Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just now started reading about IBS and trying to understand this disorder, which I've had for about 15+ years.On thing that I really don't understand, is how I can have these terrible attacks of D not 15 minutes after I eat! It takes a long time for food to go through the digestive process and make its way into the intestines, right? How, then, can I have a terrible b.m. when the food has seemingly not had time to go anywhere???Also, can someone suggest what I can eventually eat *after* having an attack? As I posted in an earlier message, I have nausea and discomfort a day or even two days after a severe attack; I don't feel like eating anything during this time, except maybe some crackers. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
209 Posts
sef - hi! The attacks can come on so soon after you eat because of paristalsis, the wave-like muscular contractions that the gut uses to move matter along. The paristalsis can start with the stomach, and the contractions may reach the colon and want to expell what is already in the colon.This is common in IBS sufferers - that they have to "go" so soon after eating. The food in the stomach gets the whole system moving, in our case, out of control.The nausea is also a common symptom of IBS. Unfortunatly, what you can eat becomes a very individual matter. Its basically trial and error for you, because we all seem to react to different things. Sorry I can't help you on that one!Good luck, and welcome. Hope you find some relief here.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i am new to this site. i am thought to have IBS, but i am still going through tests to make sure its nothing worse. i have often wondered why i always have to go so soon. i am not sure why myself but i wanted to say.... youa re not alone!kitters

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
A good thing to try is Caltrate Plus (purple and white box). Calcium has a binding effect and has helped a LOT of people with the D. Most start with one a day and gradually up the dose if needed. I also took Levsin because it helped my morning nausea (I took it at night because it made me loopy). Taking that before my evening meal got rid of the D.Ty

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's the stimulation of food or drink into your system. I once timed my "intestinal travel time" and found it to be 18 hours from mouth to out. 15 minutes after you eat, most of the food should still be churning away in your belly, but causing grief in your bowels. Don't ya just hate it?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Sef, I used to wonder why I needed to GO right after putting the smallest morsel into my stomache.It seems like the ibs bowel is just ten times as active and sensitive as an ordinary one -but isn't it a funspoiler? Caltrate Plus in the purple box has been a TREMENDOUS help to me in regulating D and urges. Try it for a few weeks and see if it helps. bachiana

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
sef,Go get some Caltrate Plus in the purple and white box. I started with 3 a day to get an immediate effect. Take one with each meal. It works great for diarrhea. Let us know if we can help. After that gets under control you may need to adjust the dose if you get a bit constipated. Not my problem.Linda

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the feedback! It is very reassuring to find folks who know what you're going through....for so many years, I had no idea what was wrong --- even though I had consulted with doctors (who "could find anything"). I am excited (I know that sounds goofy to non-IBS sufferers) to learn more about it, and maybe *finally* find some degree of relief!!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts