Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
201 - 220 of 221 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
I fast once a week now, just for 24 hours straight. I like to call it 'Fasting Fridays." It definitely helps soften my BM's for the rest of the week. It's not hard to do either.
Glad to hear this. So far so good for me. If it works long term I will post in this thread about it. If it stops working I will post that too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am 45 years old. IBS-C all my life.
Miralax daily but not full dose is a great help. Find your correct dose.
Heathers Fennel Tea
Avacado for constipation. Find your correct amount.

For Colitis:
I cannot stress enough how much SOURCE NATURALS Womens Life Force Multiple Vitamin (no iron formula) (also comes in mens form) put my colitis in remission for over 25 years and stopped my intestinal bleeding and inflammation. Against doctors advice, I came off Prednisone and Meds and started taking this vitamin and it cleared up the blood and inflammation ever since.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ive been taking traditional chinese medecine and I have to say......its magical. If you can find a practioner, check them out.
Yes. I agreed with this option. I have IBS-C since July 2020. Have been trying stool softener, probiotic, magnesium and plenty of fruits and vegetables. I find that all these weaken my body and decided to switch to TCM. In Singapore, I am lucky to have to access to many Chinese TCM physicians.

After one month of treatment with acupunctures and herbal medicines, I feel better but still not totally recovered yet. The only concern of TCM is the cost. TCM is slow but costly, it may take a few months to see progress. And not all TCM physician is skillful. It cost me about 100 USD per week.

TCM will usually treat as a whole and find the root cause of the problem. For constipations, they will find out what is the cause and will help you to strengthen the organs that are weak. It is a slow process, they also prescribed some herbs to help you go but it is not laxative.

I am not sure about your countries charges of TCM physicians or maybe it is not covered under your insurance. But if you can, this is the area you can explored. Western medicine is very generalized whereas TCM is very personalized. I believe gut health is an area that everyone is different.

I am optimistic about my TCM physician because she has a patient recovered after six months of treatment. The patient was depending on senna for 10 years. Hope I am as lucky as this patient.

Appreciate the inputs from all of you and help me feel better that I am not fighting this problem alone.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Glad to hear this. So far so good for me. If it works long term I will post in this thread about it. If it stops working I will post that too.
Well, unfortunately, I am back to say that after a nice long run, it has stopped working for me. I am going to clean myself out and give it another try. I did recently change unrelated (to constipation) medications for high blood pressure, and this may have been what stopped me up again. New prescription medication for high blood pressure.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I use the Japanese water therapy method (Google it, its a thing in Japan that is apparently very commonplace) of drinking a lot of warm water first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. I have found that for me personally I need more than the usual recommended 640ml (about four glasses or just over a pint) and I now (after experimenting with different amounts) drink about 2.5 pints each morning and I find that it works like absolute MAGIC! And I love it because its totally natural. Personally I also have a tea before starting the water as I just need a tea first thing in the morning. Used to drink a normal English breakfast tea but recently I have switched to green tea (I use fresh tea leaves in a pot which I think taste so much better and I reckon would probably be more effective than bags) as I find it even more effective. I have been using this method daily for around the past 6 years and it is 99.9% effective I would say, only the odd occasion it doesnt work when Ive been bad with my eating for extended periods (like over Xmas) but I find that if I dont go I just fast that day (which for me is easy as when I dont go I dont get hungry at all) then the next day continue with water therapy in the morning and that usually sorts out the problem. Obviously its not the most convenient solution as it does take a bit of extra time (it takes me around 15-20 minutes to drink at quite a fast pace) and you have to plan for the fact that in an hour and then again another hour after that you are going to NEED to be near a loo or your bladder might burst. But for me personally the benefits far outweigh the negatives. Before I discovered this method I would not go or not go fully for days on end, now its every single morning. The only thing I dont always stick to with regards to the traditional method is not eating for 45 minutes afterwards as my schedule doesnt always allow for that, so on those days I may be missing out on the full benefits of the therapy but I find it doesnt cause any interference with my main goal of making sure I can go every day.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Can give this a try. Potato juice cook under small fire until thicken, add in enough honey. Put into a jar and store in fridge. Morning take one spoonful and stir into a cup of warm water and drink on empty stomach. Drink it daily.

Another product to try is Emergen Vitamin C.

·
Registered
IBS-D
8 Posts
I can't add much positive here because I've tried many different things and nothing helps my constipation or bowel discomfort. Linzess works but gives me diarrhea (which I believe is actually a lot less volume if it were solid). I'm trying a Low FODMAP diet right now. We'll see. I have gotten a few ideas from this long section and I am thankful for that.

BTW, Miralax does nothing for me but I know it does work in ridiculously high amounts. GIs use this as a coloscopy prep and it works. But it's a ghastly process.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Here is what has helped me the most after years of experimentation for C (IBS-C). I am new here and don't quite no why I didn't come across this forum sooner? Seems like there are more good suggestions for me to explore. So here I go. YMMV

#1 Hot coffee upon awakening

#2 3 tablespoons of whole black chia ground fine at breakfast time. Put one cup water in blender, start it up and dump the chia in and almost immediately gulp it down. In my experience chia is the best and most effective bulk forming fiber supplement which has some science behind it. IMO wheat bran is horrible, pyillium husk powder causes bloating, ground whole brown flax seed is very good but I don't think it is as effective as chia and chia has a higher percentage of fiber. Chia is king.

#3 Eat one or more of the very best laxative fresh fruits every day. At the very to top of the list are Kiwi, 3 kiwi fruits, one D'Anjou or Bartlett pear about 250 grams and 200 grams or more of fresh pineapple.

#4 Eat 1 1/3 cups of short grain brown rice or 2/3 cup of pinto beans every day.

#5 Take magnesium (Swanson triple mag complex) at night if needed. You might start with 800mg and go up or down, maybe up to 1200-1600 mg if one does not have kidney disease or any other reason not to take it.

The above are the everyday basics. Other suggestions are 3 or 4 dried or reconstituted Calimyrna figs, very good and dried or reconstituted prunes which work but I do not like how they feel. YMMV. Large meals can be helpful and an increase in tough crunchy fibrous feeling vegetables, specifically under cooked bok choy type vegetables and a big raw salad with deep green lettuce. Soaked dried Shitake mushrooms are excellent.

Now to address people who have been plugged up for days and for people for whom "nothing works". Once when I was in that situation I got a colema board. I was quite shocked and dismayed that the first 5 gallons of hot water got no results so I tried another 5 gallons and got stuff to finally come out. The hotter the better that is still safe and tolerable. Maybe 105F. Someone is saying up to 110F but I think that might be a bit too hot. Now on to the subject of stimulant laxatives.

Herbal stimulant laxatives can be very useful in the short term. Pretty sure that some recent info is out about how they can increase cancer risk in long term use. They often fail when used long term in mine and others experience. Chinese rhubarb powder grips less than many other preparations. While senna can work it often causes gripping. Aloe powder is like dynamite, use only rarely if ever.There was a senna granules product I think made by Senokot that worked so good for people that they were cryin' for their mamas when it was discontinued. Probably because some people choked on it so one has to be careful when taking it. It IMO is the best stimulant laxative preparation, effective if enough is taken, with little or no griping. This same or very near same product is called Agiolax Granules. That's it for now.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Here is some of the science to back up my post on how to deal with this situation. From PUBMED. It is now easy to search PUBMED for randomized trials and clinical trials. Once you do a subject search you can then use the filters for RCT and Clinical trials.

Kiwi fruit: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/17729399/ It is not just fiber from Kiwi, it has a laxative chemical also, as do pears and probably pineapple.

Chia: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28000689/ Chia has higher viscosity than Flax

Pineapple (bromelain) https://pubs.rsc.org/en/content/articlelanding/2017/ra/c7ra06109a#!divAbstract

Pears (sorbitol) https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/2122724/ Many fruits have sorbitol in them but to me pears as a food is very effective.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Here is some of the science to back up my post on how to deal with this situation. From PUBMED. It is now easy to search PUBMED for randomized trials and clinical trials. Once you do a subject search you can then use the filters for RCT and Clinical trials.

Kiwi fruit: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/17729399/ It is not just fiber from Kiwi, it has a laxative chemical also, as do pears and probably pineapple.

Chia: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28000689/ Chia has higher viscosity than Flax

Pineapple (bromelain) https://pubs.rsc.org/en/content/articlelanding/2017/ra/c7ra06109a#!divAbstract

Pears (sorbitol) https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/2122724/ Many fruits have sorbitol in them but to me pears as a food is very effective.
Here's some more info about Kiwi:

https://www.monashfodmap.com/blog/two-kiwi-fruit-day-keep-constipation-bay/

·
Registered
35 Posts
Although it never helped me, I've had Doctors tell me that caffeinated coffee works, I take Linzess daily & 400 mg in stool softener weekly, which has helped me
Here is the discussion of constipation from the Life Extension Foundation.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I wanted to start a comprehensive list of food, herbal, medical, and physical remedies that have helped people in the past. Anything that has worked for IBS-C. I am in a really bad bout right now and that is what I am looking for. Many people come to this site looking tfor information that can help when everything else fails so I thought this might be a good idea. I will start the list. Things that have worked for me at some point: Herbal: Senna Leaf. Medical: Lactulose, polyglycol 3350, Ducolax, copious amounts of sea salt water. Food: Hemp Hearts, Spinach, Licorice, Prunes, strawberries, watermelon. Physical: Extended walks.Stuff that did not work: Chlorella. Colostrum.

Article from LIfe Extension Foundatiion - "Unique Probiotic Prevents and Treats Constipation"

science from PUBMED Dose-response effect of Bifidobacterium lactis HN019 on whole gut transit time and functional gastrointestinal symptoms in adults - PubMed

Only product I see or see at a sane price is LEF's Daily Bowel Regularity

·
Registered
4 Posts
Please relook the medicine you are taking like high blood pressure medicine. After suffering from chronic constipation for about a year, I am starting to suspect the high blood pressure medicine that I was taking close to a decade. After switching to another medicine, my constipation is gone.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Article from LIfe Extension Foundatiion - "Unique Probiotic Prevents and Treats Constipation"

science from PUBMED Dose-response effect of Bifidobacterium lactis HN019 on whole gut transit time and functional gastrointestinal symptoms in adults - PubMed

Only product I see or see at a sane price is LEF's Daily Bowel Regularity
I was interested in the lactis probiotic you mentioned. Did it help you with regularity?

I will be adding kiwi and pears to my diet. Although pears are not usually available year round where I shop. I usually do see kiwi. Now I will buy some next time I see it. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I was interested in the lactis probiotic you mentioned. Did it help you with regularity?

I will be adding kiwi and pears to my diet. Although pears are not usually available year round where I shop. I usually do see kiwi. Now I will buy some next time I see it. Thanks for the info.
I haven't tried the B. lactis. I may soon. Never had luck with probiotics before. If you try it do get the exact strain. Quality pears are harder to come by all of a sudden and they have gone up in price. I suggest giving pineapple a try also, a fairly big portion. Kiwi might be the best of all fruits in my experience.

·
Registered
35 Posts

I haven't tried the B. lactis. I may soon. Never had luck with probiotics before. If you try it do get the exact strain. Quality pears are harder to come by all of a sudden and they have gone up in price. I suggest giving pineapple a try also, a fairly big portion. Kiwi might be the best of all fruits in my experience.

I will be adding kiwi and pears to my diet. Although pears are not usually available year round where I shop. as I usually do see kiwi. Now I will buy some next time I see it. Thanks for the info.
Gooby, the reason I finely grind 3 tbls of black chia and put in in a swirling blender with about 1 cup water for a very short time is so I can get it down quick without having to eat slime. One other thing that I am having very good recent results with to have a wider and well formed stool is, on top of the 3 tbls of ground chia and magnesium at night is to eat 100 grams of raspsberries and a bannana at the same time. Well worth a try. I hope it keeps working. Tall52

·
Registered
35 Posts
Here is what has helped me the most after years of experimentation for C (IBS-C). I am new here and don't quite no why I didn't come across this forum sooner? Seems like there are more good suggestions for me to explore. So here I go. YMMV

#1 Hot coffee upon awakening

#2 3 tablespoons of whole black chia ground fine at breakfast time. Put one cup water in blender, start it up and dump the chia in and almost immediately gulp it down. In my experience chia is the best and most effective bulk forming fiber supplement which has some science behind it. IMO wheat bran is horrible, pyillium husk powder causes bloating, ground whole brown flax seed is very good but I don't think it is as effective as chia and chia has a higher percentage of fiber. Chia is king.

#3 Eat one or more of the very best laxative fresh fruits every day. At the very to top of the list are Kiwi, 3 kiwi fruits, one D'Anjou or Bartlett pear about 250 grams and 200 grams or more of fresh pineapple.

#4 Eat 1 1/3 cups of short grain brown rice or 2/3 cup of pinto beans every day.

#5 Take magnesium (Swanson triple mag complex) at night if needed. You might start with 800mg and go up or down, maybe up to 1200-1600 mg if one does not have kidney disease or any other reason not to take it.

The above are the everyday basics. Other suggestions are 3 or 4 dried or reconstituted Calimyrna figs, very good and dried or reconstituted prunes which work but I do not like how they feel. YMMV. Large meals can be helpful and an increase in tough crunchy fibrous feeling vegetables, specifically under cooked bok choy type vegetables and a big raw salad with deep green lettuce. Soaked dried Shitake mushrooms are excellent.

Now to address people who have been plugged up for days and for people for whom "nothing works". Once when I was in that situation I got a colema board. I was quite shocked and dismayed that the first 5 gallons of hot water got no results so I tried another 5 gallons and got stuff to finally come out. The hotter the better that is still safe and tolerable. Maybe 105F. Someone is saying up to 110F but I think that might be a bit too hot. Now on to the subject of stimulant laxatives.

Herbal stimulant laxatives can be very useful in the short term. Pretty sure that some recent info is out about how they can increase cancer risk in long term use. They often fail when used long term in mine and others experience. Chinese rhubarb powder grips less than many other preparations. While senna can work it often causes gripping. Aloe powder is like dynamite, use only rarely if ever.There was a senna granules product I think made by Senokot that worked so good for people that they were cryin' for their mamas when it was discontinued. Probably because some people choked on it so one has to be careful when taking it. It IMO is the best stimulant laxative preparation, effective if enough is taken, with little or no griping. This same or very near same product is called Agiolax Granules. That's it for now.
Here is a spectacular addendum to my post on what has helped. In addition to the obligatory three tablespoons of whole black chia freshly ground, put in a cup of moving water in a blender for a very short time and gulped down quickly, the helpful but not necessarily obligatory 1.33 cups of short grain brown rice or 3/4 cups of pinto beans and the likely hood of an improvement from a general increase in fruit and vegetables raw or cooked still crunchy, the addition of 100g of thawed frozen raspberries and 100g of thawed frozen mango chunks (from Trader Joe's) taken together are producing the best movements in terms of amount, width, length and form on a pretty consistent basis so far than anything else in nearly 40 years at this. I will be in very good shape if not perfect if this continues to work over a longer time period. Just amazing results. I do almost never miss magnesium in the form of Swanson triple mag an night at a dose mostly at 1200mg.

201 - 220 of 221 Posts