Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't been around for a few months- but thought I would come back to say this......The more I stopped dwelling on feeling bad- I feel better. Before you go knocking me inton the ground- I have to say I was one that never bought that stuff of, if you don't think about it it will go away. It has not gone away- I have my moments- but the less I worry about it- the less often I fell bad!My advice- get out and live your life! Don't let this thing get you down. Handle each attack as it comes and each day as another opportunity to get through pain free. Let people into your life- don't be afraid to let them in for fear they will not understand. You don't have to always tell everyone what is going on. I found I always gave a "warning" message after I ate - "oh, I am so full" etc etc.....just deal with it and excuse yourself as needed. They really don't want to hear about it. Handle the attack then move on. Best of luck.------------------Here's to pain free days!SandiIBS/D For 20+ years

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have to agree with you. I think this site is wonderful because it makes you realize you're not alone - and you learn a lot of good information on meds and diets and things to try. However - I had to stop coming here because I was becoming more and more fixated on this one issue and more depressed because it sounded more and more like no one ever beat this thing. Now I hit the car every morning to go to work - usually with guts gurgling and/or burning- and I tell myself that the worst that can happen is I can have an accident in my clothes and have to go home and change. I agree with you - I had to make a decision to just get on with it. I've eaten out with my family more in the past few months than I have in the past few years. I've taken week-end trips and even attended a family reunion for the first time in years. I'm still having major IBS-D and taking anything and everything that might work - but I'm not focused on it as much anymore. I thank you for your posting and I think it's good advice.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ladies ,Your lovely but easier said then done.I agree with the whole thought process and having your bowels on your mind 2-4-7 but it takes time to cope and accept the issue.Im glad you girls have "Come to grips" with your IBS .Ive been dealing with this for 6 months and have gone through so many stages and ideas in coping.Its been difficult due to MD's setbacks and negative feedback .If it was up to me I think Id get over it but what ticked me off and got me dwelling is my Doctor was so negative.So folks if your MD's have nothing nice to say about IBS and tell you its in your head or change your diet and look at you as if your mad.Do yourself the favor -come to the board and get your info here ,Im serious .Get your blood work and testing there for the obvious reasons (you cant do that )but if your IBS is not severe the tips that I found here on the board were better than what I have heard from the "so called" professionals .Im not bashing the medical community .NO. I just think you should do some research on your own .You are your best doctor.I dig this place!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sandi ,Thats lovely advice .Im trying to reach that level in the 6 months Ive been diagnosed.Sometimes its hard to get it out of my head though,very hard. Mental vs physical.I try to look at this (my IBS)in a positive light.If I may suggest this to everyone:Spirituality has helped me deal w/ this.My faith in God is helping me .God bless! ###----->>------

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
NYCSPUNK-WARNING>>>> anyone offended by religion, please do not read. I agree with the spirtuality! My faith in the Lord God has increased greatly in the past year. I think that is part of the reason I am mentally, although not physically, doing so much better. I know He will not give me anything I can not handle. I turn to him often to give me strength from my pain. I use to blame God for my illness and curse his name for making me feel so horrible and not allowing me to find a cure. Now I no longer ask him to make me better- just his power to grant me peace of mind and soul. It has done wonders for my disposition. It is through Gods will that I have been created as I am- faults, illnesses, and all. He is in control. That is not to say I can't search for answers in hopes of feeling better. To the others, I agree this board i good for research and helping find things that help for you specifically. My point was when you get into doing posts about say "panicing because you have an event to attend" it dwells on the negative. Negative thoughts bring about negative results. Possitive thoughts don't necessarily always bring possitive results, but it sure puts you in a better frame of mind and allows you to enjoy life SO much more. We only have a limited amount of time on this world, and with those we love.....don't we owe it to ourselves and them, to make the most out of that time- attacks and all! Peace! ------------------Here's to pain free days!SandiIBS/D For 20+ years

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i agree with you!!! Ya know, this board is really good..but sometims i find myself feeling worse after i read on here....like if i go a couple of days feeling fine, i wont even look at the board.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Real Estate salespeople say that it's all...location, location and location. I think when you're dealing with a chronic illness a good part of the problem or solution is attitude, attitude and attitude. So I agree with you Sandi K. I have fibromyalgia, possible lupus and IBS. If i have a rotten attitude I feel that much worse. Attitude doesn't stop the pain, it doesn't cure but it sure helps to keep positive when you are not feeling good. I have proven this to be true over and over again. If I start freaking out that I'm probably never ever going to feel good than I hurt that much more and I lose my will to move forward. And let me tell you when I feel like that "EVERYTHING SUCKS". Is a positve attitude easy to maintain? NO, but it's well worth the effort.I do however find this board to be very helpful. It helps me to accept my IBS and and not feel so isolated. I do not dwell on a cure. I do not believe all doctors just want my money but it sure is nice to have a place to go and vent when I need to. I thank the board for this. That said I will say to you:Good Post Sandi K, I'm glad you brought this up.[This message has been edited by FraidyCat (edited 08-16-2000).]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sandi,So nice of you to drop on by and give us your thoughts on how "you" are doing and how thought processes effect a persons over all well being.I respect that you have dealt with this condition for over 20 years and have learned to cope in whatever ways are good for you.I could probably learn alot from you also so keep dropping by if you can. I believe my generation needs some guidance in all aspects of life be it health -this -that or the other thing.Seriously,I admire the inner strength you have but due to the fact that we all are different yet the same as far as having feelings an emotions I agree that a PMA (positive mental attitude)has something to do with ones overall mood but it does not effect everything.(Yet sometimes its hard to trick your mind especially when your body is kicking in .)Does this make sense? If you maintain a PMA all day you are a very special person with very special gifts. Do you self talk? Do you sike yourself up when your feeling down>?What is your method ? Im curious .As far as religion goes Im glad you have gotten strength from it .(*ps I hope no one is offended by my next comment )I too as stated in the above posting gather strength from being a Christian . Yes ,there is doubt but we all need to have hope.WB

·
Registered
516 Posts
I totally agree. I have a book called "Breaking the Bonds of IBS" and it teaches you how to get over it and not to dwell on it so much. This has helped me. I try to think to myself, if I have an accident or attack, what's the worse that could happen? Your body will probably wait til you find a bathroom and most places do have bathrooms. It is not the end of the world! The busier you are and more you go out,the more you get over it. I know sometimes it is hard to deal with but we have to be strong and don't let it run our lives!!

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Sandi,I do get the point that you are trying to make here about thinking positive and not dwell on IBS. I think this advice is not only for IBS but for other things in life as well. Life is very short and things move very fast. I did want to say that I believe this board does exactly what you are talking about. It allows people to share together and grow and learn together about this awful disease. Maybe someone will go away feeling a little better or thought provoked by something you /we have shared with each other about our own IBS. This forum is about sharing and not about self pity.Sandi, I think it is wonderful how you are feeling and obviously you have found something that works for you -- not everyone will reach the place and not everyone will reach that place at the same time.I believe patience and understanding will go a long long way.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
SandiK,Yeah, that's the conclusion I came to when I came back from my trip to England...the more I think about it, the worse I feel...the busier I am, the better I feel...not to say that's it's all in one's head...but I kinda got the feeling that since I got such low response to my thread on my trip, everyone thought I was saying what you just said (got that??)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
SandiK,I was just thinking about writing something like that,when I came acrossed your post! I totally agree with you! The only area I differ in is I pray about mine now. God made the blind see and the crippled walk, HE can make this awful "condition" go away. I have found out recently that it takes a huge mount of FAITH, He can do anything. It tells you in the Bible not to dwell on things. That is why I haven't visited the BB lately. I want to do to many things with my life and to tell the truth I can't do it looking at this everyday. I understand some people will bash me for this, but I cannot feel sorry for myself anymore. I have gotten some really good advice off of this BB. And I will continue to look at it from time to time but, for my own sake I have to try and stay positive. I will continue to pray for all of you. And I hope nothing but the BEST for each and everyone of you!!!God Bless all of you,Kendra

·
Registered
781 Posts
Its hard to do..but you are right. A good attitude and not obsessing make a huge difference. How was your trip Murphee? Did you get sunburned

1 - 14 of 14 Posts