Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Usually, when I think of IBS, I think of the anxiety that comes before running to the restroom. Now, I have a totally new perspective. Out of no where, even at my most calm moments BAM!! A deep gut cramp that sends me running. The waves of pain are so intense that I perspire, tremble and desperately look for something to squeeze the living hell out of to get my mind off this agony. More than once I've thought that, "This was it." Trying to focus on my breathing is impossible and have felt close to passing out. In waves it hits me, usually the first part is somewhat solid and continues to liquidate. The pain starts moving lower and lower into my gut and feels like a brick laying near my uterus (just trying to describe how low). When each wave moves lower and intensifies, I know expulsion is near. However, when the diarrhea comes full on, that the attack is almost over. Does anyone else have this similar attack???So, now IBS also participates in Guerilla warface on my body, GREAT. I've used tri-cyclic anti-depressants to try and help to no avail. Donnatal recently, no relief! Not even as a mild sedative. Hell, the attack itself wipes me out, why do I need a sedative? Sigh, also Effexor (depression/anxiety), Prednisone & Plaquenil (for RA), Mirena for BC and I was on BP meds but figured I would control them the best I could through diet and exercise... I'm sure when in the midst of an attack though, that bad boy is through the ROOF! Why must we suffer so??? Why isn't there anything that will just FIX this issue?????

·
Registered
391 Posts
jesselle - sorry to her you are going through so much pain, it's awful I know. I'm usually worst in the mornings when I get the pain, and it's nearly always twice. Then I'm usually ok diarrhoea wise for the rest of the day, and if I get the odd cramp and it starts to build, I run for my trusty bottle of Dr. Collis Browne's Mixture which soothes my pain away (temporarily
)I hope you feel better soon.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Peaches! What is the Dr. Collis Browne's Mixture? Temporary relief would be GREAT esp if i'm out, and desperation to find anything has the better of me... What is in it?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Thanks Peaches! What is the Dr. Collis Browne's Mixture? Temporary relief would be GREAT esp if i'm out, and desperation to find anything has the better of me... What is in it?
Well it's pretty old, my mum used to give it to us kids, and her mum gave it to her, so I know it's been around for years. (Goes into the bathroom to get the bottle) It's got anhydrous morphine and peppermint oil in it, but the writing is so tiny I can't see very well (ancient old crone here!) Try googling it, maybe you can get some on line if you can't buy it in the chemist in your country.Feeling rough tonight, I stupidly ate half a carton of hummus at lunch, paying for it now
(All the best

1 - 4 of 4 Posts