Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have IBS-C BAD, since the age of 18, now I am 25.In the last few months I have been stuck in a brutal cycle.I take 4 ducolax and 3 tablespoons of perdiem with sena before bed. I wake up in the morning ready to die from pains in my stomach, I #### my brains out.Now the rest of the day I am afraid to eat. So I FAST all day, just picking on small little things, then when night comes, I try to drink my problems away, and just recently started smoking marijuanna heavly (ONLY WHEN I DRINK).When I wake up I am so hungover and sick. At that point I am starving because I only drank the day before, I eat everthing in sight, then get worried and pop my laxatives, and the cycle starts all over.I have never felt this horrible in a long time. Tonight I am posting because I am having chest pains. I know its only gas, but gas from what? I cleaned my self out last night with laxatives.On top of it, MY IC (cronic bladder problem) is another problem, although when not constipated the bladder feels a lot better.I cant get off laxatives, I cant stand life anymore! I am putting all my hope into Zelmac if they ever release the damm thing, if it doesnt work I want out of this miserable life.I work a part time job, that I am dreading going to tommorow, because I cant take laxatives tonight, so tommorow I will be all blocked up and feeling horrible. When I am blocked up, my bladder acts up also, causing me to pee every 20 mins, with a constant burning feeling.GOD I HAVE NEVER DONE ANYTHING BAD TO ANYONE IN MY LIFE, NEVER BEEN NOTHING BUT NICE TO EVERONE I HAVE EVER MET, WHY DO I HAVE TO SUFFER EVERY DAY OF MY LIFE.I guess the laxatives will eventually do some serious damage to me, but I dont care.*SORRY HAD TO VENT TO PEOPLE WHO UNDERSTAND* I haven't bitched about my problems in atleast 5 months, tonight I am so pissed I cant help it.Thanks for listening.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Damon, with all due respect and no malice intended it sounds like you have a multitude of problems. your ibs is perhaps the least of your worries. if you haven't sought out some sort of crisis counseling now would be a good time. try to stay well, mitchell

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Damon,Drinking your problems away is only causing more problems. Smoking pot?? Not a good thing..but I'm sure you don't want to hear that. I know this isn't fair and I know the frustration that you feel about being nice and then the feeling of being punished???How long have you been doing laxatives?? Have you seen a GI DR??. What tests have you done?? Not eating isn't the answer...I know I don't eat much either. Damon...what do you NEED to hear??? You can do it...I know you can. Please call someone before the booze takes over. Then you have double trouble. Like Mitchell says get counseling...but if your not ready or able then call a crisis line and don't give your name. Or vent on the board. (((((((((((HUGSSSS))))))))))))))))Deb------------------Keep moving forward...even if you must crawl.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mitch, my only problem in life is IBS.Other then that I have a normal life, lots of good friends, etc.The IBS is taking over my life, that is why I am very un-happy. I have dealt with it for years, but now I am at my breaking point.My only reason for smoking, and drinking is to help myself feel a little more happy, to help get away from the IBS for a while.Other than that I maintain a very stable life, and DO NOT have any mental problems.Ahh life was good before the age of 18.Peace.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Damon, I don't quite know what to say.
I'm glad you feel free to "spill your guts" here on this BB...that's a start! But you just have to stop drinking and stop taking so much Dulcolax, etc. And, you have to eat! Sounds like you need to start all over, with a clean slate. But you first need to make sure you like yourself and are able to get really determined to get your health under control. (I'm sorry if I sound presumptuous here, but you come across as feeling powerless.) Having bad health can be tough -- a viscious cycle -- but you have to be determined to break the cycle. Look at it as a challenge -- one that you can and will win, even though it could take quite a while!
(Believe me, I'm not C, but I can still relate to feeling down about my health, etc.)Please start today. Try to gradually wean yourself off Dulcolax; maybe try 2/day, then eventually none? Also, aren't you taking too much Perdiem (no wonder the stomach pains)? Never skip meals. Do skip the alcohol, etc. (one of the worst things you can ingest if you have IBS). Eat really healthy meals, incl. fresh fruit and veggies; if you have any questions about that, ask us! Invest in some good multivitamins, calcium, and magnesium (Mg might help with the C). Add some olive oil to your diet, and also try adding 2-3 flax oil capsules and/or ground flaxseed to your daily routine.Good luck! People here will continue to be supportive of you!P.S. Apparently, you and a couple of others were posting as I was first writing this post. Remember: IBS (and other chronic illness too) can be horrible and disruptive -- but we are responsible for our own attitudes. [This message has been edited by HipJan (edited 11-27-2000).]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Forgot one thing
With this IBS its like you cant move ahead.My life is at a standstill, cannot get a good full time job, because I always feel so sick, cant get into a serious relantionship, because again the embarssing IBS problem.What am I supposed to do? Be happy working part time, living home, and having no life?Things were so much different in my life before the problems of IBS struck, I miss those times!

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Hi Damon,Please hang in there. I know how horrible it is to have a chronic help problem, but I do think maybe there are things that can help you.Please go at once to a GI doctor. I know a lot of them suck (I have been to 4), but you must keep trying. Do you eat the Ezekiel bread? This has helped many of us C people on this board. What about Miralax? Have you tried that? There are options.Don't let this get the better of you. Don't give IBS that power. We are here. We care. We can help. Where do you live? Maybe someone knows a good GI in that area.Stacey

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Doc, put me on miralax for 3 months, the clear white tasteless powder that is used to wean people off of laxatives, it didnt do anything for me.Never tried the bread you mentioned.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Hi Damon, I would like to speak with you privately, but I didnt check to see if you posted your e mail address. I can totally relate to you. I too have horrible constipation. I am a 25 year old female who also doesnt take a whole lot of chances. I have to tell you, though, that antidepressants have done wonders for me as far as the depression (which it sounds like you have). Moreso, I am interested in this IC problem. I am afraid I might have this. I have suffered from Vestibulitis, and now horrible chronic Vulvodynia. I am gathering that you are a femal, but if you are a male, disreguard this. Please write back, and I will try to keep updated with this post. What exactly is IC, how is it treated, and how does the constipation affect it?LALA

·
Registered
511 Posts
Damon, i called it as i saw it. i am in no position to say whether you have " mental problems " or not. a professional person would be the one to determine if you would benefit from therapy. please remove the stigma you associate with seeking help for unresolved emotional issues. i have had ibs for almost 28 years and have found life to be difficult many times yet i haven't resorted to what sounds like the self destructive path you are now on. you are either in denial or my limited perception of you is way off base. please excuse my tough response to your post but it is sincere.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Damon,I can totally understand where you're coming from. I've had bad IBS-C for twelve years and am in pain pretty much daily. I do find some things that help take the edge off that that are not damaging. Please list everything you have tried and then we can all put our heads together and think of something you haven't tried that may help. I can understand your need to get some relief from this pain. However, why don't we figure out a healthier solution to try. Also how about some counseling? You seem depressed(how can we not be when we are limited and in pain) and there are therapists and medications that can help. Talking about it definitely helps me and I know meds have helped many people also. I'd probably try meds if I wasn't trying to get pregnant now. So.....let's see your list of what you have tried!Wish[This message has been edited by wishicouldgo (edited 11-27-2000).]

·
Registered
506 Posts
Have you tried Milk of Magnesia daily? Or just them Perdiem Plus on a daily basis? I've heard of a lot of people taking these somewhat safely on a daily basis - and its a laxative (still causes dependence but at least no other health damage). Maybe talk to your doctor about what laxative is safest to take every day, and then take that until you feel that your life is back in order enough to try going off of them. I wish you luck. I don't know how you feel exactly, but I worry that one day I could reach a simialar situation. I usually take a mild laxative once a week, but times when things get worse that week becomes 4 days, then three days... good luck.

·
Registered
568 Posts
(((HUGS))) to you...it sounds like you are feeling so down-in-the-dumps
You said that you are mostly C, do the Dulcolax pills help you?? I don't know how you do it...I am usually D-type, but have occasionally taken laxatives as a last resort, and the pain is so bad. It's like it feels good to get some relief from the C, but it's so painful in the process. Don't know which pain was worse, the C or the cramps from the laxatives. I also find that if I use laxatives, I am in the bathroom all day long the next couple of days with D. So it's a vicious cycle I suppose. As far as the drinking and the smoking pot goes, I can see where you are coming from. I know that it's not a great thing to do, but let me tell you that I do occasionally drink a little bit just to mellow me out. Not everyday or anything, but occasionally. I also take Tylenol PM a LOT to help me sleep...I'm scared I am going to ruin my liver because I'm taking it so much
But if I don't take it, I'm either awake all night with my stomach hurting or awake all night with my nerves on edge. So, although I know it isn't good for you, I can definitely see where you're coming from. I've been pretty much a shut-in for 4 months now, and have felt very much like I am at the end of my rope too at times. I am feeling a bit like you are...I'm a relatively good person, so why do I deserve this??
My father also has Ulcerative Colitis, same as me, and he is the nicest man on EARTH, I kid you not. I admire him so much. So I guess sometimes crummy things happen to good people. I'm not sure why. My father tells me that we all have our own crutch to carry in this life, and for some reason, this is ours. I guess he's right, but it's so hard sometimes. I am not overly religious, but I do find that prayer helps. And my father has given me some Bible verses to read and concentrate on, and those seem to help as well. If you would like, I could email them to you. I don't know what to tell you to make you feel better...but just please know that you aren't alone. I feel like I will go NUTS if I don't get out of this house soon. But I am very afraid to leave because of my D attacks. It's like my colon rules my entire life. I hope that you can find some help and get to feeling better soon. Please keep us posted on how you're doing!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi DamonI really do not know what to say, as already people have provided some excellent advice.I am certainly not going to judge you for the routes you have taken to escape the pain and frustration of IBS. I also admire you for feeling able to say to the things that you have. If nothing else, Damon, this is a new start for you. You're talking about it and you're being honest. If you can see this as a beginning to a new start, then you're on the right track. Somehow, you need to muster the energy to keep going.It's pretty much like a maze, right? Running down different avenues, trying to find answers and solutions, and often all one comes across is yet another brick wall. The temptation to bang ones head against that wall can be overwhelming at times.Pot, drink, whatever, can all be attractive as they numb the pain and they remove oneself from the reality of the situation. Escape. God, we've all looked for it in various ways.I would just urge you to talk to a counsellor, somebody trained to listen and not judge - not just take your money. I would suggest that you need to talk this out, get it all out in the open in a situation where you feel safe, valued, secure, supported and thus able to be honest. In this kind of situation words are not cheap, they are the building blocks to a new future.Take care Damon.Andy------------------ http://www.dustyspringfield.co.uk/

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
DAMON:For people with C-type IBS we have been offering this all natural product from Europe now, which has been in use there for 45 years...it works and its cheap...for the C part of the problem. Tak a look at www.leapallergy.com/therpay.html To help patients with IBS who sufer stress and anxiety-related problems we have begun begun recommending, and using ourselves, Dr.'s Weinstock and Lipsitz Stress reduction Program on cd's. It is on our siit or you can go to Dr. W's site at www.ibstherapy.com and take a look.These would be my suggestions for you at this time, assuming you are under the care of a gastroenterologist. If not, that would be my suggestion.Take CareMNL_______________ www.leapallergy.com

·
Registered
462 Posts
Oooh, Sweetie; I can really relate to what you are saying.I have IBS-C also and pretty bad too.It does suck and interfere with life. Not every one here has IBS to the same degree- thats how some can say "tough it out" or some other slogan that is all but useless. If we could make it - get on with life- we would!!!I too get depressed. I'm fairly young-30- and single etc. I had to give up my apartment, put all my stuff in storage, and move in with my cranky, old parents.Until a couple of years ago I never had IBS, or even a bad stomach. I believe I got IBS from some sort of nerve damage I suffered during a severe case of "food poisoning". Never had it before then! Now ... I've got to agree with some of the advice given . Dude... you are dynomiteing your guts out with all those laxatives!And you must eat!Also alcohol on a empty stomach!!!OOOWWWEEE!I must add... marijuana is medically recognized as a pain reliever, muscle relaxant, and anti-spasmotic.... no comment.Hang in there ! You are not alone!

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Damon, I am glad to see you posting, but sorry you are still having such a rough time. I have tried e-mailing you a couple of times over the past few months to see how you were doing, but the e-mails came back saying they couldn't be delivered. The last time we "spoke", you were going to try the Experience product. Did you ever order it or try it? It sounds to me like you are suffering from depression, and beleive me I don't blame you..my chronic "C" leaves me feeling depression many times. I know you have been to doctors, but it sounds like it is time for a return visit, if you haven't been in a while, that is. Beleive it or not, depression can make the "C" worse. Maybe the doctor could prescribe a mild anti-depressant? The booze and pot is not the answer. They might make things tolerable at the time, but the price you pay the next day and your overall health is simply not worth it. I have been a slave to laxatives, for most of my life also, but 4 Ducolax and 3 tablespoons of Perdiem w/senna is way too much to be taking on a regular basis. The cannister of Perdiem says not to exceed 5 teaspoons in a 24 hour period, so you are not only exceeding the recommended dosage of that, but adding the Ducolax on top of it. Please try to start weaning yourself off little by little. I would suggest starting by taking only 2 Ducolax and 2 tablespoons of Perdiem for a short time. Then cut down to 1 Ducolax and 1 tablespoon of Perdiem and see how that goes. Please keep in touch and let us know how you are doing.------------------"Remember To Stop and Smell the Roses"Rose (C-type)

·
Registered
118 Posts
HI Damon, I am 22 and have had IBS-C for 2 years now. It runs in my family and up until now, no one has done much to solve their problems. But as someone going to medical school next year (fingers crossed!) I was I was very adament about finding out everything I could to deal with this problem because it interests me and I HATE feeling gross like this constipation can make me. MIne was getting REALLY bad and in the beginnig I used laxatives to the point that they didn't even work anymore. Now, I haven't used a laxative for over a year--they cause permanent, irreversible damage. Here is what I do ( i cut and pasted this from another response I submitted today):First off, you may want to figure out what foods set you off by keeping a daily food diary. Mine are for sure refined sugar and fried foods. For some people it is refined flour, citric acid, milk products etc. I kept a food diary for a few months and discovered what I consistently eat before I get constipated and I tried cutting those thingsout. Also, a God-send has been Mg supplements. I take 0-3000mg per day. They are a cheap solution. But they don't always solve my problem-- most of the time they help significantly, though. Then as forlaxatives and enemas, they can be bad because they make your body forget how to work. I would optfor Milk of Magnesia. It tastes awful, but if taken 2-3 hours after eating, is a very good solution within several hours. It has no stimulants like laxatives do. It is very gentle. Its an old reliable solution that has been around for forever. Thosesolutions seem to be pretty reliable in my experience. Beyond that, I take Lactobacillus Acidophilous at 14 billion (sounds like a lot more than it is) bacteria per capsule. I take 2/ day as well as 2 GNC Ultra-Mega Vitamins and 2000mg of Vitamin C (if taken at high doses it is a laxative that is commonly used in Germany). Then I take the Magnesium supplements, as I said. Another thing I likeas do many others is Sprouted Wheat bread which I buy at a local natural foods store. It tastes like wheat and isn't much more expensive than regular wheat, although it has no preservatives so I usually store 1/2 the loaf in the freezer or else it may get moldy before I can finish it. Finally, I often times take 1 or 2 Fiber Choice (not fiber Con-- there IS a difference) supplements (kinda tasty) before bed (they can give you the farts if taken during the day :)). If only people had told me about fiber and this other stuff a long time ago I would have done less damage to my colon with laxatives and all. But I think that by not using any stimulants and as little Milk of Magnesia as possible, my colon has regained some of its own motility.I, too, am looking forward to trying Zelmac. It isn't the last drug of its type that is being worked on, either. So there will be even more options in the future. For the most part, doctors have proven useless in this area because not much is known. Only recently has attention been brought to it. I understand your frustration-- I get very crabby when I am not working properly. BUt I have found that I am very able to deal with it quite well. If you have any other questions or suggestions for me, feel free to email me at laney_001###hotmail.com.I will keep you in my prayers, Damon. I really do sympathize with you. Best wishes. ------------------Laney_001IBS-C

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I think you are going to have to start from "scratch" so to speak. This is something they made me do when I had a blockage and I think it might help you get off of the laxitives. No food or water until you start to fart on your own, somewhere around 12-24 hours. When this happens you eat only soft foods for a few days, oatmeal, soups with mostly broth, that kind of food. Then if you can't go take some "Docusate Sodium" it is a stool softener that is very safe to take. When you start going, then slowly add more solid foods to your diet. Just make sure you are still having bowel movements during all of this, if you are having trouble then back off of the solid food again. You should also start taking some Magnesium, this will also help move things along. It may take you weeks but it also may take only days for you get off of the laxitives. Good luck with all of this.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you all for the great replies, I will keep you posted, and thanx again to listening to my little rampage..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.