Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi y'all! I have been suffering from -- what I feel is severe -- IBS for more than a year now.. though I think my real problems started when I was 14 years old. (I'm 28 now.) I'm so grateful to have found this site. But reading the chats tonight make me so scared, and I almost want to cry. I can't imagine living the rest of my life like this. The pain, the attacks. The pending embarrassment. I can't even remember the last time I felt comfortable on a date. (I'd actually rather not date just so I won't have to worry.)I'm in an extremely high stress job. I'm at the point now that I can't even sit through meetings for fear that my gut will start churning. I can feel the sweat start when I think I'm going to pass out from holding my breath.I don't dare eat anything till I know I won't have to be in a room alone with anyone.. sometimes that means I don't eat till 4 or 5 in the afternoon.A year ago, I ended up going to the emergency room with severe D -- I lost 11 pounds in that one week. It's now a year later, I've gained 20 pounds, and I've tried everything from taking Aleve (like my ob/gyn sugggested), to altering my diet.I've moved to a new city.. and I am going in for a colonoscopy later this month.. I'm terrified.On the positive side, I started a new exercise regimine this weekend.. and I'm trying out the diet on the www.eatwithoutfear.com site. Today was a good day.Is there anyone out there who's been able to get over this??? How did you do it?? Will this get worse? And what makes it that much worse?Thanks for any advice you can give me.

· Registered
238 Posts
Welcome!!! I am new too. I just found this web site 5 days ago. I have already found alot of good information in this group. I understand your feelings about IBS . I also have the same feelings. What I have found out about this IBS is it effects people diffrently, diet plays a big part in it ,and stress triggers the pain. Iam in a very high stress job also. What is working for me is lotronex, high fiber diet , and exercise daily . Welcome to the group and hope good things come your way in finding what will work for you .

· Registered
1,511 Posts
You will eventually learn what your trigger foods are, and will avoid them. You will also have good times when you go into remission. It is a lifetime thing, yes, but it does NOT have to take over your life if you don't let it. I raised two beautiful daughters as a single mother, sometimes working two full time jobs, and did so with IBS. I got it when my oldest was 2, and I had my gall bladder out. I just learned to ignore the pain, find out where the bathroom was, and carry a booboo bag with me. (change of clothing, baby wipes, sanitary napkins, plastic bags for soiled clothing, etc) It was not until this last year that I even knew there was a name for this syndrome or had any idea there were things to treat it, I just learned to live with it. Don't be frightened by the colonoscopy. If you live through the preps, the worst part is over. The proceedure is usually painless, or so one would think as the versed makes you forget. Knowing what it is is a great relief. Talk to the doc about Lotronex, the new drug on the market, and try to relax, stress WILL make it worse!Good luck, and do keep us posted!Maggie------------------Praying for a cure for this NASTY IBS!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the board! I'm jay67. I've had IBS for about 5 years now so I'm sort of used to it now . I know that it may seem right now that you can't go through life this way,but you can. When I get strong cramping I have learned to breath, slowly and deeply, try to think of something that you love very much. Anything peaceful,or nice. Just relax. It helps me. I'm sure that as you keep checking the board for help and support that you will find something that works for you. See you on the board! jay67

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I found this website for the first time almost 3 years ago I felt a great deal of relief and interest. I read every post on the board over a few days. I wasn't particularly happy that some people were reporting that IBS had been with them for 20 or 30 years. I will say that I thought the condition was unbeatable but I've been able to manage it very well for a long time. I don't suffer from constipation and I found that the diahrea and cramping I once suffered from were caused by a dairy allergy and lactose intolerance. I am 90% percent better and have been that way for more than a year. Diet was a key ingredient to managing IBS in my case. Also, try aloe vera gel caps in conjunction to modifying your food intake.

· Registered
6,913 Posts
Hi alonia, and welcome to the Board. Please do not be discouraged and think that you will always have this. There are new medications coming out that could help. Also, as someone else suggested here, try to figure out what your trigger foods are, and try to avoid them. Try to reduce the stress in your life also, if you find stress makes it worse. I'm doing Mike's hypnotherapy tapes and they have been a great help to me. Other people use other relaxation techniques -- it's just a matter of finding out what works best for you.Above all, don't give up!
By the way, if you haven't been to the Meeting Forum, it's a good place to check as we talk about all kinds of different things there, and joke a lot. We talk about serious stuff too, but it's a good place to relax in general.Take care.
JeanG------------------Member of "The Advance Guard for the Ozone Rangers".May the "farce" be with you. JeanG

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome to te board, I am new myself and I have found a wealth of information here. I hope you can find all the support you need.------------------JodiConfucious say "Man who stands on toilet high on pot"

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you so much for all of your replies. I had three attacks this morning.. but the peppermint tea I just bought seems to be helping.It's nice to know that I'm not alone in this.appalonia

· Registered
1,162 Posts
Welcome Appalonia. No, you are not alone in this as you can see by the BB. I was like you about 18 mos. ago. It started out very severe after gall bladder surgery and for about 6 months I was afraid to leave the house. Lately tho it has been waning. Sometimes I can go for a week or two without the D. The D and the mild cramping I can deal with - it's the unexpectedness of the attacks that scare me. I know every gas station and every bathroom on my regular routes when I'm in the car. I have the bathrooms at the mall memorized just in case. It pretty much slipped into a routine with me. I go out to dinner with hubby but we always eat nearby and leave right away. Luckily our fave restaurants are within a couple of mile radius. My husband didn't understand this disease until his cardiologist wanted him to start eating breakfast before leaving to work. So for something quick he'd make a bowl of cereal. By the time he was on the road, he was ready to pull into a gas station and let loose. Turns out he's lactose intolerant and it causes D for him. Then he understood everything I've been going through.It's hard to tell people because no one wants to discuss bowels (especially on a date). Just keep coming to this BB and tell us your problems. You're among friends here.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.