Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
181 - 200 of 214 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
What works best for me is vitamin C powder, taken with a glass of water on an empty stomache, first thing in the morning. It works as a stool softener. It should be buffered with calcium, magnesium and kalium, otherwise one gets deficient in those minerals. I take Thorne Research Buffered C Powder.
Yes, vitamin C has helped me too. I used the buffered Calcium Ascorbate Ester-C brand by American Health. 500 mg 3 times a day. I don't take the kind with bioflavonoids though because I have citric acid intolerance so I have trouble with citrus and even with things extracted from citrus.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I recently started getting Upper Cervical Chiropractic adjustments that use sound waves. It has really helped me because it concentrates on the axis which is below the skull. The Vegas nerve goes through there and that directly affects the colon.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Finally found the combination that really works for me. Misoprostal (again the pregnancy warning), docusate sodium, and a potassium supplement. It took a while for me to figure out that with all the dietary restrictions I was getting close to zero of any sort of salts.

Hope it helps, Jesus loves us.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just use whatever store brand potassium supplement is on the shelf, nothing special. I had tried all three medications separately with limited success.

·
Registered
5 Posts
L-Arginine (2000mg per day) is the only thing that has worked consistently for me so far (IBS-C with slow transit / colonic inertia). Tried every laxative, pill, diet, enema, vitamin, suppository under the sun for almost a year.

·
Registered
60 Posts
OKRA! I wanted to add one thing that is simple, cheap, not tasty but okay, and seems to be making smooth stools that stay together and pass in one long piece like stools are supposed to be: okra.

I find it in the frozen vegetables section of my local grocery store. I get the bags of cut okra. I use one bag per day with my evening meal. I can literally see the okra seeds in my stool the next morning.

I think it has something to do with the slimy substance that okra contains. I think the good bacteria like that slimy substance and react well to it.

It seems to keep the stool soft and in one piece so it all evacuates at the same time.

I still take inulin and nutraflora FOS everyday, too, to keep feeding my good bacteria. I also added a butyric acid supplement that I take once a day with a meal. I think many of us have had problems with antibiotics that may have weakened or killed off many of the bacteria which are supposed to produce butyric acid (butyrate) in our colons, so I add it back into my diet along with the foods that the remaining good bacteria use to make butyrate (inulin and FOS and resistant starch).

Anyways, I just thought I would pass this info along to you still struggling.

I am no longer constipated. I test how long it takes for food I eat to pass in stools by once a week eating whole kernel corn. I can then see the corn pass in my stool the very next morning, so my transit time is only one day. Which is excellent for me. So much better than it was. And my stools are no longer hard and difficult to pass.

Unfortunately, this seems to be a lifelong thing for me. When I stop taking my supplements and special food items, my constipation and hard stools return.

To sum it up, I take these daily: okra, inulin, FOS, raw unmodified potato starch mixed into cold water. It doesn't cost a lot, and they seem to work well for me.

·
Community Manager
13,177 Posts
Reactions: irongrl

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hello all. I've tried Oxy-Powder, which contains ozonated magnesium oxide, and have found it to be effective. What I like about it is that it does not damage the intestinal flora. And unlike milk of magnesia it doesn't pull salt from the blood into the intestines, which can cause an electrolyte imbalance over time. Theoretically, it can be used long term without causing damage or dependence. In fact they told me that the tests they ran showed that the good bacteria flourished with the extra oxygen it provided, while the bad bacteria did not. I was worried that I would be getting too much magnesium into my system, but they said it is very poorly absorbed by the body and the vast majority of it is eliminated out. In fact, they told me I could take regular magnesium supplements with it. The only downside is it is a little pricey and goes pretty fast if you use if often, but it's a small price to pay for a little relief. You can find it on GlobalHealingCenter.com or Amazon.

Hydro-C Colonic Moisturizer works just as well as Oxy-Powder and lasts longer too. It contains vitamin c, calcium, magnesium, and potassium. You can find it at gutSense.org

Fiber works for some, but not for everyone. Psyllium husk has never done much for me, but taking a product called Raw Fiber, which contains a big blend of different things, did help sometimes. You can find it on Amazon.

Stress, this one is not mentioned much. The gut is called the second brain and your brain and gut do communicate with each other. Stress and emotions can affect the digestion system. Work on managing stress, relaxing more, enjoying life. I know easier said than done sometimes. But I think we can get so focused on our problems that it contributes, in part, to them. It becomes a vicious cycle.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hello all. I've tried Oxy-Powder, which contains ozonated magnesium oxide, and have found it to be effective. What I like about it is that it does not damage the intestinal flora. And unlike milk of magnesia it doesn't pull salt from the blood into the intestines, which can cause an electrolyte imbalance over time. Theoretically, it can be used long term without causing damage or dependence. In fact they told me that the tests they ran showed that the good bacteria flourished with the extra oxygen it provided, while the bad bacteria did not. I was worried that I would be getting too much magnesium into my system, but they said it is very poorly absorbed by the body and the vast majority of it is eliminated out. In fact, they told me I could take regular magnesium supplements with it. The only downside is it is a little pricey and goes pretty fast if you use if often, but it's a small price to pay for a little relief.
I use oxypowder every night and I use it in conjunction with mag citrate and linzess (all under the guidance of my GI doc- he is doing blood tests and having me drink electrolyte solutions so i don't get an imbalance). but yes, i have found oxypowder to be effective.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Oxypowder? like in the laundry section? How? Mixed with water? How much?

My colons almost totally dead. I've not read of anyone who's had in's so long. I really think the stimulants did it, until there wasn't any energy left. Now hard pressed to get that overwhelming urge. But I need to ask users about Trulance. I'm shocked. It's just as expensive as linzess. Is there a difference?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Are you saying that you take mag citrate before you sleep? I have liquid and I'm afraid to take it until I'm near a bathroom.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi - great idea...things that have worked for me Dr natura colon cleanse, probiomax df, Low dose Naltraxone, steamed vegetables, eat an avocado a day, take 3-4 tablespoons of good oil...olive, avocado...also..900mg of vitamin c...i take two occasionally. Taking Linzess 72 now...really sucks. No sugar, fructose corn syrup, onions, alcohol...

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Thanks everyone. I think stuff is starting to work. I've been taking 600mg of chelated magnesium a day. It's a lot but I figured why not. I think that's softening my stool and helping my mood a bit. I also have homemade kefir I make everyday, so I've been trying to consistently drink in a smoothie with chia seeds, almond milk, frozen blueberries, a little lemon, other fruit sometimes.

I also find that drinking warm water helps. I've had a consistent BM the last three days when in the morning I have a cup of coffee while also drinking a warm cup of water along with it. I can't believe it works but it's that plus all the other stuff I'm doing. Oh, also have been taking Citrucel daily. I still feel a bit bloaty but it's almost a miracle that the last three days I've had a BM, because before this I relied on an enema once a week.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi - been suffering with this constipation issue for 35 years and it kept getting worse and worse over the years....got C-diff after a bout with antibiotics...bled bad,,,colitis, internal hemorrhoids … lost 35lbs, and really thought I was going to die. GI Doc put me on Linzess 290mg...bout killed me...suffered down to the 145mg finally but the side effects still loomed. Several bms a day and night...no relief....incomplete evacuation...bleeding hemorrhoids...

I have tried many supplements that you folks have been listing and they work but fall short after a few days...with the Linzess 145.

Finally, I started working with Cleveland Clinic for Functional Medicine for the last 14 months...took 4 months to get an appointment...got $10k invested in all...I was that desperate...Did healing diets...stool analysis, blood tests, took all kind of vitamins and different supplements none really worked and always felt like I was still sick even on good days...

then I TOOK PROBIOMAX DF!!!!! A probiotic...I have taken many different probiotics and none really did anything... You gotta get a prescription but, if you are sick of this crap as much as I was DO THIS!!! Get Probiomax DF from Xymogen

It just might change your life!!!

If you get nothing else from this post GET this.

I still drink water, take psyillum fiber, eat good fats, eat fiber, eat organic as much as possible....and exercise. I dropped down to Linzess 72mg but I am going to start reducing them soon I Think.

Nothing worked for me like Probiomax DF...I know everyone is different...I know this sounds "sensational" but I am excited to share success and help maybe just one person...

·
Registered
60 Posts
As Flossy mentioned in several of the other threads on here, fasting (just drinking water and not eating anything) has been amazingly and surprisingly effective. I thought my CC problem had completely gone away and I got lazy and stopped taking anything for CC and over the holidays I ate a lot of white bread and cakes and pies, etc. Stuff I don't normally eat. Well, my CC came back again. I started taking various remedies that worked in the past and I would go back and forth from watery diarrhea on one end of the spectrum to hard pebble like stools that failed to fully leave my rectum without a great deal of effort.

I decided to try fasting. So, I did a colon cleanse to get everything out of there before I started the fasting. There are various methods to do this such as the prep for a colonoscopy, which is what I did. Everything came out until clear watery stools were coming out.

I then did not eat anything for a full week. It was lousy way to spend my vacation time, but it was worth it. I'm not sure how it works, but somehow it must have reset my colon back to normal functioning. I crossed my fingers when I had my first meal again and waited. The very next morning it came out as normal fully formed stool all at one time. No stragglers left behind in the rectum. It wasn't too hard, and it wastn't too soft. I looked like the shape of the lower colon.

Now every other week I do a shorter fasting method. I don't do the colonscopy prep before hand. I just stop eating from Thursday through Sunday, and it seems to be working. If I did a longer fast, I would certainly do the colonscopy prep before hand to empty out the colon. But with these shorter fasts, if they stay convenient for me, I can do them more often.

I wonder if anyone knows why this fasting works so well? I notice numerous religions practice it. I also notice that people who follow a keto or a paleo diet often praise fasting.

I may not work for everyone, but it might be worth a try for some of you reading this.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
I fast once a week now, just for 24 hours straight. I like to call it 'Fasting Fridays." It definitely helps soften my BM's for the rest of the week. It's not hard to do either.

181 - 200 of 214 Posts