Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im 20 years old, and im in great health. I eat sushi probably 1-2 a week from the same place, and have not had any problems with this (maybe sometimes when I drink lots of water, i get a little bloating, but goes away after a few hours). I went to eat sushi on sunday, and i remember running like 2 blocks (cuz it was raining) right after i had sushi (and yes i had lots of water). When i got home, I had this massive bloating... My stomach hurt like hecK! So i just tried to forget about it... But a few hours later, it got worse! And i felt nauseas causing me to vomit. I vomited and vomited. Felt a little better, but still had the Pain in my stomach, and still felt VERY FULL. Not to mention the fact that i felt very very cold throughout the night (fever like symptoms)Had a horrible nights rest, and at 7:30am in the morning, i had to get up real fast and go puke some more (even worse than the night before). throughout the day (monday) just felt really bloated, and could not go to the bathroom, as if i was constapated. Its wednesday, and i still feel somewhat bloated. How can I release everything thats making me feel like this? Please help. This has never happened to me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Vikki, thanx for the reply!I think i can rule out the sushi's freshness, because my girlfriend had the same thing, and she is fine. And i have not had any symptoms of sickness of Diarreah. I pretty much have not been able to go to the bathroom. I try to Burp, but its just so hard to do so. Yesterday, i had half a turkey sandwich, and for dinner a chicken caesar wrap, yet, still no chance of going to the bathroom for #2
.. What do you think?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Vikki, thanx for the reply!I think i can rule out the sushi's freshness, because my girlfriend had the same thing, and she is fine. And i have not had any symptoms of sickness of Diarreah. I pretty much have not been able to go to the bathroom. I try to Burp, but its just so hard to do so. Yesterday, i had half a turkey sandwich, and for dinner a chicken caesar wrap, yet, still no chance of going to the bathroom for #2
.. What do you think?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Did you have anything different than your girlfriend? It sounds like you may have had a touch of food poisoning. Even if it was a bit of lettuce, it could have made you sick if it had touched anything that was bad. Maybe find out exactly what she had, compare it with what you had, and go from there.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Did you have anything different than your girlfriend? It sounds like you may have had a touch of food poisoning. Even if it was a bit of lettuce, it could have made you sick if it had touched anything that was bad. Maybe find out exactly what she had, compare it with what you had, and go from there.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I does sound kind of like food poisoning but not necessarily form the sushi - it takes far longer than the walk home to develop food poisoning, typically 6-8 hours. What about what you ate earlier? No matter what - makes sure you are drinkning a lot - dehydration can cause lots of problems and water will help with the constipation.nancy

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I does sound kind of like food poisoning but not necessarily form the sushi - it takes far longer than the walk home to develop food poisoning, typically 6-8 hours. What about what you ate earlier? No matter what - makes sure you are drinkning a lot - dehydration can cause lots of problems and water will help with the constipation.nancy

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanx guys, your being a big help!
I had not had anything to eat prior to that, because i had sushi like at 7:45pm that night (the whole day was a 4 hour plane ride, and 3 hour drive. along with a 4 hour sleep. I felt great before going to dinner. My girlfriend and I had exactly the same thing, because we shared a big tray of different kinds of sushi, and had the same entrees. We both had water. Like i said, we had exactly the same thing. Im at work, im feeling "ok" but still not near 100%. Just had an alka seltzer, and have had today an orange juice along with an apple juice... What do you guys recommend i should eat? or drink? or what? ps: thanx again for your help!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanx guys, your being a big help!
I had not had anything to eat prior to that, because i had sushi like at 7:45pm that night (the whole day was a 4 hour plane ride, and 3 hour drive. along with a 4 hour sleep. I felt great before going to dinner. My girlfriend and I had exactly the same thing, because we shared a big tray of different kinds of sushi, and had the same entrees. We both had water. Like i said, we had exactly the same thing. Im at work, im feeling "ok" but still not near 100%. Just had an alka seltzer, and have had today an orange juice along with an apple juice... What do you guys recommend i should eat? or drink? or what? ps: thanx again for your help!

·
Registered
516 Posts
Do you have allergies to fish? My husband suddenly developed a fish allergy as an adult and will have severe stomach cramps and throwing up if he eats it. Sometimes he has to be careful w/ Sushi as they tend to use fish or imitation crab instead of the real thing..You can develop an allergy at anytime in life...he did and use to be able to eat fish all the time. Also, correction to the upper comment about the timing of food poisoning...I read that food poisoining can occur anytime between 2-72 hrs of eating...just depends on the bacteria and where it settles, etc. Normally w/ a stomach flu, you will have diarrhea too...I think it's something you ate or allergy to a food.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Do you have allergies to fish? My husband suddenly developed a fish allergy as an adult and will have severe stomach cramps and throwing up if he eats it. Sometimes he has to be careful w/ Sushi as they tend to use fish or imitation crab instead of the real thing..You can develop an allergy at anytime in life...he did and use to be able to eat fish all the time. Also, correction to the upper comment about the timing of food poisoning...I read that food poisoining can occur anytime between 2-72 hrs of eating...just depends on the bacteria and where it settles, etc. Normally w/ a stomach flu, you will have diarrhea too...I think it's something you ate or allergy to a food.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
You can get food poisoning from a good restaurant. And like someone else said, if there was even a bit of contaminated lettuce or something in one piece of sushi that you ate but your girlfriend didn't... or you could very well have a stomach bug. If you hadn't eaten anything all day, your stomach can react negatively when you finally do eat a biggish meal, even if you're healthy. And if you were harboring a virus, that meal might have been what made it show its presence...Don't worry about not going #2. Remember, you vomitted up your stomach contents. So that's a whole meal that is not going to come out the other end. And it's not going to help push down whatever was in your intestines. It seems like getting some food in the intestines can get things moving and prompt a bowel movement.One more thing... was this sushi, as in veggies and maybe some cooked meat, or did you have raw fish? Because even if you've eaten raw fish thousands of times before, all it takes it a bite of meat with something bad in it to make you sick. You said it was a few hours before you started vomiting...sounds like enough time for a food poisoning reaction to me.Have you tried taking some gas-x to take down the bloating? Make sure you're keeping up with your fluids, not only water, but Sprite or 7UP or Gatorade if you're not being able to eat.I hope you feel better soon!

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
You can get food poisoning from a good restaurant. And like someone else said, if there was even a bit of contaminated lettuce or something in one piece of sushi that you ate but your girlfriend didn't... or you could very well have a stomach bug. If you hadn't eaten anything all day, your stomach can react negatively when you finally do eat a biggish meal, even if you're healthy. And if you were harboring a virus, that meal might have been what made it show its presence...Don't worry about not going #2. Remember, you vomitted up your stomach contents. So that's a whole meal that is not going to come out the other end. And it's not going to help push down whatever was in your intestines. It seems like getting some food in the intestines can get things moving and prompt a bowel movement.One more thing... was this sushi, as in veggies and maybe some cooked meat, or did you have raw fish? Because even if you've eaten raw fish thousands of times before, all it takes it a bite of meat with something bad in it to make you sick. You said it was a few hours before you started vomiting...sounds like enough time for a food poisoning reaction to me.Have you tried taking some gas-x to take down the bloating? Make sure you're keeping up with your fluids, not only water, but Sprite or 7UP or Gatorade if you're not being able to eat.I hope you feel better soon!

·
Registered
476 Posts
It doesnt matter if you ha the same as your girl friendm she still had a different piece of fish to the one you had. hers could have been OK bgut your fish might mot have been. .i think it was the sushi or something else you ate that day.xare you better now?

·
Registered
476 Posts
It doesnt matter if you ha the same as your girl friendm she still had a different piece of fish to the one you had. hers could have been OK bgut your fish might mot have been. .i think it was the sushi or something else you ate that day.xare you better now?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanx for the info, probably was. Yes, im pretty much back to normal. Last night i had some pasta, and some some soup, and everything seems allright. This morning i had a sandwich, and i just had lunch.. Everything is perfect.. (and went to Bathroom too!! ) THANX GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!! for everything... thanks for asking Vikkie!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.