Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some thoughts on how life for us IBS sufferes would be made a lot easier. It's a bit silly but I wanted to share it with you.Puplic bathrooms should have a door that goes all the way to the floor! Those booths with the big gap between the door and the floor should be illegal.People should be educated about about Irritable bowel syndrome, at least know the basics about IBS. My friend is diabetic and when ever she is not feeling well and people ask what's wrong all she has to say is "I'm diabetic" and they immediately understand. It would make life so much easier if we could just say "I have IBS" instead of explaining it or making something up.Farting should not be taboo! Everybody does it. Imaging if you could just let it rip when ever and where ever and nobody would care?
That WOULD help our social life a lot!Do you have anything to add that might make our life easier?

·
Registered
414 Posts
Many more public toilets. Available maps of where all the public toilets in different areas are so that people could plan ahead a bit more. endless supplies of toilet rolls in the public toilets, with music playing in the background or soundproofing.I agree that it needs to be highlighted more with the general public and even doctors. They should be educated to know exactly how difficult it is to live around this condition.

·
Registered
722 Posts
A cure would be wonderful!I really dont like it when people say,'oh i get that irritable bowel' sometimes,they have no idea!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I actually have an app on my iphone called "Sit or Squat" that tells you where the nearest bathroom is from your current location! It even says how many stalls, etc! It's really helpful for IBS sufferers !

·
Registered
517 Posts
A new name. Irritable Bowel syndrome is such a horrible name. First it includes the word bowel,which isn't really a word you want to say, and second it uses the term "irritable" which I find doesn't quite describe what we actually feel. I wish it had a regular 1 word name like crohns or colitis. I find the name Irritable bowel syndrome annoying as people just think we have a stomach ache, or our tummies are "irritated".

·
Registered
140 Posts
A different word for "normal" IBS and bad IBS. I have a friend who has IBS; she's got symptoms for like half an hour each month. I have them all the time. Because some people have such mild symptoms, I feel like IBS isn't taken seriously by your average Joe. There should be another word for severe IBS.I totally agree about the new name thing, too. I hate saying "irritable bowel"... It just brings up yucky images. I call it ibs... pronounced "ihbz", because that's somehow less unattractive.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Like Claireuk said doctors should be more educated as well. My doctor had no clue. All he told me was that I should eat a lot of fibre and stay away from broccoli. Oh, I wish it was that easy doc.Everything that has helped me is something I found on the internet. Like with peppermint oil capsules, I asked my doctor about them and he said they wouldn't work. But I tried anyways and oh my they help! If only he had known from the start... then it might have spared me some painful days in bed.

·
Registered
82 Posts
All the suggestions are great, especailly doors that go to the floor. How about next to the toilet paper, a contraption that you can press to dispurse fragrant spray? That is the most embarassing for me, having someone follow me into a stall, like at a concert or movie when there are long lines.I used to say Irritable Bowel, but you get those looks like, "yeah sure". Now I just say spastic colon and no one questions it, or "sorry I took so long, I have a bad tummy today". Hi WonkyColon!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Nancy: Hi, IBS sister!We should all come up with a new name and popularize it. Nancy's idea-- "sorry I took so long, I have a bad tummy today"-- works. I think my screen name works nicely, too-- "wonky" sounds much better than "irritable". And "colon" is somehow much less nasty than "bowel". How about Wonky Colon Syndrome (WCS)?Spastic colon works well, but for some reason doctors don't use that anymore. And splenic flexure syndrome works, too, but I know that doesn't apply to all IBS sufferers.

·
Registered
151 Posts
regarding the name IBS...I know what you mean about the name; people do minimize IBS. Us Rheumatoid Arthritis sufferers complain of the same thing. RA is a systemic disease affecting much much more than only joints (which, btw, is always bilateral) yet people will respond with "oh, yeah, I have arthritis in my right thumb"... there's no comparison! On the RA forum, we've come up with Systemic Rheumatoid Arthritis, Rheumatoid Systemic Disease, Rheumatoid Arthritis Disease(RAD) and more. I keep forgetting to try one. Another name to tell someone, that reflects that those of us with IBS suffer from something that is bad, is to say, " Functional Bowel Disorder" . Or you can say FBD; many won't want to admit they don't know what initials mean and automatically think that whatever it is, it must be a bad thing. The first gastroenterologist who diagnosed me having IBS actually called it that; maybe IBS became official later. It's really the same thing. Try it once or twice and let me know how it was perceived.

·
Community Manager
13,183 Posts
cathy--that's a great name--functional bowel disorder---i like it!i've always thought ibs should have a different name. when i was first dx'd in the 70's it was called spastic colon. then they went to irritable bowel syndrome but it's been my experience that the "syndrome" part of the name somehow trivializes it, making people take it less seriously. i've actually had people tell me: "syndrome! why that just means it's all in your head!"i'm going to start using it--we'll see what happens. thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ive had it for years, and the thing I hate the most is no one understand! I know one person in my college who has it, so I talk to him about it. Other than that.. I hate it when people complain that they have diarrhea or constipation for like a day. Try having it everyday! Bad times people lol

·
Community Manager
13,183 Posts
you're right, claire...i've had people tell me--"ibs? oh i had that once. don't worry--it only lasts a day." gee i wish...and like wonky mentioned--the varying degrees of it. there's pain and then (despite all you can do to overcome it) there's ongoing debilitating pain.about the name thing again. i was reading on the IFFGD (International Foundation for Functional Gastrointestinal Disorders) website and was reminded that they use the term "functional gastrointestinal disorder" (FGID) as an umbrella term to refer to ibs as well as other gi disorders--a name similar to cathy's and IMHO a much better name than irritable bowel syndrome. although it is quite a mouthful-- functional g.i. disorder works too .

1 - 19 of 19 Posts