Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else sometimes wish you had cancer or something like that than IBS? I feel awful even thinking that but sometimes I am jealous of cancer patients since everyone understands cancer and there are tons of treatments out there. I want to be clear that I do NOT want cancer, I just wish that if I had to have health problems I wish they were health problems that people could understand and doctors could help with...

·
Registered
779 Posts
There are so many people that wish that all they had was IBS. It sounds cruel, but there are alot of people that have it so much worse than us. I am thankful that I am not confined to a wheelchair or have a terminal illness. I was a nurse and saw so much that was heartbreaking; people taking chemo and have no hair, but have hope that the chemo will help even when it won't; new quadraplegics who can't move a muscle and will have to have an attendent to do everything for them from then on. So with all the pain, D and C that I have gone through over the years, I am thankful that it isn't something worse.

·
Banned
202 Posts
I think that IBS is becoming more common. When I mention it, people say they have heard of it but are not familiar with symptoms.I guess when people learn more about it, we won't have to give (sometimes embarrasing)explanations all the time.I have gotten more help on this site than at the doctors' office.
IBS PIONEERS

·
Registered
126 Posts
I've never wished that I had cancer ever. In fact colon cancer along with many other cancers run in my family and I worry to death about getting cancer. My mom had breast cancer and she tells me you can't worry about these things because you have no control over them and they will happen whether you're ready or not. I think that Ben Stiller/Jennifer Aniston movie "Along came Polly" made the whole world more aware of IBS. It actually made fun of IBS but also explaining what a pain in the ass it can be. There are so many other people with illnesses in the world that have it tons worse than us IBS suffers, you're not going to die from a little bit of C or D. It's annoying but I think most IBS people make due with it. I have a fairly bad case of alternating C/D and then there are times when it settles down. I just don't get the people who claim they cant work and leave the house. Why let an illness rule your life? There are so many medicines out there and while they might not cure it, they can at least help you deal with it and keep it somewhat under control.

·
Registered
779 Posts
You said a mouthful. To let IBS rule your life is giving in to it. It IS a pain in the ass, but it isn't a death sentence. We must learn to deal with it and do the best we can. Sure, there are going to be bad days, but by accepting what can't be changed and do something about what can be changed will give us more control over a very aggravating situation. Do something positive that will take your mind off it. Read, watch TV, play cards, do needlepoint, anything you chose that will be a positive activity. It does help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.