Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
161 - 180 of 214 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Here is a "crazy" idea: has anyone tried breastmilk? There are milk banks where all the donors are screened. Mother's milk passes all sorts of antibodies and digestive stuff. Could it "reboot" our GI system?
breast milk has been used for all kinds of cures from pink eye to healing wounds etc. Also it stops babies from getting constipated I believe. If people are willing to try fecal transplants or pills why not breastmilk?

·
Community Manager
13,177 Posts
well, i needed the full capful of it but, like anything, YMMV.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I was using two tablespoons of milk of magnesia and it worked really well for one week then stopped completely. Should i up it to four tablespoons? Im guessing once i up the dose it will eventually stop working after a bit.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi yall! Im new to the group! Been constipated 24/7 for 2 years. just recently got GERD and Im now on Prilosec which is making the constipation even worse. Bummer.

The Slippery Elm and coffee combination has helped me more than anything else ever has. They sell it at most health food stores, and I take about 4 capsules every morning with a cup of black coffee and I go to the bathroom almost instantly, but its not diarreah, its just a normal poop. Now that I have GERD, I cant drink coffee, but Roobios tea helps (not as great as coffee) to go along with my Slippery elm routine. I take it first thing in the morning on an empty stomach, and the hot coffee or tea helps dissolve it because it becomes a slippery coating on your intestines. My doctor told me about slippery elm and Its been my holy grail the past 2 years.

·
Registered
60 Posts
And one more thought; I have read at this forum that many of you with C, eat foods that actually are fodmap-food...for example prunes (as much as i know)...are forbidden... Does this mean that pure Fodmap diet is not completely suitable for the IBS-C because it doesn't help it much enough...?
It seems to me that FODMAPS are to be avoided for those with IBS-D, but not IBS-C. Inulin and FOS are FODMAPS but they work great for me.

Another thing I would like to add to this list are resistant starches like raw unmodified potato starch mixed into cold water (never cooked) and raw green banana (the greener the better, or get the raw green banana flour and mix it into cold water). These both feed the butyrate producing bacteria in your colon very well. When I'm at the grocery store, if all they have out are the ripe yellow bananas then I ask them if they have any of the really green bananas in the back, and they will bring some out for me. Resistant starches literally resist digestion in the small intestine and end up in the colon where they get fermented by butyrate producing bacteria.

·
Registered
60 Posts
breast milk has been used for all kinds of cures from pink eye to healing wounds etc. Also it stops babies from getting constipated I believe. If people are willing to try fecal transplants or pills why not breastmilk?
There is quite a bit of renewed interest in human milk ogliosaccharides (HMOs) and particularly one known as 2 FL which is 2' Fucosyllactose.

In this study they gave adults a supplement containing it to shift the microbes back into a more favorable composition...

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5082288/

·
Registered
60 Posts
Garlic definitely helps with my BM's. I made some great spaghetti sauce the other day with plenty of garlic and onions (they help also) in it and go a lot the day after. Garlic also tastes great and is great for ya. It also will most likely make your breath really bad
ohmy.png
, but I try to remember to stand clear of everyone a day or two after consuming it.*

garlic-625_625x350_71437817264.jpg

* 20 to 25 feet away, at least.
ph34r.png
You might be interested to know that both garlic and onions are very high in inulin and FOS. They are a natural way to get inulin and FOS into your diet, so you are probably a good candidate for using inulin and FOS to reduce constipation issues.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/19-best-prebiotic-foods

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, Newbie here. When I was first diagnosed it was called slow motility. The doctor had me take Betaine Hydrochloride (HCL) before each meal. It's a digestive enzyme. Doc started with a charcoal test to see how long it took for food to pass through my system. He couldn't believe the 7 days results, so he had me do the test again. Same results: 7 days. Then he had me swallow a small transmitter that read stomach acids on an empty stomach. Had me drink 1 oz bicarbonate which was supposed to be equal to eating an apple. The acid levels plummeted as expected, but didn't recover as normal. He gave me an acid tablet after 1/2 hour, still no improvement in reading. Gave me a second acid tablet 1/2 hour later and finally the stomach acids came up to normal. thus the Betaine HCL before meals. It really helped.

Doesn't cure IBS-C, but it sure resolved some of the problem.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts

·
Community Manager
13,177 Posts
that name sounded familiar to me so i did a board search on it. there are a number of posts about it.

hopefully someone who's tried it will answer your post here.

·
Registered
58 Posts
When i was traveling i had an oppurtunity to try this , and as far as i can say it kinda helps i've told them to give me sample 3 caps or more in order to try so , To be honest over three days it kinda works as it stimulates peristalisis i could feel it because i was cramping after taking it in duration of three days and over those three days 1 day i had 1 BM , second i had half and not much 0.5 BM , and the third i had nothing so as far as i can say in comparison to stimulants and osmotics i don't think so that it is comparable for that price i know it didn't work so well i mean for the price and the efficacy of it i can see it is not that much affordable . Other things i wanna mention another herb if some of you wanna try its called Rhamnus Frangula ( latin ) or Alber Buckthorn , i guess this is another good herb you can check it out

https://www.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/ingredientmono-850/alder-buckthorn

other alternative i was using to bisacodyl was in my coutntry one tea for constipation it wass really working . Good luck
senna.png

·
Registered
4 Posts
Trapped gas has been a problem for me. It's in there bubbling around, but it's having a hard time finding the exit. I've been taking IBgard, a peppermint oil capsule that dissolves in the gut rather than the stomach, and it has helped me pass gas. With the unexpected benefit of a fresh, minty aroma. 😁

·
Registered
5 Posts
I don't think I'd try breast milk. I do eat sheep's milk yogurt though and that is the only dairy I can tolerate so it is helpful as a natural source of calcium and probiotics. I don't do well with any of those vegan yogurt substitutes (almondmilk yogurt, soy yogurt etc.)

161 - 180 of 214 Posts