Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Korean Times08-12-2004 18:54"Bifidus Used to Deliver Genes to Human Body""A team of Korean scientists has discovered a way to transfer therapeutic genes into the human body using bifidus for the first time in the world. After years of intensive research, the scientists, led by Seoul National University professor Ji Geun-eog, on Thursday announced they have developed the delivery system, which is expected to help safely prevent fatal disease. ``Up until now, we used pathogens to express antibiotic genes and deliver them into the body, which proved efficient but dangerous. By contrast, the bifidus expression system ensures safety as well as efficiency,'' Ji said. Bifidus is a friendly bacteria that helps the large intestine restore a healthy environment necessary for absorbing water from food and flushes the remaining waste out of the body. As bifidus is good for the human body, therapeutic genes-carrying bifidus can be taken easily, brightening the technology's commercial viability. ...Ji's team has applied for patents in the United States, Japan and European nations for their medical findings and should begin receiving them from next month. ``We developed source technologies with bifidus, arguably the most prominent carrier to deliver genes into the human body. We also expect to make a handsome profit from it,'' Ji said. Ji's team also expects the breakthrough will have a great synergy effect combined with its previous findings that a certain protein in bifidus, called bori, prevents and cures rotavirus-caused diarrhea. ...``To upgrade our bifidus products based on the bifidus vector system, we are currently trying to find ways of expressing bori protein en masse through our new-found vector system,'' Ji said. " http://times.hankooki.com/lpage/tech/20040...18532611800.htm May be asking too much, but a possible future replacement for all antibiotics???Wouldn't that be nice! (& darn profitable)

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
There's no explanation for how this works. And there doesn't seem to be any reference to this or any work by this person published in a Western journal. I also can't find any reference to him at Seoul National University (but this may be due a website's search bug).
quote:May be asking too much, but a possible future replacement for all antibiotics??
Huh?

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
There's no explanation for how this works. And there doesn't seem to be any reference to this or any work by this person published in a Western journal. I also can't find any reference to him at Seoul National University (but this may be due a website's search bug).
quote:May be asking too much, but a possible future replacement for all antibiotics??
Huh?

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
"huh?" I get that, the confusion. But if you read this again...
quote:``Up until now, we used pathogens to express antibiotic genes and deliver them into the body, which proved efficient but dangerous. By contrast, the bifidus expression system ensures safety as well as efficiency,'' Ji said.
This is I think, in their minds, an alternative to antibiotics. I also wish there was more info, but we'll probably have to wait until their patents are granted.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"huh?" I get that, the confusion. But if you read this again...
quote:``Up until now, we used pathogens to express antibiotic genes and deliver them into the body, which proved efficient but dangerous. By contrast, the bifidus expression system ensures safety as well as efficiency,'' Ji said.
This is I think, in their minds, an alternative to antibiotics. I also wish there was more info, but we'll probably have to wait until their patents are granted.

·
Banned
2,913 Posts

·
Banned
2,913 Posts

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:alternative to antibiotics
It's certainly not that. They are antibiotic genes. It's just a different delivery method and one that has potentially bad side effects..
quote:until now, we used pathogens to express antibiotic genes and deliver them into the body, which proved efficient but dangerou
What happens if you have side effects to antibiotics now made by these bacteria? Do you need to take a real antibiotic to kill the antibiotic producing bacteria?

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:alternative to antibiotics
It's certainly not that. They are antibiotic genes. It's just a different delivery method and one that has potentially bad side effects..
quote:until now, we used pathogens to express antibiotic genes and deliver them into the body, which proved efficient but dangerou
What happens if you have side effects to antibiotics now made by these bacteria? Do you need to take a real antibiotic to kill the antibiotic producing bacteria?

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:Good luck regulating your doseage with this form of treatment
It's worse than that. Antibiotics are meant for a week, two weeks. How does one stop it?
quote:its supposed to be a new safe way to treat disease
"Supposed" doesn't mean "is".

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:Good luck regulating your doseage with this form of treatment
It's worse than that. Antibiotics are meant for a week, two weeks. How does one stop it?
quote:its supposed to be a new safe way to treat disease
"Supposed" doesn't mean "is".

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.