Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Bob, I have noticed in a few of your posts that you are taking a drug called Dannatal. I have done some reading on it and i would love to try it. Can you give my some personal info on it, like is it addictive? and also what dose you are on. I have IBS D with Anxiety and Panic disorder and i feel that this drug may be able to help with the Anxiety and well as my IBS.Thanks in advanceRachell

·
Registered
668 Posts
Hi Rachell,I'm not BobJ but I am on the Donnatol. My doctor told me that it has a barbituate in it and it can be addictive. I was told to only take one tablet in the morning and one in the evening and only when the D is bad. Not everyday. I have heard of people taking it everyday but my doctor told me not to. It does seem to help control the spasms which leads to less anxiety that the spasms cause.Joe

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rachell,While my Doc is not as conservative as Joe's and has not really sounded a big alarm for addiction problems, Joe is correct: the Donnatal does have a barbiturate and can be addictive.Here's my take on that though:* First, the concentration of phenobarb in the Donnatal (tabs, not "Extendtabs") is relatively small compared to something like a typical valium dose or some other anti-depressant. So unless your metabolism or body mass or make up doesn't tolerate any kind of anti-depressant well, there would seem to be (to me) little risk of addiction.* Being somewhat analytical in approach (is that the left side or right side brain thing?), I try to reduce everything to a risk/benefit evaluation. Considering the benefits of not living in fear of soiling my trousers on the way to and from work weighed against a small risk of addiction (and that only if I abuse the stuff and medicate myself without some sense of maturity and responsibility), the benefit far outweighs the risk to me.* As far as dose goes, the Donnatal tablets (again, I am speaking about the TABLETS, NOT the "Extendtab" form) come in only one "concentration" so there really isn't a thing like "20mg/day" etc. I just take two tabs in the morning and then again two tabs before making the commute home. The prescription directions read something like "Take two tablets every four hours as needed for cramping". When I first started on them a few months ago, I did do the two tabs every four hours routine, but soon learned that I really didn't need them for my time present in the office - and, I don't really have any episodes while I'm in the office. A few times already, I've made it with just two tabs in the morning. Actually, I left the office one day and forgot to take my pm dose and remembered when I was halfway home. And, pleasantly, nothing happened and I did not feel any urgency or gas. So, I've started to skip the pm dose when I feel OK before I leave the office - a few times now, and I'm intent on trying more.* The only real caution I would give on this is, and I'm sure you know this well, is that not all of us respond to the same thing in the same way and not all of has exactly the same set of symptoms. My Doc started me on Levsin, then went to Bentyl, and finally I recognized some relief when he tried the Donnatal (Levsin and Bentyl were only slightly effective). When my Doc realized that I was a stress trigger type, that's when he suggested the Donnatal.* As I've said in other posts, the Donnatal does have an anti-spasmodic component (Belladonna I think), so it is sort of a "dual" treatment. Calms the mind and the colon.* In the final analysis, your Doc would be the best judge, and I would certainly defer to his call on it rather than a testimonial from a fellow sufferer (assuming you've got a good, trustworthy, experienced, and knowledhgeable Doc). I do NOT have, or maybe I should say I have not been diagnosed with Anxiety and Panic disorder, so I don't know that a small dose of phenobarb in Donnatal would help you if the disorder is significant. I do have stress in my life, as we all do, and the Donnatal does take the edge off that.This is all I can think of right now, but if you have other specific questions, feel free to ask and I will respond.Let us know what you decide to do.Hang in...

·
Registered
668 Posts
Rachell,I didn't mean to sound like an alarmist. I agree with BobJ. I think you would really have to abuse the stuff to become addicted and like BobJ I have found that it helps. With me it helps with the spasms. Hence, less anxiety.BobJ,I don't take it everyday because it does help and I was afraid that if I took it everday that my body might become immune to it. I think this happened to me with immodium. It helped at first so I took it everyday. Gradually it stopped working at all. Went back and looked at the label on my donnatol and it says 1 tablet 3 times a day. I wonder why the different dosage for us. For me, getting addicted to donnatol is the least of my worries.Joe

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Joe,On the label thing, I can only speculate that our doctors are of a different mind since they are the ones that write the prescription dosage directions. I also took a closer look at my label (have it right here in the office with me) and it says: "Take 1 to 2 tablets by mouth four times a day as needed for abdominal pain and cramping". Interestingly, I never noticed before that it specified "by mouth". That sounds curious to me - what other way would I ingest a tablet????? (OK, I'll wait for the obvious anal joke here).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BobJPuts me in mind of Cheech & Chong!!! (for those of you who know).What about crushing the tablet on a mirror, chopping it finely with a razor blade then dragging it into a line across the mirror, then rolling the $50 bill into a tube, inserting it up your nose and snorting the now fine powder straight up in one inhalation...What a rush huh!Nu.On a more serious one, I am seeing Sydneys top gastro next week so I may ask him about Donnatal myself, as I'm rapidly realising I'm just one big Stress Trigger chappy...much as I've tried to deny it previously.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
now nu, that was really, really funny sometimes it pays just to stop by for the helluvit! sorry to have butted in on a subject i have absolutely no clue about. as you were chaps--smoke 'em if you have 'em or something like that!!btw...i'm still doing great on the msm also after three dogless years we finally got a dog and i feel calmer already...norma

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.