Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I the only one who is totally frustrated after taking all the tests and trying all the medicines and still have found no long-term relief. Caltrate has helped reduced the number of bathroom trips, but the stomach pain rarely leaves and the stool is always stringy or loose. It's frustrating beyond description.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Zayaka and Poopster. Sometimes it feels like my life has been taken away from me. I tried pepcid, prilosec, prevacid. I still have the problem.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Zayaka and Poopster. Sometimes it feels like my life has been taken away from me. I tried pepcid, prilosec, prevacid. I still have the problem.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I am sorry I cannot give you advise in pain because I get it seldomly. But to keep myself from running to the bathroom as often I take Immodium as a preventive measure(when I know stress levels are going to bother me) and calcium on a regular basis. It does not work 100% of the times, but it is definitly better.Good luck in finding something that works for you.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I am sorry I cannot give you advise in pain because I get it seldomly. But to keep myself from running to the bathroom as often I take Immodium as a preventive measure(when I know stress levels are going to bother me) and calcium on a regular basis. It does not work 100% of the times, but it is definitly better.Good luck in finding something that works for you.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just found out last week that I have IBS and scheduled for follow up visit with Dr. on Wednesday to discuss plan. Any advice for questions for dr about any medications for me to take?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just found out last week that I have IBS and scheduled for follow up visit with Dr. on Wednesday to discuss plan. Any advice for questions for dr about any medications for me to take?

·
Registered
400 Posts
hey there janabanana:I was only recently diagnosed with IBS too, and now my dr. is thinking that I may be having problems with my gall bladder. Here are a few questions I would suggest asking:* What tests will I take? Preparation for them? How long do I have to wait?* Will fibre help at all?* What are my options for medication? (I just started taking dicetel - but it's not available in the US. It's working really well so far!)* What role does stress play in this? Would counselling or anxiety management techniques help in your opinion?* What over the counter medications would you suggest? Those are all I can think of. Best of luck! Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
400 Posts
hey there janabanana:I was only recently diagnosed with IBS too, and now my dr. is thinking that I may be having problems with my gall bladder. Here are a few questions I would suggest asking:* What tests will I take? Preparation for them? How long do I have to wait?* Will fibre help at all?* What are my options for medication? (I just started taking dicetel - but it's not available in the US. It's working really well so far!)* What role does stress play in this? Would counselling or anxiety management techniques help in your opinion?* What over the counter medications would you suggest? Those are all I can think of. Best of luck! Let us know how it goes.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Jana banana, i'm back on here. It's really hard to talk about medications because what works for some won't necessarily work for others. Lots of people on here have found relief in caltrate pills. My doctors kept prescribing prilosec, prevacid, etc. But none worked for a long time. The problem I've learned from all the people on here is that doctors still do not know a whole lot about IBS.If you have any specific questions, fire away.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Jana banana, i'm back on here. It's really hard to talk about medications because what works for some won't necessarily work for others. Lots of people on here have found relief in caltrate pills. My doctors kept prescribing prilosec, prevacid, etc. But none worked for a long time. The problem I've learned from all the people on here is that doctors still do not know a whole lot about IBS.If you have any specific questions, fire away.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I do get very frustrated too, and even sometimes feel pitty for myself. I tried lots of things but they seem to work out in the first month and then, there it comes again.You have to be positive and think that it anoys us a lot but will not kill us.When I wake up in the morning I even begin fearing what my day will be like and my fears begin to rise.I'm with you.Hope you feel betterTeresa

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.