Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To Kathleen & Admins:Just a note of thanks for your work in the forums. I've had on and off IBS symptoms all my adult life (constipation, bloating, cramps, etc.). After a particularly nasty episode 5 years ago at age 43, I finally decided to get a colonoscopy. I was diagnosed with diverticulosis, and the doctor suggested that I increase the amount of fiber in my diet and in general try to watch what I eat. He then said, "see you when you're 50".The symptoms have come and gone over the years, but have gotten somewhat worse over the past year or two. (Coincidentally, or maybe not, our first child was born last year, which was one of the happiest moments in my life, but also increased the stress level a bit.) Although I've been good about eating fiber, most of it is insoluble, which I've heard can aggravate symptoms. And, while I am in good shape and eat a healthy diet for the most part, it's still not completely IBS friendly.Over the past few months, I've experienced a significant increase in symptoms; cramping (especially while sleeping for some reason), bloating, etc. I also noticed a change in my stool, which seemed thinner and more, here it comes, "pencil-like". So, off to Google I went, and immediately discerned that pencil-thin stool is, well, not very good. I'm not usually the type to panic about most health issues, but after doing this intiial search I was ready to move up my normal physical which is scheduled for next month and talk to my gastroenterologist pronto.Luckily, though, I stumbled upon this forum and the various threads that deal with this topic. While I know there are no guarantees in life, I feel that, after reading Kathleen's responses, the odds are probably better than I had thought previously that it's not something serious. I'll take my scheduled physical, and if it turns out there is any blood in the stool (which I don't see any overt signs of now), I'll probably think about another colonoscopy sooner rather than later. But, thanks to this forum, I can make a more informed (and less panicked) decision.Thanks again.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.