Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,I got a totally bizarre question. I've noticed that I'm often able to perfectly hold up my BM during the day. Usually, it only gets urgent to a point where I really need to go either during lunch pause or when I get home.I mean it's really like that. I can have a feeling of having a full colon for hours and hours but it's usually only when I get home after work that I really feel the need to go. Don't get me wrong, if I feel that "full feeling" during the day and I go to the bathroom, I'll usually have a BM but I can usually just live with the full feeling without going too.It's like my mind knows that during the day, in the bus, when I'm walking around or when I'm in the store or at work, it's a bad moment to be sending the signal. But when I get home it's like my mind knows "ok, you can go now, send the signal" and there I am, having the need to go to a point where holding it up becomes much harder.It's really like my mind knows when it's a good moment to send the signal for going to the bathroom or not.Does this make any sense? Does the mind subconciously "know" when it's a good moment to go or not?I'm asking because my IBS is mainly psychological. I'm in a vicious circle: I feel the symptoms, they annoy me, I get scared that they're gonna start dominating my life and disrupt it more and more and this fear of course, sustains the symptoms. But since it's psychological, it seems the mind plays a big role in how and when you get symptoms right?Secondly, I'm soon going to start Cognitive Behavioural Therapy. I've tried Hypnotherapy, probiotics, antispasmodics, dietary changes and nothing seems to have a lot of effect. However, people say that for persistent cases such as mine, where the problem is purely psychological and not even caused by an external factor any more, CBT is the answer. I'm in that vicious circle, I realize that. I'm my own enemy in this and even though I KNOW I cause the symptoms myself, I just can't make the fear and anxiousness about my symptoms "go away" like that. It's stronger than me.Do you think CBT would be of any use to me? The psych also said she might give me antidepressants. Are these effectice in my type of fear (the fear of seeing the symptoms take over my life)?And last but not least, somewhat related, I sometimes have "wet farts". These are annoying and give you such an uneasy feeling. Are these normal and if so, does this mean my IBS is worsening or is it just something that'll go away?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi Little hedgeHog,This makes total sense. So much of IBS is subconscious. Your mental state creates affects through the autonomic nervous system that influence the bowel. It is a mind body syndrome. It is just like when you are traveling and your state of mind tends to inhibit bowel function. Then when you get in a comfortable situation your bowel will be released. Unless of course you have IBSd and then the oppositve affect often occurs and stressful situations can cause diarrhea. It is paradoxical in a sense.I think CBT will do you good. Also have a look at my website. This might help.www.healingbeyondimagination.comGood health!

·
Registered
77 Posts
I wish mine was like that.It seems mornings and evenings are when people have the most problems with D regardless. Maybe because at night you have had your full days meals so your colon is the most active.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Good website skoshland. We are always told to "listen to our body". Sometimes we have to "get over it" and get on with other things in order to feel well.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks Jillywilly!It is strange but sometime the more that we focus on somethings the worse that we make it. Our mind and body have become conditioned to respond in a certain way to certain triggers. It is not to say that this is in the mind just that the mind is very powerful and can exert control on the bowel and its nervous system. We just need to learn how to do that. You can really do this. \If anxiety, fear, frustration all make IBS worse then other states of mind can improve the condition.Live well!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts