Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, First, I just wanted to say that this forum has helped me very much, particularly emotionally, over the past several years in trying to deal with what doctors have called IBS for me. In fact, I was scrolling through the topic posts, and came upon one that I started about a year and a half ago about my struggle with having IBS and being single. The words of support then were a great help! Since then, I met a good guy when I wasn't looking (cliche, but true) and we've been dating for a little over a year. He has a basic understanding of my condition, and always asks me when we go out to eat or if we're cooking what foods are "Julie-safe." Corny, but supportive
However, much of my daily struggles with having IBS often occur when we aren't together, which is both a blessing and a curse. It's a blessing because I don't have to deal with feeling sick and can usually enjoy the time we spend together. On the other hand, its difficult because I don't think he really knows how debilitating this illness can be for me. There have been a few times when attacks have happened, and he's been awesome -- including one time when we were on a long car trip and he made it quickly to a rest stop. But often times, when I'm not in someone's company and I have an attack, it tends to increase my anxiety and I can get emotional. The reason that this is on my mind is that just recently he brought up the subject of us maybe wanting to live together in the near future. I definitely am interested in that, for both our relationship and financial stuff. However, I have to face the reality that in doing so, he would probably witness more of my struggles with IBS than he has so far in our relationship. So, I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on how to talk to him frankly about this but not scare him? And also, maybe some tips on how to cope with living with a significant other while having digestive issues? I realize that this is a specific question, so I may not get many responses, but any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!Julie

1 - 1 of 1 Posts