Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellow IBS sufferers,I am so glad to have found this forum. I did not realize there was a web-based community of people who suffer from IBS symptoms. I am a thirtysomething male in the southwest US.The Aerosol Effect is how I described my symptoms to my doctor: (Lots of Intestinal gas + runny contents of digestive system) = AEROSOL. That is, a total colon blow-out. Triggered in some cases by spicy foods, less than well done red meat, dairy products, or a combination thereof. In some cases the Event was accompanied by abdominal cramping.The problem tended to occur after a big meal, usually dinner. Usually it did me no good for me to use the restroom right after dinner (say, just before leaving a restaurant) because the onset was always delayed. About 15-30 minutes after the end of some meals, it seemed that a tremendous amount of gas was building up in my intestines. In the worst cases, I could actually hear gurguling sounds as though my guts were churning. Then, I had to visit the toilet 2 (usually 3) times in the next hour until my colon was emptied.This year the problems became more frequent and the symptoms became a lot worse (lo and behold it coincided with a stressful year at work). It did not reduce my stress to have a spouse who was unsympathetic to -- and terribly embarrassed by -- my need to perform a total system dump so frequently. My wife has the unfortunate tendency to want to go for a walk after dinner. I would normally want to go home (or to our hotel etc.) for 45-60 minutes after dinner to see if I was going to be OK that night (then consider going for a walk). The worst place you can possibly be (if you have IBS) is farther than 2 minutes away from a nice, lovely toilet. And I knew the location of every public toilet that was available for my use within a 40 mile radius of my house. When we would go walking in my neighborhood I would even keep an eye open for construction sites -- because they always have portable outhouses -- just in case I needed one. Well, one evening a few months ago we went out to eat and came home afterward (so that I could assess my instestinal status) and everything seemed fine. Not too much later we went walking in a residential neighborhood (far from public restrooms) and the problem occurred with too little warning. That is, I had my first "mishap" since childhood. Thanks to near darkness outside and clever thinking I was able to get home without anyone but my wife knowing what happened. But one could imagine the effect that an incident like this could have on one's marital relationship.The accident was, in a sense, the last straw and I realized once and for all that I had a real problem that required medical help. I needed to finally go see a doctor, which I did a few days later. I should have seen a doctor many years ago. It would have saved me a lot of close calls and uncomfortable situations.The doctor told me that I had "spastic bowel" and put me on a high fiber diet, using Citrucel as a bulk-forming supplement. I would say that since being "diagnosed" I have made a conscious effort to avoid my obvious trigger foods. But I can eat "normal things" for the most part as long as I take Citrucel twice a day. This is not a commercial for that product, that is simply what my doctor suggested. Now that I have boosted my fiber intake, the diarrhea occurs VERY rarely, and I am getting better at narrowing down the list of what I can eat without having ill effects. I try to avoid very spicy foods, and the least disturbing type of meats for me to eat are non-red-meats such as chicken and pork. When I do have a turbulent stomach or a gas buildup, the contents of my intestines are "firmer" now, so there is no aerosol effect. The firm stuff in my digestive tract essentially acts as a plug now, preventing gas from catastrophically clearing out my system. An interesting benefit of having "firmer" stools is the factor of 2 reduction in the rate that toilet tissue is used in my household. That doesn't quite make up for the expense of taking methylcellulose twice a day. But I keep finding larger and larger jugs of the stuff for sale (at fewer and fewer cents per dose), so I'm hoping that Citrucel will come out with a 5-gallon bucket size.It is nice to be able to drive to work after lunch, or drive home from a restaurant, with much less fear of a diarrhea attack. Hopefully after a few more months of success, I will re-embark on evening walks in my neighborhood with confidence. For me, the fiber supplement is definitely worth the monetary cost. I just wish I had found out about it sooner!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
so glad to hear you have found some help- feel badly that you spent years with this before seeking help- I think this place is great for people with IBS- I have had this off and on for years and the best help and advice I have gotten here in last few months- The Caltrate Plus has helped me and no Dr. ever told me anything about that- I tried the Citricel helped me a little back in March when I was having a terrible time, but gave me terrible gas and cramping- i didn't stick with it long enough-I know all about having to find a toilet, in my case 3-5 seconds- used to have accidents several times a month in my own house!- It does keep one trapped in a shell due to fear of accidents outside the home- sorry your wife couldn't be more supportive- this is a very hard condition to deal with alone- maybe have her read some of the postings here and she could get a better understanding of what this is like-my husband had a "bug" one day on the golf course and had the experience one time and now understand what I have dealt with for years- he said"I thought I wasn't going to make it to the bathroom and almost didn't"- and I said "Wow,now you know what this feels like-he had never experienced that before when he wasn't near a bathroom- it was a real revelation to him-he used to get so aggravated with me when I had to "run"(literally) somewhere when we were out- now he doesn't say a word-(we"ve been married almost 33 years) good luck and hope the fiber treatment continues to help you- donna dill

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Welcome to the board Trigger!! I like your terminology "Aerosol" that aptly describes what I had tried to explain to my doc as a "blowout"!! Can certainly relate to your experience...very similar to mine! Glad the fiber is doing the trick for you and hope all continues to be well. Good luck!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Trigger,Welcome to the board. We can certainly relate to what you're going through.------------------LET'S ALL PRAY FOR A CURE TO THIS IBS SOON!BETTIE

·
Registered
6,922 Posts
Welcome to the Board, Trigger. I'm so glad you found what works for you, and sorry you had to suffer for so long before finding it!Anyway, we're glad to have you here. Jean------------------"Never let the fear of striking out get in your way." Babe Ruth. And I'm also Praying with Bettie for a cure for this NASTY IBS! Jean

·
Registered
165 Posts
Trigger - you described your condition very well - the experience of having the loud gurgling occur in the restaurant and having an "explosion" fifteen minutes later, is something that I became all too familar with. I've been taking Caltrate Plus for several months with remarkable results. I'm glad to hear that your doctor recommended an OTC medication that is helpful to you. Welcome to the board.------------------Feel good, everyone ----> IBSfreeIf you can dream it, you can do it. --- Walt Disney

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Welcome aboard! I know what you went through. I glad to hear that you and your wife's future is getting brighter. My wife used to get on me whenever I had the urge to go,but eventually became sympathetic to my situation. We've been married for over 20 years and if my wife ever left me,my IBS wouldn't cause it. John

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome to the board. I enjoyed reading your post. You will find alot of great advice and compassion on this board.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.