Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, so this is the first topic I've posted, I'm just finding it really hard to cope with at the moment. This may be a little long so I apologise in advance!I'd started to be able to manage my IBS (diagnosed in January having been experiencing the symptoms since starting university in September) but now my symptoms are changing and it's making it increasingly difficult to cope. Originally it was mainly the sensation of needing to go to the toilet, along with stomach pains/nausea, loud stomach noises and occasional (mild) constipation. After cutting out dairy my symptoms settled down a little and it seemed to be typical IBS-C, not having a BM for 2/3 days at a time, with bloating and pain. For the last month or so I'd been feeling a lot happier about it, and my symptoms seemed to be improving, getting into a regular routine of going every other day.Unfortunately now my symptoms have got much worse, I've got everything going! Pain, bloating, a lot more D, nausea, loss of appetite, I'm scared of eating and of going to the toilet. It makes university complete hell, and I spend as much of my time as possible at home because it reduces the worry, but I really feel like I'm missing out and I'm angry with myself for letting it affect my life to such an extent. I have a bathroom to myself, but the 'unreliability' of my BMs mean I try to use other toilets around campus as much as possible, which is by no means convenient but I had to call out the plumber once this year and it caused me so much anxiety/embarrassment/stress that I don't want to ever have to do it again!There doesn't seem to be any real reason for my sudden flare up I've not changed my diet, I'm not stressed about exams (luckily my university allow me to sit them in a separate room) and I really don't know what I can do! I'm dreading sharing a bathroom with friends next year, and I just feel completely rubbish and hopeless.
Has anyone else suffered sudden, unexplained flare ups or change in symptoms? And if any students or ex-students have any advice on coping that would be great.Thanks, daisychain

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.