Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner

throat troubles

577 views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  eric 
#1 ·
I am new to this board. I have been seeing various doctors for the past 4 weeks because I have symptoms of IBS. I'm not positive that is definitely the case, as I am scheduled for a colonoscopy next week to rule out, or catch anything else. I have been extemeley anxious and depressed for the last 4 weeks because I can't figure out what is wrong with me for sure, and I spend all my time speculating what it might be. I'm really worried it is something more threatening to my health than IBS. So, I've been dealing with diarrhea, cramps, and gas for a month now. However, now I feel a new problem, and that is what is on my mind now. I feel like there is a big lump in my throat. It has been going on for days, but it is at its worse so far today. I can't feel any lump ouside of my throat, on my neck. But I feel the lump inside, and it's very troubling. I can swallow, but I just feel this lump, that seems to move with my neck when I move, and holding my head straight forward seems to make it worse (feels like it is shutting off my throat). The best position is to hold my head down. But that is not practical, and I'm wondering if anyone has had this also. Does anyone have any suggestions about what this might be? I was diagnosed with acid reflux years ago, but the throat lump wasn't present then. Could this be anxiety? Or possibly something worse, such as GERD? (I don't really know what GERD is, but I've heard a little about it). Any advice/knowledge of this would be appreciated. I feel like if I can stop the physical problems, I could stop my anxiety and depression. But then again, if I could stop my anxiety and depression, my physical problems would probably get better...it's a circle!Thanks,Nicohle

See less See more
#4 ·
Hi Nicohle,I suffer from something similar, it doesn't feel as if there is something physically in my throat but the best way to describe it would be that the effect is the same as if you swollowed something accidently like a boiled sweet and even though the sweet wasn't actually stuck in your throat it feels as if it is. If this is similar I to would be interested in an explanation

#5 ·
Hi Nicohle,I suffer from something similar, it doesn't feel as if there is something physically in my throat but the best way to describe it would be that the effect is the same as if you swollowed something accidently like a boiled sweet and even though the sweet wasn't actually stuck in your throat it feels as if it is. If this is similar I to would be interested in an explanation

#6 ·
I have the same sensation. Sometimes it's hard to swallow food down. I was diagnosed in Dec with a thyroid problem. I was extremely anxious; from too much thyroid hormone. This even exasborated my ibs. I also had a racing heart. But I would definitly get it checked.

#7 ·
I have the same sensation. Sometimes it's hard to swallow food down. I was diagnosed in Dec with a thyroid problem. I was extremely anxious; from too much thyroid hormone. This even exasborated my ibs. I also had a racing heart. But I would definitly get it checked.

#9 ·
That feeling is called a "glottus sensation" and it can be caused by a lot of things. The sensation can be caused by anxiety (most common), reflux, asthma, food allergy or thyroid. In my case it is caused by anxiety and reflux. It is a good idea to mention this problem to your Dr. but there is a good chance that you have nothing to be concerned about. Of course with anxiety, we all know that the more you allow yourself to worry about something the worse it gets
and pretty soon you have convinced yourself that you are dying of some really rare disease...heck, I have done that to myself a lot. I hope that you feel better!

#8 ·
That feeling is called a "glottus sensation" and it can be caused by a lot of things. The sensation can be caused by anxiety (most common), reflux, asthma, food allergy or thyroid. In my case it is caused by anxiety and reflux. It is a good idea to mention this problem to your Dr. but there is a good chance that you have nothing to be concerned about. Of course with anxiety, we all know that the more you allow yourself to worry about something the worse it gets
and pretty soon you have convinced yourself that you are dying of some really rare disease...heck, I have done that to myself a lot. I hope that you feel better!

#11 ·
I have been through all the blood tests imaginable I think in the past 4 weeks, trying to get to the bottom of all my symptoms. My thyroid test came back okay, as did all the blood work. I do have acid reflux, asthma, and lots of allergies (gee, it sounds like my whole body is falling apart!). I suppose if my thyroid is fine, the reflux, ashtma, and tons of anxiety probably play a big part in the throat lump.Yes, it does feel like I swallowed something and it is stuck in my throat. I actually found a ton of postings about this at snowcrest.net...people talk about all sorts of ailments there, but the throat lump post got numerous, numerous replies. It seems like it is very common...for whatever reason it is there.

#10 ·
I have been through all the blood tests imaginable I think in the past 4 weeks, trying to get to the bottom of all my symptoms. My thyroid test came back okay, as did all the blood work. I do have acid reflux, asthma, and lots of allergies (gee, it sounds like my whole body is falling apart!). I suppose if my thyroid is fine, the reflux, ashtma, and tons of anxiety probably play a big part in the throat lump.Yes, it does feel like I swallowed something and it is stuck in my throat. I actually found a ton of postings about this at snowcrest.net...people talk about all sorts of ailments there, but the throat lump post got numerous, numerous replies. It seems like it is very common...for whatever reason it is there.

#13 ·
I've had this. More I worried about it, the worse it got. I looked it up in some book and went through all the possible causes but ruled out all but one since I had no trouble swallowing. It was stress. As soon as I knew this, it went away. It certainly sounds like this could be your cause too. I know how I can get sicker because I am worried about why I am sick (the viscious cycle). Heopfully, your doctor will rule out other things for you.nancy

#12 ·
I've had this. More I worried about it, the worse it got. I looked it up in some book and went through all the possible causes but ruled out all but one since I had no trouble swallowing. It was stress. As soon as I knew this, it went away. It certainly sounds like this could be your cause too. I know how I can get sicker because I am worried about why I am sick (the viscious cycle). Heopfully, your doctor will rule out other things for you.nancy

#14 ·
I get that when the GERD acts up. I hate it because sometimes it actually hurts to try to "swallow past" the lumpy feeling. I drink water and swallow over and over trying to clear it but it just sits there. Usually have to wait for the GERD to settle down or do heavy-duty relaxation exercises.

#15 ·
I get that when the GERD acts up. I hate it because sometimes it actually hurts to try to "swallow past" the lumpy feeling. I drink water and swallow over and over trying to clear it but it just sits there. Usually have to wait for the GERD to settle down or do heavy-duty relaxation exercises.

#16 ·
It can be GERD, which is gastroesophageal reflux diseas, meaning you get acid reflux. I get this sensation occasionally, but seems more mild than yours...sometimes if I look in the mirror into my throat, there is a food particle stuck on one of my tonsils, usually the left one in my case. Once I cough a little, I just swallow it, it tastes nasty and leaves a bad taste in your mouth but will get rid of the bumpy feeling. Do you drink enough fluid? That can be it also. But get checked for GERD because they will give you great medicine that will help a lot and you will feel much better really fast. Hope you find an answer soon!

#17 ·
It can be GERD, which is gastroesophageal reflux diseas, meaning you get acid reflux. I get this sensation occasionally, but seems more mild than yours...sometimes if I look in the mirror into my throat, there is a food particle stuck on one of my tonsils, usually the left one in my case. Once I cough a little, I just swallow it, it tastes nasty and leaves a bad taste in your mouth but will get rid of the bumpy feeling. Do you drink enough fluid? That can be it also. But get checked for GERD because they will give you great medicine that will help a lot and you will feel much better really fast. Hope you find an answer soon!

#18 ·
#19 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.