Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner

To Heykate

438 views 7 replies 0 participants last post by  birdie 
G
#1 ·
Heykate: I'm new to the board but saw you were from Maine. I live in Maine too. I'm looking for a gastr Dr. I tried Portland but no luck- they all want primary physician referral. I was diagnosed with IBS 10 yrs ago in Pennsylvania and have also had a flipped colon, and colitis. But my primary dr wont refer me. (They dont understand the problem.)My insurance does NOT require a refereral! Do you know of any gastro doctors in the state or even Massachusetts or New Hamp? Any advice would help. Thanks Birdie

G
#2 ·
Hi, Birdie - do you mind telling me about where you live? I live on Mt. Desert Island - and I have been VERY happy with my doctors out here - small town, but they are quite good. Eastern Maine Medical Center is also an excellent hospital in Bangor - and I know several people who have had wonderful luck with them.I'm surprised your primary doc won't refer you, most of them will. I believe most gastro's and surgeons require a referral, but it doesn't hurt to call around to find out. Portland Hospital has also got a good rep - I don't know of any specific doctors, but I know people who have used the Portland Hospital and have been happy. If you live near Portland, some of the best hospitals in the country are in Boston - Brigham and Women's comes to mind. Basically, you have LOTS of options Biddy. I think it depends on where you live as to which you choose. If your primary care doc won't give you a referral - it's time to get a new one!Good luck.Kathy

G
#3 ·
HI, I have been researching facilities in the Boston area. Try the Lahey Clinic in Lancaster, up near the NH boarder. They do not require a referral, I e-mailed them and they got back in touch with me. Brigham and Womans is also a good place as is The Beth Israel Deaconess. I will be headed that way myself next Friday, seeking 2nd and 3rd opinions before surgery. ------------------Bridget

G
#4 ·
Bridget - for a moment there I was dyslexic and had this weird twilight zone feeling - birdie - biddie - sorry, girls.Bridget - are you flying all the way from Alaska for this or do you have family here or something? I've heard about the Boston hospitals being the best in the country - it's interesting to hear someone from the OTHER side of the country coming here to check them out. Wish I lived closer, I'd come and hold your hand - but Boston is a five hour trip from here. Best of luck, Bridget and let me know how it goes, OK? Have you also thought of the Mayo Clinic? I hear they are also top-notch.Waiting to hear, Kathy

G
#5 ·
I grew up in Boston and still have 10 siblings there plus my parents who are retired. I am going more for the support network than any thing else. I was originally referred to The Virginia Mason Clinic and then to The Mayo,but I don't have family in Minneapolis... If worse comes to worse though off to Minnesota I go. Hopefully it won't come to that. I have been researching like mad. Well off to the airport I go, Seattle bound to meet with my neurologist; I am so happy, my fiance's aunt is going to the appointment with me.PS, I went to college in Maine, UMF. My best friend from childhood lives in Kennebunk, I will most likely be visiting her.------------------BridgetI WAS CONFUSED TOO, I THOUGHT THIS WAS MY POST. OOPS THE STRESS IS GETTING TO ME. MY BROTHERS CALL ME BIRDIE. I ANSWER TO JUST ABOUT ANYTHING THOUGH. I AM PREOCCUPIED AND RUNNING LATE TOO.[This message has been edited by biddy (edited 04-08-99).]

G
#6 ·
This is Birdie not Biddy- Thanks to both of you Heykate & Biddy! I just switched to a different primary doctor- had to because our insurance switched to a PPO. This new doctor doesnt understand either and there are no others taking patients. I think they are all numb, numb as a hake as you would say in Maine. Mayo clinic isnt on my PPO list but thought of going. The Cleveland Clinic is and they dont require a referral either. I'm ready to give up on the Maine doctors all together. (I'm not originally from here)Thanks again, Birdie

G
#7 ·
Hey, Bridget - biddy - I know you are on your way to Maine right now - but I just wanted you to know I'll be thinking of you - good luck - hope it turns out really well for you - it's probably better to be around family right now, anyway. Now, PLEASE keep up informed, OK?Hey, Birdie - I hope this works out for you - check out the hospitals Bridget listed, OK - you might hit on one. Are you in an HMO? They can certainly be a pain, can't they? Good luck and let me know how it's going. If you are in the Portland area - you have a lot of options - don't stop til you've checked them all out, girl! Good luck.Hugs to you both, Kathy

G
#8 ·
Heykate- I'm half way up the coast. And no my insurance isn't HMO but almost. It's called Preffered Provider Organization, something between standard insurance and an HMO. I had never heard of it until my husband's company swithched to it this year.Yes, it's another pain besides IBS.I am going to check into the places suggested by both of you.Good luck to Biddy as well!Thanks again & sorry for the name confusion.Birdie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.