Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in the U.S., where T'Day will be celebrated tomorrow.I am a nervous wreck over it. We are going out to eat with my husband's parents, so it will be just the four of us. That's good. No rowdy nieces and nephews until the weekend.So why am I nervous? What do I do if I "IBS", as I call it? Yesterday was a bad day (began with C, and ended with D, just like always) but I feel much better. The good thing is that the spells are a few weeks apart, so it should be a while before I have it. But then again I never know. It's enough to make me want to stay home alone. But that's not a good thing to do. I cannot avoid social situations because of something that may or may not happen.How do you guys handle holidays and eating and anxiety?Looking for tips......Laurie

·
Registered
398 Posts
it's probably not the best solution but if i have a certain event i will just take a bunch of immodium (i get attacks of ibs-D hardly ever anymore) so i know i will ok during the event. I worry about the aftermath - constipation- afterwards.

·
Registered
398 Posts
it's probably not the best solution but if i have a certain event i will just take a bunch of immodium (i get attacks of ibs-D hardly ever anymore) so i know i will ok during the event. I worry about the aftermath - constipation- afterwards.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I know exactly how you feel. Going to have Tsgiving with about 15 otheer people then afterward going to pile in cars and look at Christmas lights. I am scared to death I'll have problems during the ride so guess I won't eat much dinner - but there's no way I want to interrupt everyone's pleasure. I'll probably skip that part - but then they want me to go to the mall with them Friday - I want to but then again scared I'll have to GO.What a royal pain this is. I don't want to be a hermit tho.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I know exactly how you feel. Going to have Tsgiving with about 15 otheer people then afterward going to pile in cars and look at Christmas lights. I am scared to death I'll have problems during the ride so guess I won't eat much dinner - but there's no way I want to interrupt everyone's pleasure. I'll probably skip that part - but then they want me to go to the mall with them Friday - I want to but then again scared I'll have to GO.What a royal pain this is. I don't want to be a hermit tho.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Eating out usually results in diarrhea for me, but not right away. I take extra Immodium before I go out. Then I order and eat carefully. Ask how foods are prepared. Eat very lightly, just because it's an all-you-can-eat buffet doesn't mean you should eat all you can. Try not to let others buffalo you into eating things you know will cause problems. Turkey, baked potatoes, and green beans are safe for me. I avoid wine and alcohol which always makes my symptoms worse. Try to relax and enjoy the company. Be thankful for the blessings you have, we all have so many, even with illness and stressful times.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Eating out usually results in diarrhea for me, but not right away. I take extra Immodium before I go out. Then I order and eat carefully. Ask how foods are prepared. Eat very lightly, just because it's an all-you-can-eat buffet doesn't mean you should eat all you can. Try not to let others buffalo you into eating things you know will cause problems. Turkey, baked potatoes, and green beans are safe for me. I avoid wine and alcohol which always makes my symptoms worse. Try to relax and enjoy the company. Be thankful for the blessings you have, we all have so many, even with illness and stressful times.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lubner, you are so right. I will focus on the holiday itself.I may take a few immodium just in case and watch what I eat.I'm sorry the rest of you have this, but I am thankful that I have someone to identify with and that I am not alone. I hope that didn't sound bad.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lubner, you are so right. I will focus on the holiday itself.I may take a few immodium just in case and watch what I eat.I'm sorry the rest of you have this, but I am thankful that I have someone to identify with and that I am not alone. I hope that didn't sound bad.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
I can really relate to you ..I am going thru the same thing and you are not alone..I got some very positive messages when I posted the question over in the Meeting Place board..If you get a chance go there and look at some of the responces...I hope every thing is ok for you tomorrow and some of the things we worry about never happens..But when you live with IBS there is fears...Take care and remember there will be many of us with fears about the holiday..I have been in every bathroom on the east coast

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
I can really relate to you ..I am going thru the same thing and you are not alone..I got some very positive messages when I posted the question over in the Meeting Place board..If you get a chance go there and look at some of the responces...I hope every thing is ok for you tomorrow and some of the things we worry about never happens..But when you live with IBS there is fears...Take care and remember there will be many of us with fears about the holiday..I have been in every bathroom on the east coast

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Somethign that helps me in situations like this is having the people with me understand what might happen. I've become much more open with family and friends about why I'm anxious sometimes about eating out or going to look at Christmas lights. Then at least if I do have an attack, I don't have to explain on the spot. Of course I also try to control it with preventive things like immodium and calcium. Happy Thanksgiving!!nancy

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Somethign that helps me in situations like this is having the people with me understand what might happen. I've become much more open with family and friends about why I'm anxious sometimes about eating out or going to look at Christmas lights. Then at least if I do have an attack, I don't have to explain on the spot. Of course I also try to control it with preventive things like immodium and calcium. Happy Thanksgiving!!nancy

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ohnometo,Thanks. I appreciate it. I will check out the posts.It's funny, if I go ahead and take the immodium before I go and have my trusty bottle of soothing pepto in my purse I'll probably be fine. It's the dreading part. Once I get there I will probably not worry as much while I am there as I am anticipating now. It's good to know I am not alone.Funny thing: I can go in our local Wal-Mart now without fear because instead of the 10 stall restroom (well, they still have that, too) they have what I call a one-seater. One bathroom - it's called a Family Bathroom. I feel great knowing it's there. I have this thing about public bathrooms. Or me and other people in them. if I could hang a sign on the door that says, "Leave me in peace!" and come out knowing there would not be people standing there I'd be happy.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ohnometo,Thanks. I appreciate it. I will check out the posts.It's funny, if I go ahead and take the immodium before I go and have my trusty bottle of soothing pepto in my purse I'll probably be fine. It's the dreading part. Once I get there I will probably not worry as much while I am there as I am anticipating now. It's good to know I am not alone.Funny thing: I can go in our local Wal-Mart now without fear because instead of the 10 stall restroom (well, they still have that, too) they have what I call a one-seater. One bathroom - it's called a Family Bathroom. I feel great knowing it's there. I have this thing about public bathrooms. Or me and other people in them. if I could hang a sign on the door that says, "Leave me in peace!" and come out knowing there would not be people standing there I'd be happy.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nancy, that is a good idea. My ILs do know I have the dreaded IBS because one time my FIL said he was out of Librax. I said, "What do you take it for?" He whispered, "Irritable Bowels". I pulled out my trusty bottle (I would NEVER run out of it) and showed it to him. Now it's a big joke. We don't medicine swap, especially since their pharmacy was open and just down the road. The joke is because when he was in the hospital (he had a heart attack a few years ago and is fully recovered) My MIL was telling them what meds he was taking. I said, "Don't forget the Librax." My FIL said, "Yes, our little daughter-in-law has irritable bowels, too. We take the same thing." That was definitely overshare, but I was more concerned about him than looking for a hole to crawl into at the time, so we were able to laugh about it after his surgery.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nancy, that is a good idea. My ILs do know I have the dreaded IBS because one time my FIL said he was out of Librax. I said, "What do you take it for?" He whispered, "Irritable Bowels". I pulled out my trusty bottle (I would NEVER run out of it) and showed it to him. Now it's a big joke. We don't medicine swap, especially since their pharmacy was open and just down the road. The joke is because when he was in the hospital (he had a heart attack a few years ago and is fully recovered) My MIL was telling them what meds he was taking. I said, "Don't forget the Librax." My FIL said, "Yes, our little daughter-in-law has irritable bowels, too. We take the same thing." That was definitely overshare, but I was more concerned about him than looking for a hole to crawl into at the time, so we were able to laugh about it after his surgery.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.