Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My thyroid gland has been enlarged for years, but since my bloodwork has always come back normal, the doctors never called for any other tests. My new PCP felt that I needed to have an ultrasound and they found a nodule. Now, after about 8 years of being told that my enlarged thyroid gland was not a problem, I find I actually have a growth. The doctor is telling me that it is most likely benign and just means that I have a greater potential for getting thyroid disease. How do they know by looking at a fuzzy ultrasound? I'm thinking of requesting a needle biopsy to be sure that I don't have a malignant tumor. Otherwise, I will be constantly wondering about it. Have any of you ever had this done? I'm not at all good with needles! Any comments/info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
squirrelly: I too have an enlarged thyroid, has been so for 20+ years. All of my labwork comes back negetive too, always! (I'm overweight too.) I've never had a scan or anything, now I'm wondering if I should! Do you have any swollen glands in your neck or any other symptoms. I used to work of Otolaryngologists and most of the thyroid nodules we saw were always benign! Good luck, keep us updated. karen r

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have had a muti-nodular thyroid gland for years. My tests come back high and low for thyroid function which means I am on medication. No big deal...don't worry it will be ok. My thyroid is lagre if I don't take synthroid.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts