Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know you are all there with me... I just found this site last week, but have had IBSD for about 3 years. I am 29. I recently quit my job to finish college full time, and the IBS flared up with a vengeance. For some reason, I had it under control at work. But now, when I am in school, I am in constant pain and the anxiety is worse than ever. After reading some of the discussions, I am now taking calcium when I eat (which is rarely), and I am back to taking immodium every day. I also take Citrucel everyday, which helped me in the past. Does anyone think that taking immodium AND citrucel (a bulker) would be a problem? I am going back to the doctor to demand some anti-anxiety drugs because I cannot go on like this. Even though he's been nothing but supportive, I am afraid my husband is going to leave me since I won't leave the house very often. Can't say that I would blame him...

·
Registered
359 Posts
Welcome Lifeonhold.
I don't think that you'll have any problems with using Citrucel and imodium. I've done it without any problems. I have switched to Questran and am so happy I did. I've only had D once since starting the Questran in May.I use an antianxiety as needed and my life is so much better than before. I use xanax 0.25mg 1/2 tab when I have to travel or be in a meeting etc. My doctor thinks that my dosage isn't even enough to notice. It may be just a placebo, but I don't care as long as it works for me.I also started the hypnosis CDs about the same time that I started the Questran and I think they help me to be calmer.Good luck. I hope you find the best solution for you.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what is the Questran for? I've tried Xanax before, for when I had to fly somewhere (I hate flying) when my IBS wasn't an issue. It seemed to work, so maybe I will ask the doc for that and see if it helps me.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Questran (colestid is the pill form) binds excess bile. It can control diarrhea in people who have bile salt diarrhea (usually caused by gall bladder disease or after gall bladder is removed).

·
Registered
482 Posts
before you give up hope in curing yourself have you tried keeping a food and drink diary, alternates like probiotics (Acidophilus), slippery elm, aloe vera gel/juice? also if you are eating once a day then its a shock to the stomach when you eat, this may also trigger D.Try the white diet... chicken, fish, white bread, white rice, potatoe, pasta, bland but stay on a few weeksas it takes a few weeks for Gi tracts to calm down
or if you want to keep eating normal make sure you keep a food dn drink diary adn rate how ill you are =)check out hethers site .. dont forget to explain to your husband wha we have and how it can affect us =) understanding what we have for those that dont suffer can be a great help =) my bf can spot oncoming attacks before me sometimes and he knows completely what i have, what affects me and we can always leave no matter where we are or whywe are there if im not well, which is a greta anixety relief
also if you drive life may be a bit easier, god i hate IBS and BUSES!!! hehe if in doubt about druugs combinations ring your pharmacist. i went through a house bound stage when i was 18 so i know what you are going through and what you are thinking but kno this theres light at the end of the tunnel and we are all here too guide you through.Im 21 now IBS fairly under control but i have to be careful with food and drink, im in my 2nd year at uni, almost completely on a 1st class honours so we must beable to find success and keep it, even wih IBS =)good luck and keep your chin up =)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have tried various diets. Atkins (a milder version) seemed to help for a while, but I am quasi-vegetarian. A couple of years ago I bought Heather's IBS cookbook, and it helped - for a while. I haven't tried the South Beach, but I am thinking about it. By the way, is there anyone here that has a gluten intolerance and IBS-D? I have heard of it for the IBS-C, but not the other way around. That is one thing I have not tried - cutting out gluten.

·
Registered
482 Posts
get some food intolerance tests if you can, i was refused. Food intolerances can cause cramping and D too. i didnt mean a normal person diet... i meant eat whatever you do normal wrtie it asll down every ingredient and then rate your illness and how quick you are ill... in a few months there maybe a pattern adn if so eliminate what you think is causing the problem =) then after a month reintroduce one at a time, if give D remove again

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.