Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I had to share. About two months ago, I had a bad IBS episode. I was on my way to visit the parents many hours away by car. About half way there, my IBS got unusually bad. Long story short, I ended up staying the night in a hotel at the half-way point and went right back home the next day. I never wanted to be stranded in the middle of nowhere again when IBS decides to hit, so I built this ultra portable "Porta-potti" for storage in the car. My criteria in order was: Compact/inconspicous as possible when stored, quickly deployable, light-weight and inexpensive.So here it is. We'll name it "Barney." It folds up quite small and I store it in a black garbage bag along with toilet paper and additional disposable waste bags (the white bag in the pics). It unfolds/assembles in about 7 seconds for quick deployment. The waste bag can be pre-mounted and folded up with the frame. My main concept is that you use it on the side of the road/highway hopefully where people can't see you (yes, I've done the "find a deep ditch or bushy area" pre-Barney days before). But if there is no place like that, just pull over, open the front and rear far-side passenger doors as shields, put Barney in between the two doors on the road, and yell "Geronimo."I do have to say that I am hopeful now that I will never need to use barney. About a month ago I went on Align/Bifantis and I haven't had an emergency yet. But Barney does make me feel more at ease on long trips none the less.

G

·
Hey DireWee, know exactly how you feel, the last 3 years I have had a port a potty in my van and now have the same type in my pontoon. All the essentials are packed in it and a flip of the cover brings it up for use. I always have it ready. But I can use the potty in the van or in the pontoon. It looks like a small compact barrel with a lid. It is my security blanket.Char

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Great idea. I also wised up about 6 months ago and put a bucket with bags in it and a lid in the back of my van. Have yet to use it but like you said I feel a little better just knowing it is there.Thanks for sharingKitkat

·
Banned
364 Posts
quote:But if there is no place like that, just pull over, open the front and rear far-side passenger doors as shields, put Barney in between the two doors on the road, and yell "Geronimo."
Now THAT'S funny!!!I ended up in a ditch along a highway late one night. Told my friend, Dar about it, she said the local paper had reports of an odd double full moon in that area that night! The smart alec!!!What a great idea! Wondering if it pinches at the seam when you sit on it!!!

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have had a "luggable loo" in my van for years. My son and I both have had to use it suddenly. It has saved us many a time. It has helped my son to be able to go somewhere that he wouldn't have felt comfortable going before. Just knowing it is there helps a lot! When we have been caught in traffic, it makes my son feel ok, that there is somewhere to go if he needs to. Before I had it, congested traffic would make us panicky(sp?), wondering if we could get to a toilet in time.Hooray For All Our Luggable Loos!!!!!mom

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nope, no pinching when you sit on it, when unfolded the seam is fully closed. I have "thought" about marketing it but that's about it. I haven't looked but I'm sure there are tons of camping toilets that do the job just as well. My design is also not ideal for mass manufacturing. So, you will not be seeing Barney on the store shelf except in the toy aisle as Barney the Singing Dinosaur.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Great idea! I keep a bucket lined with plastic bags in my car. It keeps me from panicking when there is a traffic tie up of any sort on the freeway. Just think how many more of us IBS sufferers can be liberated to tear up the roads and highways if we all packed a portable pot.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, Chilly. Having managed consumer and technology products for years I know it won't be worth it. You also have to have passion about a product in order to make it in the market. I don't have much passion for port-a-pottis no matter how much I like having one around. But it was a fun and useful personal project.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Great work Direweeyah! I think that's very inventive! There have been many times when I have been stuck on the side of the road trying to find a spot and then you have to worry about the "splatter"(eeeewww) on your pants and trying to hold yourself up if there isn't a good log or rock to hang on to. I have done the open 2 car doors thing more times than i can count and it definately would have been nice to have something like "Barney" with me. Since you said you probably won't be marketing it and I won't see it on shelf I guess I'm just gonna have to get creative and attemp to make myself a personalized "barney". I still say Kudos to you for actually making something that everyone thinks about but never really converts to a physical product. You are an inspiration!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.