Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Angry, I was wondering if you get the UNC's free publication called "Digest"?It has a great deal on why they are looking at the biopsychosocial factors in diagnoses of IBS and explains a lot in depth and clearly of what we were talking about in an old thread on this. It is an excellent and publication. Just curious if you get it and if not you can for free from there website.------------------Moderator of the Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Anxiety and Hypnotherapy forum.I work with Mike building his websites. www.ibsaudioprogram and www.healthyaudio.com I also work with Mike in IBS clinical trials using Mikes tapes at an IBS research facility.My own website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com Please visit for accurate information on IBS.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Angry, you will be glad you get that publication. There is also another one you can get from the IFFGD called "Participate"Just fyi http://www.aboutibs.org/IBSpublications.html ------------------Moderator of the Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Anxiety and Hypnotherapy forum.I work with Mike building his websites. www.ibsaudioprogram and www.healthyaudio.com I also work with Mike in IBS clinical trials using Mikes tapes at an IBS research facility.My own website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com Please visit for accurate information on IBS.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Angry, you will be glad you get that publication. There is also another one you can get from the IFFGD called "Participate"Just fyi http://www.aboutibs.org/IBSpublications.html ------------------Moderator of the Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Anxiety and Hypnotherapy forum.I work with Mike building his websites. www.ibsaudioprogram and www.healthyaudio.com I also work with Mike in IBS clinical trials using Mikes tapes at an IBS research facility.My own website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com Please visit for accurate information on IBS.

·
Registered
345 Posts
The symposium reports were interesting.Here is a quote I don't agree with though.With regard to psychosocial factors, psychiatric disturbances are not associated with these disorders per se. In some individuals they affect illness perception and behavior and health care seeking tendency. - DrossmanIn other words "some individuals" go to the doctor too much with this illness. If it is so, it is more likely because they don't get any help rather than some deep psychological defect. Help them and they won't return as often.I for one resent the perception that we IBS patients are spending too much of the precious medical resources. Almost all articles dicussion IBS talk about the tremendous cost to society (in $$, work loss etc) of IBS. I think what is really being said: "As a physician, I see a lot of IBS patients. I can't help them. It wastes a lot of MY precious resources." Tough cookies physician. There are lots of illnesses in this category. IBS wastes a lot of my resources too--like my whole life and ability to make a living. Like we shouldn't bother? All this stuff about psychosocial factors may be interesting. However, till it is reduced to practice and AVAILABLE, it won't helpus one bit. I don't know if it is still the case. However, when I had private insurance, they would not approve bio-feedback. Given that mind set, it seems likely they would not approve hypnosis either. Until such institutional barriers are removed, these procedures provide little help.

·
Registered
345 Posts
The symposium reports were interesting.Here is a quote I don't agree with though.With regard to psychosocial factors, psychiatric disturbances are not associated with these disorders per se. In some individuals they affect illness perception and behavior and health care seeking tendency. - DrossmanIn other words "some individuals" go to the doctor too much with this illness. If it is so, it is more likely because they don't get any help rather than some deep psychological defect. Help them and they won't return as often.I for one resent the perception that we IBS patients are spending too much of the precious medical resources. Almost all articles dicussion IBS talk about the tremendous cost to society (in $$, work loss etc) of IBS. I think what is really being said: "As a physician, I see a lot of IBS patients. I can't help them. It wastes a lot of MY precious resources." Tough cookies physician. There are lots of illnesses in this category. IBS wastes a lot of my resources too--like my whole life and ability to make a living. Like we shouldn't bother? All this stuff about psychosocial factors may be interesting. However, till it is reduced to practice and AVAILABLE, it won't helpus one bit. I don't know if it is still the case. However, when I had private insurance, they would not approve bio-feedback. Given that mind set, it seems likely they would not approve hypnosis either. Until such institutional barriers are removed, these procedures provide little help.

G

·
angry, unfortunately it is up to us patients to make some changes in these things. You sound intelligent, articulate, and outspoken. Why not send an email backchannel to jeff or me about starting or joining an advocacy initiative.?tom

G

·
angry, unfortunately it is up to us patients to make some changes in these things. You sound intelligent, articulate, and outspoken. Why not send an email backchannel to jeff or me about starting or joining an advocacy initiative.?tom

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.