Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
heard from a distant relative today who has ibs and has come through it all. her method was to come off foods completely for about 4 days(fluids etc only) and then gradually different foods over time until she had identified her problem foods. I dont know the ecaxt details and i heard this second hand and am yet to talk to her myself. Has anyone else heard of or tried this method? extreme i know but at the end of the day who cares if we get results?

·
Registered
613 Posts
This type of method works well for some people. Many use a basic diet, like the BRAT diet - banana, rice, apple, and toast for several days. Then gradually add a food at a time. I have had IBS for a long time and I have identified many foods I can not tolerate. It is very individualistic and very specific. For example, I can eat some brands of pasta but others affect me (same with bread). Try keeping a journal of what you eat. I can usually look back to what I ate the day before and find what has caused an IBS attack.I also make it a rule to only eat one new food a day even now and only eat a small amount of it the first time. Prevention is better than cure!

·
Banned
3,903 Posts
no food for four days omg!!!!
id go loopy if i didnt have grub for 4 days
what a fate worse than death. mikey im not knocing your suggestion please dont think i am
me 3 i could go for your method but do you think theres any benefit from it? I have heard that bread containing linseed is good for you instead of the normal stuff!

·
Registered
613 Posts
No, mikey I am not over it but I can control it much better. Until I changed doctors in 2000, I didn't even know what I had. My long-time family doctor did every kind of test and only said they were negative - never mentioned IBS. New lady doctor read my file and on first visit said it was pretty obvious I had IBS. Once identifed, I found this BB and have improved my quality of life A LOT! If you keep coming here, asking questions and reading what others say, you will learn enough to help yourself. My doctor helped, but she also was impressed with what I learned here and she had me write down the address so she could give it to her other patients. The great thing about this BB, is that you can find other people who have the same weird symptoms you do and they will try to help. Good luck with your search.Joolie, I think it is the amount of yeast in the bread that bothers me. I try to stay away from bread mostly and never eat it in restaurants especially. As for the benefit of identifying "trigger" foods, it is VERY IMPORTANT. If you avoid foods that will bring on an IBS attack, you can control your lifestyle better. For example, if I have an appointment or a meeting, I make sure I am very careful what I eat the day before. This works pretty well. Previously, I was so unreliable as to be a joke. Now I can even make morning appt. without problems. For me, this is WONDERFUL!

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
I would say go on a basic diet which works for you for four days. Something simple like boied or baked chicken, fish maybe rice and water. Then you need to work with food groups like gluten, fructose and lactose. add dairy like 4 cups of milk a day for 3 days. If it is a problem, eliminate lactose. If not keep it.To test if you can tolerate fructose try various fruit juices which do not contain sorbitol and tomato juice about 4 glasses a day for 3 days. If it is not a problem keep the juices in your diet and go on to gluten. If it is a problem then since wheat contains fructose, skip the test for gluten and eliminate fructose which includes fruits, vegetables and wheat and HFCS. If not keep the juices and test if you can tolerate gluten- have wheat products for 3 days and see how you react. Maybe something simple like pita bread without high fructose corn syrup. If it is a problem for you you know gluten is the problem. So eliminate gluten . if not keep it. This is a very simplistic test. At the end of this basic test you need to introduce fruits and vegetables carefully even if fructose is not a problem because there are different groups in vegetables which could cause a problem for you beans, mushrooms, resistant starches etc. I'll get back to you later on this

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
Ok these are the groups among veggies you need to check for every three days eliminating them as you go like in the above test if it is a problem and keeping them in if it is notThese are the groups followed by what the problem could be if a problem and followed by examples of that group. Trehalose- Low Trehalase activity - mushroomsRaffinose, Stachose- Absence of alpha-galactisodase activity- Raffinose is a complex sugar found in many cruciferous vegetables (cabbage, Brussels sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower) and in beans. Beans also contain stachyose, another form of sugar that is digested poorly.Resistant starch-nturally resistant to amylase- potatoes and bananas, or in processed foods and starches, grains, pulsesRetrograde starch(like refrigerated wheat products-pasta)-Crystallization-amylase resistanceFiber- Absence of beta-glucosidase activityAlso test for sorbitol

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
right on....when i say over it i dont imply cured totally ofcourse...but yeah this all seems to make sense so ill give it a go..
interesting about the lactose and fructose stats youve got there too...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.