Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is strange, but whenever I have pains I would always instinctively curl up in a balland the pains would of course continue. But lately I decided to try the opposite: streching outwhen the pain hits, and strangely enough, the pain seems to somewhat dissipate when I do.Does this help anyone else?Any explanations as to WHY this helps?

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
This is my guess:Sometimes when folks curl up in a ball.. they tense up too. But when one stretches all the way out.. one has more of a tendency to relax muscles instead of tense them up.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I often find it is easier to lay flat on my back when I have pain, it seems to diffuse it somewhat. Or maybe like what BQ said, when we curl up we tense up as well. Before I had IBS I used to sleep on my side all the time. Since the IBS set in, I rarely can sleep on my side, I seem to feel more of whatever is going on in my colon, when I am on my side. Weird.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
They say it helps to relieve pain when one lays on one's left side in particular. And I have found that it DOES help relieve some of my pain when I do lay on the left side. I have my knees bent .. but I am NOT totally curled up.. just on my left side with knees gently bent.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts