Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so my family Doctor seems to think I have IBS...and it certainly does seem that way. but I keep getting these nagging sharp, stabbing pains in my abdomin, so just for peace of mind I want to go to the hospital and get checked out....I suspect i'll have to get that camera thing done. But my question is...will I be put under when they do that or will I be awake? I kinda can't do it if i'm awake...I would feel very violated. (it's a mental thing I have...can't help it.

·
Registered
375 Posts
If its a colonoscopy you will most likely be awake, but sedated with pain control. If Versed is used you wont remember a thing as it causes a temporary amnesia effect.

·
Registered
77 Posts
destructo-for your piece of mind, I think you should be put all the way asleep for tests you will have done...I was and everything went great. IBS individuals suffer differently...some worse than others but stabbing pain could just me an intestinal spam. don't just accept what your doctor says, I got a 2nd and 3rd opinion and have found out a lot more about my condition. If you haven't had much testing done, that would be a good place to start and find someone who WANTS to help you, good luck!-M.J

·
Registered
479 Posts
I was put on "conscious sedation" twice, for an endoscopy and again for a colonoscopy. But both times, I fell asleep almost immediately. I remember when they pushed the syringe, I thought I should start counting just to see how high I could count before I fell asleep. That's the last thought I remember - I never even got to start counting! The nurse said almost everyone falls asleep. I don't remember a thing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts