Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well...I've been sick for about 4 years now...or so I thought...after reading more about IBS i believe it may have started farther back...During my first year of marriage three years ago, I noticed that I'd get gassy and sick on a regular basis. Gas seemed to fill my entire body so much that I would beg for a needle to pop myself and relieve the pressure. I also figured I was lactose intolerant because milk seemed to be the main culprit.2 years ago I went to my family doctor for testing. They started by first taking blood samples but unfortunately they hit a nerve in my arm (we believe). I was paralyzed for a month and had electrical pains all the time. Two months later I was in a car accident. The accident took six+ months to deal with...Now I'm back to square one...What I went to the doctor three years ago for and somehow got sidetracked from, MY TUMMY.I'm sick all the time. It's past the lactose intolerance stage and has moved on to include the intolerance of grease, fast foods, processed foods, beef, pork, and dairy. I'm nauseated all the freakin' time. If my stomach isnt in a knot, I'm having sever cramps. I am CONSTIPATED. I am waiting on my period to come so I can joyfully have Diarrhea. And I'm only 23 years old.They say stress plays a big role. Yes, I've spent the last 3 years especially 2001 stressed out of my mind. Life! What I realize is that I've always gotten cramps and diarrhea since i was in my early teens when i was scared, frightened, stressed etc. I have amazing mood swings because of this.My family doctor (internist) diagnosed me w/IBS with out any testing I've been reading about. He says my symptoms and blood work rule other things out it seems ???...lol...He put me on a anti-spasmic and on PAXIL...is the PAXIL thing normal...although truthfully I think its working w/my stress level...but its only been 5 days...actually...Who else has dealt w/this response? I'm just so overwhelmed. I just read this book called The First Year of IBS by Heather Van Vorous. I've never been partial to cooking. (I CANT COOK) And I've never enjoyed food that much. So how the heck am I suppose to do all this gourmet cooking and scheduling??? Ugh...I don't know where the heck to begin.Did I forget to mention I commute an hour to work every day? So I'm gone 10.5 hours a day. So, yes I'm tired all the time. So its hard to get into a healthy routine when I'm strapped for time. I'm so frightened that I will lose my job or have to make a drastic career change.I feel like I'm making all this up. But I know I get sick everyday 24hours a day. This isn't normal!

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
I don't feel you are making any of it up. After a prolonged period of stress , your illness can definitely take a turn for the worse.Can you get your doc to do some basic tests like colonoscopy or something ? gall bladder?Give paxil some more time to work. I think it will do you good.

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
I don't feel you are making any of it up. After a prolonged period of stress , your illness can definitely take a turn for the worse.Can you get your doc to do some basic tests like colonoscopy or something ? gall bladder?Give paxil some more time to work. I think it will do you good.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
It took 2 weeks for the Elavil (another antidepressant) to start making me feel better, so hang in there. You exactly described me when I was 24. I'm 31 now but I still remember feeling like I was going to yak all the time, and the pain, and the praying for D just so the C would stop, and then feeling relief when the D would end, and on and on. Even your list of foods that trigger you matches mine. I felt like surely I'm dying of SOMETHING because it just isn't normal for someone so young to feel like this! I did have all the tests done (minus a colonscopy) and each time they told me everything was "normal" I just wanted to throw something and scream. Mostly I just waited until I got home alone and would just cry and cry. Have the doctors told you that you just have to learn to live with it yet?I am surprised that they did no tests on you. IBS is a diagnosis of exclusion because it can mimic more serious problems. Although it does sound like IBS in general, I would think they would want to make sure. Can you perhaps find another gastroenterologist?Give the Paxil a couple of weeks; it needs to build up in your system. IBS can be scary and make you feel so alone. Hopefully through this BB you can learn to get your hands around it and get some of the symptoms under control. As you can see, you are definately not alone in dealing with IBS!
I would recommend another book called "Gastrointestinal Health" by Steven Peikin, MD. You can get it at amazon.com. It has a lot of good information and recipes that aren't as exotic as Heather's, maybe you'd be more comfortable with them. When I was in your EXACT situation and found that book, just the first few pages made me feel like I wasn't alone and the information and "diet" helped me a lot. I am serious when I say the way you describe yourself is a lot like me at that age, and I've managed to make the IBS swings less gruesome. It's not easy, but there IS hope.hang in there!

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
It took 2 weeks for the Elavil (another antidepressant) to start making me feel better, so hang in there. You exactly described me when I was 24. I'm 31 now but I still remember feeling like I was going to yak all the time, and the pain, and the praying for D just so the C would stop, and then feeling relief when the D would end, and on and on. Even your list of foods that trigger you matches mine. I felt like surely I'm dying of SOMETHING because it just isn't normal for someone so young to feel like this! I did have all the tests done (minus a colonscopy) and each time they told me everything was "normal" I just wanted to throw something and scream. Mostly I just waited until I got home alone and would just cry and cry. Have the doctors told you that you just have to learn to live with it yet?I am surprised that they did no tests on you. IBS is a diagnosis of exclusion because it can mimic more serious problems. Although it does sound like IBS in general, I would think they would want to make sure. Can you perhaps find another gastroenterologist?Give the Paxil a couple of weeks; it needs to build up in your system. IBS can be scary and make you feel so alone. Hopefully through this BB you can learn to get your hands around it and get some of the symptoms under control. As you can see, you are definately not alone in dealing with IBS!
I would recommend another book called "Gastrointestinal Health" by Steven Peikin, MD. You can get it at amazon.com. It has a lot of good information and recipes that aren't as exotic as Heather's, maybe you'd be more comfortable with them. When I was in your EXACT situation and found that book, just the first few pages made me feel like I wasn't alone and the information and "diet" helped me a lot. I am serious when I say the way you describe yourself is a lot like me at that age, and I've managed to make the IBS swings less gruesome. It's not easy, but there IS hope.hang in there!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanx so much!I know I'm not alone. I just feel like everyone around me thinks I'm lying. They dont realize how terrible it can get. Lately I havent had as much pain. (I haven't been eating much either) But the nausea and stomach movements is getting to me right now. I cant move w/out wanting to get sick. I called off work to day. I work in engineering in this lil tiny cubicle...lol...w/out a window to the sign. That can get depressing. I'm really hoping I can deal w/this so I wont lose my job. That's what frightens me the most. It's sad...I'm worrying about work when I should be worrying about my body!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanx so much!I know I'm not alone. I just feel like everyone around me thinks I'm lying. They dont realize how terrible it can get. Lately I havent had as much pain. (I haven't been eating much either) But the nausea and stomach movements is getting to me right now. I cant move w/out wanting to get sick. I called off work to day. I work in engineering in this lil tiny cubicle...lol...w/out a window to the sign. That can get depressing. I'm really hoping I can deal w/this so I wont lose my job. That's what frightens me the most. It's sad...I'm worrying about work when I should be worrying about my body!

·
Registered
459 Posts
Dear troubledheart, please know that you are not alon, and that we all believe (and some of us, know) what you are going through. I, too, am 23. I also do not think my doc knows what i go through, and he's just written it off as IBS, without doing any tests, just like you. Well, I have to go for now, but I'd realy like to talk, so if you want you could e-mail me...marriah###themail.com. Hope you start to feel better today.....
, Marriah

·
Registered
459 Posts
Dear troubledheart, please know that you are not alon, and that we all believe (and some of us, know) what you are going through. I, too, am 23. I also do not think my doc knows what i go through, and he's just written it off as IBS, without doing any tests, just like you. Well, I have to go for now, but I'd realy like to talk, so if you want you could e-mail me...marriah###themail.com. Hope you start to feel better today.....
, Marriah

·
Registered
10 Posts
Troubled Heart, you are NOT alone. Reading your story reminds me of mine. I was diagnosed with IBS in '97, but my doc didn't do any tests to rule out other things. I too have a very stressful job, and my IBS tends to flare up when I'm under stress or my emotions aren't in check. I just recently went to a GI doc and we're doing a colonoscopy to rule out some other problems. Unfortuately, IBS tends to hang on!! The doc who diagnosed the IBS put me on Serzone, an antidepressant, and that seemed to help me out a lot. Didn't want to be on that my whole life, so I got off of them. Now three years later, I'm still having problems, found a new family doc and he sent me on to a GI. Good luck to you! And I hope you get to feeling better soon.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Troubled Heart, you are NOT alone. Reading your story reminds me of mine. I was diagnosed with IBS in '97, but my doc didn't do any tests to rule out other things. I too have a very stressful job, and my IBS tends to flare up when I'm under stress or my emotions aren't in check. I just recently went to a GI doc and we're doing a colonoscopy to rule out some other problems. Unfortuately, IBS tends to hang on!! The doc who diagnosed the IBS put me on Serzone, an antidepressant, and that seemed to help me out a lot. Didn't want to be on that my whole life, so I got off of them. Now three years later, I'm still having problems, found a new family doc and he sent me on to a GI. Good luck to you! And I hope you get to feeling better soon.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I am really appreciating all of y'alls postings. I don't feel so alone and "crazy". I have a followup appointment w/the doc on the 26th. I'm going to make sure he refers me to a GI for the right tests to make sure. P.S. I have a bad feeling that my C is about to turn
D. Sheesh...will it make up its mine???

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.