the worst of times with IBS-D, I always managed to make it through the holiday gatherings with no D. Go figure!

·
Registered
136 Posts
I agree with kmottus that it's usually the volume of food consumed that's the problem. I eat turkey sandwiches quite frequently, mashed potatoes don't usually bother me, etc., but for the last two Thanksgivings I've had D from hell at the end of the night (usually my IBS tends more to C). I really think it's because on that day I don't have breakfast, I eat a big mid-day meal at my parents' house and then only eat dessert at my in-laws. Sssh, but my mom is the better meal cook; mom-in-law is the bettert dessert maker--don't tell!
This year I'm going to take the usual amount at my mom's, but immediately put it in a container to take home. That way, I can still have all the great food but will spread it out over a longer period of time. I really think that will help me, as it's not so much the food but the amount that bothers me, I think. Though I do think the dressing's seasoning might bug me a little bit, I don't think it would be as big of a deal in a very small portion. Of course, the dressing is my very favorite part of the meal, so I want to eat more of that than anything!
Like I said though, I'm going to try boxing up my portions for later, so hopefully that'll help.[This message has been edited by webbsusa (edited 09-30-2001).]

·
Registered
136 Posts
I agree with kmottus that it's usually the volume of food consumed that's the problem. I eat turkey sandwiches quite frequently, mashed potatoes don't usually bother me, etc., but for the last two Thanksgivings I've had D from hell at the end of the night (usually my IBS tends more to C). I really think it's because on that day I don't have breakfast, I eat a big mid-day meal at my parents' house and then only eat dessert at my in-laws. Sssh, but my mom is the better meal cook; mom-in-law is the bettert dessert maker--don't tell!
This year I'm going to take the usual amount at my mom's, but immediately put it in a container to take home. That way, I can still have all the great food but will spread it out over a longer period of time. I really think that will help me, as it's not so much the food but the amount that bothers me, I think. Though I do think the dressing's seasoning might bug me a little bit, I don't think it would be as big of a deal in a very small portion. Of course, the dressing is my very favorite part of the meal, so I want to eat more of that than anything!
Like I said though, I'm going to try boxing up my portions for later, so hopefully that'll help.[This message has been edited by webbsusa (edited 09-30-2001).]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.