Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,Just wanted to see what others experience is with chocolate & IBS.Basically, my question is does anyone find that white chocolate is less of a problem than milk or dark chocolate?I seem to be able to eat chocolate as long as I go easy with it, but generally find that white chocolate seems to 'go down' better, (for lack of a better term!) than milk chocolate.I ate about 70 grams of white chocolate a day over a period of 3 days a couple of weeks ago and did not have any indigestion, D or C after. However, sometimes after eating milk choc, my stomach gets upset.I would just like to know if anyone else has experienced this. I know a lot of IBS sufferers can't eat any kind of chocolate at all too, (my symptoms are more or less moderate most of the time), so I am hoping that a little bit of white chocolate now and then will be ok. Chocolate just seems to be my one weakness, it is the only thing I can't give up alltogether! :love:

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Oddly enough, chocolate doesn't bother me. I don't know if that's good or bad.. since I tend to eat too much of it at times.I guess it all depends upon the person.Jeanne

·
Registered
56 Posts
I was about to tell you that white chocolate is not really chocolate, but sstorm7 beat me to it! Most chocolate manufacturers call it "white confection" or "ivory," but never couple it with the word chocolate.I am a complete and total chocoholic...from time to time I will buy a few pieces from a chocolate store, and that doesn't bother me. But I will never buy a whole box because I know how long it's going to last (not long), and then I am in trouble. Thank goodness cocoa is okay, I make cookies, brownies, etc. with this, using Smart Beat as my shortening so that there's not a lot of fat (it doesn't taste BAD, but it does taste different from full-fat butter or margarine).

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
I too am fortunate enough to NOT be bothered by chocolate. My favorite is dark chocolate. (but I'm also hooked on Hershey Kisses) It has never given me a problem, which is good because I eat some everyday!

·
Registered
563 Posts
No problem here with chocolate. Chocolate anything--ice cream, frozen yogurt, gelato, sorbet, cocoa, cookies, brownies, you name it. My favorite is Lindt chocolate. The only problem is limiting my intake of rich stuff! The best chocolate cookie I've ever had is made by a bakery in town; it's thick, really chololatey and chewy. They call it a "Soho Glob" If I eat one of those with a cup of coffee I get high!
They also have brownies called "Chocolate Orgasms".

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Pure chocolate is actually high in fiber. (Just one tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa powder provides about 2 grams.) I'm not sure what type of fiber it is, but I know it darkens my stool a day or two after consuming foods with a high cocoa content. Yet it has little effect on how I feel. Usually, milk chocolate and many chocolate candies have more milk, fat, and/or sugar with less chocolate; thus negligible fiber.White chocolate is actually nothing more than fat, sugar, flavor, and other additives that help the ingredients mix and hold their solid shape. It may have milk in it; I'm not sure. However, white "chocolate" has no fiber and contains fewer solids which could explain why it "goes down" more smoothly in certain people.On the issue of chocolate, I have seen highly conflicting nutritional values for cocoa powder and baking chocolate. It would be interesting to see why it is so difficult to analyze in terms of calories, fiber, carbohydrates, fat, etc.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Again All,Thanks for the replies, I am glad to hear that many of you are still able to eat chocolate. I just can't give up chocolate alltogether, it is my one and only weakness food wise.Anyway, just wanted to add this information that I found on the Australian Cadbury Chocolate Website. Seems the only real difference is that milk choc has cocoa mass and white choc (confection) doesn't. The ingredients could vary between brands and countries, but I would therefore conclude (in my case anyway) that it is the cocoa mass that gives me trouble.Anyway, pass me the white choc (confection)........
Cadbury Chocolate Information: Dairy Milk 250g: Legal description: 'Dairy Milk' Milk ChocolateIngredients: Sugar, Milk Solids, Cocoa Butter, Cocoa Mass, Emulsifiers (Soya Lecithin, 476), Flavours. May contain traces of nuts. Cocoa Solids 26%, Milk Solids 27%Dream 240g: Legal description: White ChocolateIngredients: Sugar, Milk Solids, Cocoa Butter, Emulsifiers (Soya Lecithin, 476), Flavours. May contain traces of nuts. Cocoa Solids 23%, Milk Solids 31%

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.