Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Motofen. I've tried immodium, lomotil, elavil, bentyl, questran, nulev and many others. I've had about 25 years of IBS. Nothing has worked as well for me as Motofen. Even Wikipedia (on the internet) notes how well it works in controlling IBS. It notes that Motofen is better than either lomotil or immodium. If this can help anyone else like it has helped me, that will make me happy.

·
Registered
54 Posts
i used to take lomotil and it made me constipated and dizzy. how much lomotil did you take? i find myself constantly taking it everyday and i was taking it everyday for three years. im now trying other alternatives, including aloe vera juice and vitamin b12 and digestive enzymes.

·
Registered
214 Posts
quote:Originally posted by jaded_from_ibs:i used to take lomotil and it made me constipated and dizzy. how much lomotil did you take? i find myself constantly taking it everyday and i was taking it everyday for three years. im now trying other alternatives, including aloe vera juice and vitamin b12 and digestive enzymes.
I take 2 3xday an hour before meals. Helps with D but not much with pain and bloating.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Motofen has worked wonders in my case. I tried all the pills you mentioned along with others-librax-donnatol-levsin etc.My gastro doc suggested motofen about 3 years ago. I can actually go out and eat with friends without the anxieties and pressure associated with IBS.My doc said it is a safe pill and has helped many of his patients that have not had good results with other medicines. It might be worth a try for some of you.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dear Lynn,It's not too expensive, my insurance covers it so I get 200 tablets for $7.50. You can take up to 8 per day, as needed. I usually take 2 - 4. A life saver for me. I'm an old man now, and this darn IBS has followed me through college and dating and married life and children (who are now in college). Motofen has allowed me to lead a pretty normal life (once I found it). I was actually able to be with my kids as they grew up (a true blessing and something I doubted as I fought this disease that we all have). I'm still phobic in crowds, but I don't much like being around others, anyway. I finally figured that out and have accepted it. It's not so much an IBS thing. Lomotil, as others have warned, worked for awhile, then one day failed me and failed pretty much everytime thereafter. Immodium worked for awhile, but I had to increase the dosage over time. Motofen is perfect. And the tablet does not have a disgusting taste so it dissolves easily in my mouth (unlike the bitter taste of Codeine, from which I understand Motofen is derived). With Lomotil and Immodium, you can build up a tolerance - not so with Motofen. I know if you Google it you'll get info, but do try the Wikipedia site. Interestingly, it points out that Motofen is ONLY prescribed in the U.S. Just the opposite of most other things. The number of times I've ranted and raved to my wife about the fact the Codeine (one of the best IBS cures for me)is available much easier in Canada, then here. I really wish the government would just get out of our way. We are adults. Frankly, if I want to risk addiction to cure the curse of IBS - so be it. It's my choice. But that isn't necessary now that there's Motofen for me. I know different things work for different people, and I hope this helps you.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Wow,I've never heard of Motofen before. I've been hooked on Immodium Advanced for years and once in a while take Lomotil but find not much of a difference with them! I was particularly excited about the statement that you can't build a "Tolerance" to Motofen, is that really true? If it is then it sounds like a very promising med! keep me posted

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've heard that it is only available in the U.S., but I can't say for sure. Message to senior: since you are the only other person I know of that takes Motofen, what dosage works for you? I literally take it every day. The thing I like about it is that is doesn't seem to affect my thinking. Near the end of my stretch with Bentyl, my brain was really getting bent! And most other things dried out my mouth, but not Motofen.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Macaroni-I cut my tablets in half. Usually I take 3 halves a day-spread out throughout the day. I adjust the dosage according to my schedule-going out to eat with friends I'll start taking them late afternoon and continue until I'm leaving for the restaurant.I don't think I've ever taken more than 21/2 pills in one day.I don't experience any side effects and I can actually enjoy myself-I still check out the bathroon situation wherever I go.Hope this helps.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Macaroni:Ha! Exactly! Funny (?) how we will never shake the habit of always trying to know where the nearest bathroom is located.
You will get over that eventually. Although I still haven't gotten over the habit of looking to see what I have produced.Mark

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A comic (George Carlin?) once said that no matter how old we get, human nature and curiosity will always drive us to closely inspect whatever comes out of any of our orifices (ears, nose, belly button, and...)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Maybe it IS available there in the UK. I speak from alittle ignorance (and Wikipedia) when I say that it may not be available outside of the U.S. Be sure to ask your doctor. I can tell you it is a life saver for me.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I can assure you that Lomotil and Motofen are NOT the same product. I even looked them up in the PDR to check out the chemistry. Bottom line for me: Lomotil does not work at all; Motofen works completely.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.