Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi There, I've had IBS D for the last 5 years and like everybody else - I've gone through a process of elimination of which foods could be responsible. I've tried various toothpastes - stopped using mouthwash, chewing gum etc. I've tried everything I could think of but my condition kept getting worse - I'm in my mid forties and weigh less than I did at 16! Last Wednesday was the worst day I've had in 5 uncomfortable years - all I ate was peas and chicken and it nearly turned me inside out. I read on this forum about a chap who tried taking vitamin D supplements and being cured. So I started taking vitamin D (just the basic cheap version) on Thursday last. On Friday I was as bad as usual - Saturday slightly less so - Sunday was even gentler again and today is the first time I've had just two regular, firm bowel movements in years.I haven't tried anything brave like a Cappucino yet - and I'm no doctor but it's like being reborn. Thank you so much to the man who posted the topic about vitamin D. I hope this works for others. Thank you for your time.Bhop.

·
Registered
311 Posts
u might want to do a brand new post thing so it gets sent out to everyone..............now here's something everyone needs to know........there r many vitamins out there that actually heal mucus membranes............D is only one.......now as to keeping the D working for u, for awhile it may do it by itself, but there may come a time, where u need more of the co-factors for D......vitamin A is one, calcium, magnesium, zinc, manganese, copper & a few others.........for anyone of those vitamins or minerals to work optimally, ur body has to have the stores of the others..........if not some either gets stored or dumped.........vitamin D is a fat soluble vitamin, so it can b stored & that's fine, just remember u could very well end up with as much D as u need, but not being able to utilize it without the others in sufficient quantities..........so do some research so that this can keep working for u.........there's many books & internet info to help..........i'd get a consensus.........

·
Registered
206 Posts
Do you just take one tablet of vitamin d a day? This is very interesting that something so simple would help with your d.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I took two three times the first day - and just one with each meal since. I've also spent more time outdoors and eaten small portions of fish. Haven't had any problems since and I'm actually eating chocolate biscuits as I write. The best of luck to you.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
About a week after my IBS-D seemed to clear up I began having cramps which I believe to be Acid Reflux (might have switched from IBS-D to IBS-C!) - so I began taking Apple Cider Vinegar which was recommended. If you look it up it has many benefits which may help with IBS itself.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
This doesn't sound like a long term fix to me. Surely putting more acid into your body is going to cause a reaction at some stage and upset the natural pH balance that everybody has.Vitamin D and Calcium made my IBS worse instead of better but I'm glad this works for you and please keep us all updated.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts