Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi HeatherI have done some fast and very interesting reading (thank you your material is so easy to understand) but now have some more questions so that I can adapt my diet and not cause my family to go nuts.1. Bread, what is your view of Ezekiel 4.9 bread it is a sprouted grain bread?2. As well as the mint and fennel tea is ordinary tea and green tea (no milk) have some benefits? I love tea. Plus why hot tea is cold mint tea OK?3. I know you say no oil but if you need to use some is canola and olive oil OK?4. Takning Citrucel et al when you say 1/2 TSP you mean with water and not by it self then drink water? Also these should be taken twice a day (breakfast and dinner?) before meals what happens if I forget and then remember during the meal?I know I have asked lots of questions hope you can help Thanks LRC

·
Registered
295 Posts
Hi there - For your questions:1. Bread, what is your view of Ezekiel 4.9 bread it is a sprouted grain bread?I'd be careful with any whole grain bread - it's the insoluble fiber that can cause problems. You might just have the Ezekiel bread after you've already eaten some soluble fiber.2. As well as the mint and fennel tea is ordinary tea and green tea (no milk) have some benefits? I love tea. Plus why hot tea is cold mint tea OK?Green and black teas are fine, though watch the caffeine levels (caffeine is a GI stimulant). Regular teas don't have the muscle relaxant and pain relieving qualities that some herbal teas have, but they shouldn't make IBS worse. They just won't actively help it the way peppermint and fennel can. Cold tea is okay, but cold makes muscles contract so I wouldn't have a big glass of iced tea on an empty stomach. Heat is a muscle relaxant, so hot tea is very soothing as a result.3. I know you say no oil but if you need to use some is canola and olive oil OK?You absolutely need to have healthy fats in your diet. The IBS diet is low fat, as fat is a GI stimulant, but it is NOT fat free. That's really unhealthy. So yes, you do need to incorporate oils like olive and canola (and also avocados, finely ground nuts, fatty fish) into your diet - have them in small quantities with a soluble fiber base. For recipe examples of this, check here web page 4. Takning Citrucel et al when you say 1/2 TSP you mean with water and not by it self then drink water? Also these should be taken twice a day (breakfast and dinner?) before meals what happens if I forget and then remember during the meal?You always need to take soluble fiber powders mixed into water. Soluble fiber won't work without water. And you definitely wouldn't want to try and swallow the powders dry. So mix the powder into a glass of water, and then you can have another glass of water as well. And 1/2 t is a small starting dose, to take twice daily. Once when you first get up, once before dinner. You can then gradually increase your dose to 2 tablespoons twice daily (it might take a few weeks to work up to the full dose).You can take these any time - before, during, or after a meal. It will work no matter what. It's just nice to take them on an empty stomach as they'll then "buffer" what you do eat. Having soluble fiber foods or supplements whenever your stomach is empty, and as a base for other components of your meal (like fats and insoluble fiber foods) is a great way to keep your GI tract stable. Hope this helps!Best,Heather

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.