Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone get tingliness like sometimes in the legs and arms and fingers more than usual? i have noticed that since i have been feeling sick (about 7 months), parts of my body gets all tingly.....and also a while ago i had a sinus infection, and ever since then, i have tingliness in my head sometimes....does anyone else experience this? all answers would be great, tylersmommi

·
Registered
442 Posts
Hi tylersmommiwhat do you mean by "tingliness".I know a bit about tingling since i have it for about 8 years.I have been diagnosed with BFS (Benign Fasciculation Syndrome). This means i have muscle fasciculations (fast fiber muscle movement, a spot of muscle that moves) mainly in the calves and legs, then spread all around my body (that spot that move can beat like the heart day after day at the same place). Along with this there are tingling, pin and needle, shaky (mainly in my case on the left side, the left hand and leg), the feeling that after having done some exercices i have climbed the highest mountain in the world (leg hurts more than if they were just tired).After years, it decreased but it did not disappeared. I still have some fasciculation, tingling and pain in the legs.This could happens after a bout of flu or kind of flu. Some peoples got that because of a virus infection, the others from an unknown cause.There is no cure. It's called benign because nobody die from that but it's a LOT annoying.May be it's your case??? there is a forum somewhere on the web under "neuromuscular" about this condition (try finding the keywords "neuromuscular" and "fasciculation"). Note: If fasciculations tend to stay at the same spot even if spots changes from time to time there is a great chance it's BFS. An other sign is "if it's the first sign you notice".Good luck ----

·
Registered
442 Posts
Hi tylersmommiwhat do you mean by "tingliness".I know a bit about tingling since i have it for about 8 years.I have been diagnosed with BFS (Benign Fasciculation Syndrome). This means i have muscle fasciculations (fast fiber muscle movement, a spot of muscle that moves) mainly in the calves and legs, then spread all around my body (that spot that move can beat like the heart day after day at the same place). Along with this there are tingling, pin and needle, shaky (mainly in my case on the left side, the left hand and leg), the feeling that after having done some exercices i have climbed the highest mountain in the world (leg hurts more than if they were just tired).After years, it decreased but it did not disappeared. I still have some fasciculation, tingling and pain in the legs.This could happens after a bout of flu or kind of flu. Some peoples got that because of a virus infection, the others from an unknown cause.There is no cure. It's called benign because nobody die from that but it's a LOT annoying.May be it's your case??? there is a forum somewhere on the web under "neuromuscular" about this condition (try finding the keywords "neuromuscular" and "fasciculation"). Note: If fasciculations tend to stay at the same spot even if spots changes from time to time there is a great chance it's BFS. An other sign is "if it's the first sign you notice".Good luck ----

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks so much...what i mean by tingliness, is just out of the blue, my legs or fingers will just start tingling like pins and needles....just when i was reading your post, my one finger tingled for a second then stopped. and now, since its winter, whenever i get a chill, like when you get a chill for a second and you just quiver for a second, whenever this happens, my head get tingly too while i am quivering for a second. i hope i am explaining this good enough for you, its kinda hard to explain lol.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks so much...what i mean by tingliness, is just out of the blue, my legs or fingers will just start tingling like pins and needles....just when i was reading your post, my one finger tingled for a second then stopped. and now, since its winter, whenever i get a chill, like when you get a chill for a second and you just quiver for a second, whenever this happens, my head get tingly too while i am quivering for a second. i hope i am explaining this good enough for you, its kinda hard to explain lol.

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
The pins and needles in your arms and legs sounds like my tingling in my arms and legs. I am pretty positive that this is due to my B12 deficiency. However the tingling in my nose is more recent and is more like a fast muscle movement. Although if I look in the mirror nothing is apparent.I always thought that had to do with B12 too but maybe I was wrong and it is BFS. Hmmm.... got to explore that

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
The pins and needles in your arms and legs sounds like my tingling in my arms and legs. I am pretty positive that this is due to my B12 deficiency. However the tingling in my nose is more recent and is more like a fast muscle movement. Although if I look in the mirror nothing is apparent.I always thought that had to do with B12 too but maybe I was wrong and it is BFS. Hmmm.... got to explore that

·
Registered
442 Posts
Hi Bonniei
quote:is more like a fast muscle movement
In fact in BFS, there is no WHOLE muscle movement. It's a PART of the muscle that move (some fiber). It's called a "twitch". You feel it like someone is touching you with it's finger pressing the skin for example and releasing the pressure immediately. Muscle are exited using a brief fast electrical and chemical discharge from neuron. In order to move a muscle then those brief discharge follow each other very very rapidly so that it form a constant excitation and you can lift something with your arm for example. In BFS, there is single discharge then an other one say one second later. So that there is no constant excitation. So some fibers of a muscle may beat regularly and rapidly then it stop, then it goes to another area. If the discharge is not strong enough to move the fibers then you feel like an electrical current that give that sensation of pin and needle (or tingling, whatever it's named).An other point is that if a small muscle is involved like in finger then since it's a small muscle then the whole muscle will twitch and the finger will move, or the eyelid in an other example. So, with BFS not only you may have twitches but strange sensations like pin and needle, tingling, burning.Those twitch may also be present in the throat, tongue.Some may feel them in the gut it seems but nothing is sure in that case since it's smooth muscle in that case and it's inside!you can check in the forum outlined above under N then Neuromuscular.---- good luck

·
Registered
442 Posts
Hi Bonniei
quote:is more like a fast muscle movement
In fact in BFS, there is no WHOLE muscle movement. It's a PART of the muscle that move (some fiber). It's called a "twitch". You feel it like someone is touching you with it's finger pressing the skin for example and releasing the pressure immediately. Muscle are exited using a brief fast electrical and chemical discharge from neuron. In order to move a muscle then those brief discharge follow each other very very rapidly so that it form a constant excitation and you can lift something with your arm for example. In BFS, there is single discharge then an other one say one second later. So that there is no constant excitation. So some fibers of a muscle may beat regularly and rapidly then it stop, then it goes to another area. If the discharge is not strong enough to move the fibers then you feel like an electrical current that give that sensation of pin and needle (or tingling, whatever it's named).An other point is that if a small muscle is involved like in finger then since it's a small muscle then the whole muscle will twitch and the finger will move, or the eyelid in an other example. So, with BFS not only you may have twitches but strange sensations like pin and needle, tingling, burning.Those twitch may also be present in the throat, tongue.Some may feel them in the gut it seems but nothing is sure in that case since it's smooth muscle in that case and it's inside!you can check in the forum outlined above under N then Neuromuscular.---- good luck

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
Hi Bernard, Thanks for describing it in such great detail. The "muscle" movement is more like a twitch, and like you said it is probably a fiber moving. That fiber must be very small because like I said it cannot be seem in the mirror, however microscopically you examine it. It is also accompanied by pins and needles sensation. Well I went and got my vitamin B12 injection and I haven't felt it recently. Anyway I'll check out the internet for more info though I have learnt to be wary of internet info unless it is from some well known source. Tyler'smommi, I hope yours is only a B12 deficiency as it is easily fixed in the initial stages. The test is really simple. Only some blood is required.And the fix is B12 shots. Good luck

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
Hi Bernard, Thanks for describing it in such great detail. The "muscle" movement is more like a twitch, and like you said it is probably a fiber moving. That fiber must be very small because like I said it cannot be seem in the mirror, however microscopically you examine it. It is also accompanied by pins and needles sensation. Well I went and got my vitamin B12 injection and I haven't felt it recently. Anyway I'll check out the internet for more info though I have learnt to be wary of internet info unless it is from some well known source. Tyler'smommi, I hope yours is only a B12 deficiency as it is easily fixed in the initial stages. The test is really simple. Only some blood is required.And the fix is B12 shots. Good luck

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.