Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Eric I have a question for you !!! I have learned alot from all of your posting and like I told you it is REALLY helping me accepting this IBS for 40 years !!! Now the question for today is......Anxiety plays a huge part in my IBS..I have been told this by many many different people...At the times when these attacks are happening I dont think I am under anything stressful that day when they are going on...I am a Worrier , no doubt about it...but If I had something going on days or weeks prior to getting sick will that affect the stomach a week later ? I am just try to keep and open mind and learn all I canThanksDonna------------------"If you always do what you have always did, You'll always get what you always got "[This message has been edited by ohnometo (edited 10-17-2001).]

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks MikeThat can be correct..I am in the process of calling my insurance company to see if they cover the test for hidden food allergy's...I had the skin test last year for about 80 different things and it showed up I was fine but I have read that the skin pricking test isnt always correct..I do want to follow thru with the correct testing for food allergy just to know if it could possibly be that...If not it would just more good knowledge to know. I have already spoken with someone at Leap Allergy but need to contact them again to get the code for billing purposes.Donna------------------"If you always do what you have always did, You'll always get what you always got "[This message has been edited by ohnometo (edited 10-17-2001).]

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks MikeThat can be correct..I am in the process of calling my insurance company to see if they cover the test for hidden food allergy's...I had the skin test last year for about 80 different things and it showed up I was fine but I have read that the skin pricking test isnt always correct..I do want to follow thru with the correct testing for food allergy just to know if it could possibly be that...If not it would just more good knowledge to know. I have already spoken with someone at Leap Allergy but need to contact them again to get the code for billing purposes.Donna------------------"If you always do what you have always did, You'll always get what you always got "[This message has been edited by ohnometo (edited 10-17-2001).]

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Donna, first off I have no faith in Leap personally. Just my own opinion.Yes, what your asking can happen, however read what I posted on this thread. http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/024120.html It doesn't always have to do with overt anxiety or stress, normal living can be enough. Even when your not under the gun short term, it can act up.------------------Moderator of the Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Anxiety and Hypnotherapy forum.I work with Mike building his websites. www.ibsaudioprogram and www.healthyaudio.com I also work with Mike in IBS clinical trials using Mikes tapes at an IBS research facility.My own website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com Please visit for accurate information on IBS.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Donna, first off I have no faith in Leap personally. Just my own opinion.Yes, what your asking can happen, however read what I posted on this thread. http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/024120.html It doesn't always have to do with overt anxiety or stress, normal living can be enough. Even when your not under the gun short term, it can act up.------------------Moderator of the Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Anxiety and Hypnotherapy forum.I work with Mike building his websites. www.ibsaudioprogram and www.healthyaudio.com I also work with Mike in IBS clinical trials using Mikes tapes at an IBS research facility.My own website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com Please visit for accurate information on IBS.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I went there after I posted this morning and it was very interesting and alot of knowledge. I just get so confused sometimes with the stress part, food's that can play on the colon and just plain everyday things. Each day that goes by I can understand more about the role Serotonin plays with the mind & gut connection. Just for today it is a good day and a beautiful one outside at that....I printed that info off for me to read when I have doubts------------------"If you always do what you have always did, You'll always get what you always got "

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I went there after I posted this morning and it was very interesting and alot of knowledge. I just get so confused sometimes with the stress part, food's that can play on the colon and just plain everyday things. Each day that goes by I can understand more about the role Serotonin plays with the mind & gut connection. Just for today it is a good day and a beautiful one outside at that....I printed that info off for me to read when I have doubts------------------"If you always do what you have always did, You'll always get what you always got "

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
ohnometo, I understand and it takes a while to learn all this in depth.Here is one more thing for you that makes it a little shorter and somewhat easier to understand. http://www.aboutibs.org/Publications/clinicalIssues.html ------------------Moderator of the Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Anxiety and Hypnotherapy forum.I work with Mike building his websites. www.ibsaudioprogram and www.healthyaudio.com I also work with Mike in IBS clinical trials using Mikes tapes at an IBS research facility.My own website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com Please visit for accurate information on IBS.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
ohnometo, I understand and it takes a while to learn all this in depth.Here is one more thing for you that makes it a little shorter and somewhat easier to understand. http://www.aboutibs.org/Publications/clinicalIssues.html ------------------Moderator of the Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Anxiety and Hypnotherapy forum.I work with Mike building his websites. www.ibsaudioprogram and www.healthyaudio.com I also work with Mike in IBS clinical trials using Mikes tapes at an IBS research facility.My own website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com Please visit for accurate information on IBS.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
One thing to remember is there are multiple triggers for IBS, so even if anxiety triggers it big time, there may be other triggers that go off even when you are not anxious. That is part of what can be maddening about IBS.Some of types can be your own physiological signals that help make digestion work. The normal rhythms of colonic motility, hormones, the bodies response to meals of different fat contents or size. You stomach sends info down the pipe and if you over-respond to certain signals from either the stomach or the Central Nervous System that can effect the IBS. Foods are another source of triggers. Sometimes it is specific foods, sometimes it is general qualities of food (like fatty vs lean) or volume of food. Sometimes it is certain ingredients in food that you may not think of like a certain food coloring (we figured a friends of mine out who had occasional problems and when cheap Mac n Cheese set it off but Kraft didn't we noticed that Kraft uses a spice to make it yellow and the cheap brands use a food coloring....thinking back other things with yellow food coloring were also problem foods).Emotional state, anxiety, stress, etc can be a problem, and it may vary with how you handle stress. Some people are OK when the crisis is going on, but have all their stress reactions as soon as they have a chance to relax. So it isn't always what is happening right this minute, but may be how the last couple of weeks were. I tend to be a delayed reaction type. I'm fine when all heck is breaking loose, once it is over then I have problems.K.------------------ kmottus###aol.com�When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won. There have been tyrants and murderers and for a time they seem invincible but in the end, they always fall�Think of it, ALWAYS. �Mahatma GandhiMy story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
One thing to remember is there are multiple triggers for IBS, so even if anxiety triggers it big time, there may be other triggers that go off even when you are not anxious. That is part of what can be maddening about IBS.Some of types can be your own physiological signals that help make digestion work. The normal rhythms of colonic motility, hormones, the bodies response to meals of different fat contents or size. You stomach sends info down the pipe and if you over-respond to certain signals from either the stomach or the Central Nervous System that can effect the IBS. Foods are another source of triggers. Sometimes it is specific foods, sometimes it is general qualities of food (like fatty vs lean) or volume of food. Sometimes it is certain ingredients in food that you may not think of like a certain food coloring (we figured a friends of mine out who had occasional problems and when cheap Mac n Cheese set it off but Kraft didn't we noticed that Kraft uses a spice to make it yellow and the cheap brands use a food coloring....thinking back other things with yellow food coloring were also problem foods).Emotional state, anxiety, stress, etc can be a problem, and it may vary with how you handle stress. Some people are OK when the crisis is going on, but have all their stress reactions as soon as they have a chance to relax. So it isn't always what is happening right this minute, but may be how the last couple of weeks were. I tend to be a delayed reaction type. I'm fine when all heck is breaking loose, once it is over then I have problems.K.------------------ kmottus###aol.com�When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won. There have been tyrants and murderers and for a time they seem invincible but in the end, they always fall�Think of it, ALWAYS. �Mahatma GandhiMy story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I found that I can cope well stomach-wise during any stressful situation. However, after the stressful event is over (and I begin to relax), WHAM, I would get hit by IBS symptoms.AZ[This message has been edited by AZmom1 (edited 10-18-2001).]

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I found that I can cope well stomach-wise during any stressful situation. However, after the stressful event is over (and I begin to relax), WHAM, I would get hit by IBS symptoms.AZ[This message has been edited by AZmom1 (edited 10-18-2001).]

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
OHNO: _____________________________"I had the skin test last year for about 80 different things and it showed up I was fine but I have read that the skin pricking test isnt always correct" _____________________________This is because the reactions that occur in the small bowel and blood vessels in IBS cannot be detected with SPT testing. This is for IgE allergy. It is true it is inaccurate for that too, as it creates a lot of false positives _________________________________Donna, first off I have no faith in Leap personally. Just my own opinion __________________________________This kind of statement is common among people who have no knowledge of the mechansisms of food allergy, food sensitivities, and the structure and function of the guts immune system, nor have they ever actually utilized a modality clincally. The trouble with "opinion" is that it is just that. Also, when dealing with people whose lives are being ruined by a disease, it is unethical to dissuade people from investigating something which is so obvious. The fact remains that the goal of any disease managment program is SUPPOSED to be achieving th best outcomes. therefoe, in IBS, it is well estblished that the best outcomes are achieved when a three pronged approach, ata minimum, is used1. specific dietary therapy to that persons reactivity profile2. specific psychologic support and modalities to that persons psychosocial response profile and predisposition to follow a therapy form3. interventional pharmacotherapy.I maintain it is a disservice to the sick to promote a disease managment approach which consists of a single-mode of therapy, as is often the case both here and elsewhere. Or to suggest there is bt one way to skin the cat so to speak. This is simply not factual.Part of the problem may be that food sensitivity victims who have used the protocols developed by LEAPS immunologists, allergists, clinicians, and dieticians acheive success without a certain modality promoted by the author of that statement as a principal or sole modality. I don't know, it is only my opinion that this seems to be the case.Here is a suggestion....As the follwing people are patients, I cannot name names without a release, and they are loath to give it [think about it and you will understand why they keep secrets about themselves].But this Sunday turn on the TV and watch some NFL games. You will be watching numerous NFL athletes, whose livelihood depends upon their optimum health and optimum diet, and a lot of money is at stake. You will be watching a lot of people who used the blood test the LEAP protocols are built upon to isolate foods and additives from their diets which were producing certain symptoms which they did not wish to experience as they tended to get in the way during a game.Watch only some of the top teams (like don't look for them on the Deadskins, uh, Redskins
Oh, on Saturday too you can see some LEAP patients if you watch certain NCAA football games as well.The professional trainers and doctors who manage these athletes are not stupid nor easily fooled, and they know how to best protect their investment: keep that player performing at his maximum.So you have an alternate opionion to weigh against that which was posted.Oh, also, about 270 medical Insurance plans so far pay for this testing, especially for IBS. Their review committees are not stupid either, and their job is to reduce cost, maximize profit, not spew out money needlessly. So this is another 270 opionions you may wish to consider, from medial reviews of the actual cases and support material presented to them.Eat well. Think well. Be well.MNL_______________ www.leapallergy.com [This message has been edited by Mike NoLomotil (edited 10-18-2001).]

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
OHNO: _____________________________"I had the skin test last year for about 80 different things and it showed up I was fine but I have read that the skin pricking test isnt always correct" _____________________________This is because the reactions that occur in the small bowel and blood vessels in IBS cannot be detected with SPT testing. This is for IgE allergy. It is true it is inaccurate for that too, as it creates a lot of false positives _________________________________Donna, first off I have no faith in Leap personally. Just my own opinion __________________________________This kind of statement is common among people who have no knowledge of the mechansisms of food allergy, food sensitivities, and the structure and function of the guts immune system, nor have they ever actually utilized a modality clincally. The trouble with "opinion" is that it is just that. Also, when dealing with people whose lives are being ruined by a disease, it is unethical to dissuade people from investigating something which is so obvious. The fact remains that the goal of any disease managment program is SUPPOSED to be achieving th best outcomes. therefoe, in IBS, it is well estblished that the best outcomes are achieved when a three pronged approach, ata minimum, is used1. specific dietary therapy to that persons reactivity profile2. specific psychologic support and modalities to that persons psychosocial response profile and predisposition to follow a therapy form3. interventional pharmacotherapy.I maintain it is a disservice to the sick to promote a disease managment approach which consists of a single-mode of therapy, as is often the case both here and elsewhere. Or to suggest there is bt one way to skin the cat so to speak. This is simply not factual.Part of the problem may be that food sensitivity victims who have used the protocols developed by LEAPS immunologists, allergists, clinicians, and dieticians acheive success without a certain modality promoted by the author of that statement as a principal or sole modality. I don't know, it is only my opinion that this seems to be the case.Here is a suggestion....As the follwing people are patients, I cannot name names without a release, and they are loath to give it [think about it and you will understand why they keep secrets about themselves].But this Sunday turn on the TV and watch some NFL games. You will be watching numerous NFL athletes, whose livelihood depends upon their optimum health and optimum diet, and a lot of money is at stake. You will be watching a lot of people who used the blood test the LEAP protocols are built upon to isolate foods and additives from their diets which were producing certain symptoms which they did not wish to experience as they tended to get in the way during a game.Watch only some of the top teams (like don't look for them on the Deadskins, uh, Redskins
Oh, on Saturday too you can see some LEAP patients if you watch certain NCAA football games as well.The professional trainers and doctors who manage these athletes are not stupid nor easily fooled, and they know how to best protect their investment: keep that player performing at his maximum.So you have an alternate opionion to weigh against that which was posted.Oh, also, about 270 medical Insurance plans so far pay for this testing, especially for IBS. Their review committees are not stupid either, and their job is to reduce cost, maximize profit, not spew out money needlessly. So this is another 270 opionions you may wish to consider, from medial reviews of the actual cases and support material presented to them.Eat well. Think well. Be well.MNL_______________ www.leapallergy.com [This message has been edited by Mike NoLomotil (edited 10-18-2001).]

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks MikeHey ! watch out there about those "Deadskins"I live next door to DC....haha..I emailed someone at leap allergy------------------"If you always do what you have always did, You'll always get what you always got "

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks MikeHey ! watch out there about those "Deadskins"I live next door to DC....haha..I emailed someone at leap allergy------------------"If you always do what you have always did, You'll always get what you always got "

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.