Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading US National Library of Medicine article: "Herbal medicines for the management of irritable bowel syndrome: A comprehensive review"

I was curious to explore some of the herbs/elixirs and wondered if anyone had heard of and, or tried some of them?

• Iberogast (STW 5) - https://www.iberogast.com.au/en/iberogast/

Among compound preparations, most studies had been performed with STW 5, a formula containing hydroethanolic extract of 9 herbs. Hopeful results come from the efficacy of this herbal preparation in the management of IBS with different mechanisms of action such as anti-inflammatory, prosecretory activity, and affecting gastrointestinal motility. Because of multifactorial nature of the pathophysiology of IBS, it seems that compound preparations can be more efficacious than single ones
  • Padma Lax (Not in the US) - https://padma.ch/en/products/padma-lax/

·
Community Manager
13,182 Posts
i tried iberogast but unfortunately it did nothing for me. but that's me. other people might have success with it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think maybe you should drink milk thistle. IDK, if it is possible to drink it when irritated, I am not an expert, but my grandmother brewed it for me when I had problems with it. For u definitely worth drinking chamomile, it gives a calming effect, so I think it'll definitely help u. I didn't have any irritation, but it doesn't give you any pain? When I had bowel problems, I developed pelvic neuropathy. I still have to drink herbs or rather herbal-based painkillers. If u have pain, then I think it will help u; maybe even some enzymes will help you get rid of the irritation completely. I usually have to order in bulk at https://rocketmannaturals.com/pages/painful-neuropathy because my treatment will last for a long time. I also drink rosehip for the kidneys and various diuretic herbs.

·
Registered
85 Posts
These are the ones I've had the most success with:

Cape Aloe is a stimulant laxative (which some sources say canbe toxic, but I've never had a problem). It's the most effective stimulant laxative I've ever taken.

MotilPro contains 5HTP, ginger, and B6. It's sort of like a herbal version of Zelnorm or Motegrity because it produces serotonin which promotes motility in the gut.

Lemon juice, 1/4 a cup added to water. Prob the cheapest option, so definitely worth a try. Use a straw if you drink it frequently, since it's bad for teeth enamel.

CBD: Helped a lot with pain, but made constipation worse.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
I've been taking Dr. Schulze's Intestinal Formula # 1 daily for over 5 years now. It's pricey, but it definitely works.

https://www.herbdoc.com/

Note: I also take 3 tablespoons full of apple cider vinegar (diluted with water) every morning whenever I wake up. It's nasty tasting, but it helps.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I've been taking Dr. Schulze's Intestinal Formula # 1 daily for over 5 years now. It's pricey, but it definitely works.

SuperFood, Detox & Cleansing Herbal Remedies - herbdoc.com

Note: I also take 3 tablespoons full of apple cider vinegar (diluted with water) every morning whenever I wake up. It's nasty tasting, but it helps.
Interesting about the apple cider vinegar. Has anyone else had good results with apple cider vinegar for constipation? It was one of my many supplements that I was taking for a different purpose and when I ran out of it, I never got around to buying any more of it. And now come to think of it, I was constipated when I was taking it on a regular basis. I am going to add it back into my supplements again and see if it helps with constipation issues.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,
I haven’t tried these above-mentioned herbs. But there are a variety of alternative medicines from different cultures that might be able to help with IBS.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts