Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found alot of info on propulsid (cisapride) and I thought this might be what your want to know. So far I've only taken it one day and I had alot of headache and nausea but it's no worse than I usually get.You might want to ask your doctor about it, who knows it migh help you, here is the info.What do cisapride tablets do?CISAPRIDE (Propulsid�) helps to move gastric contents through the stomach, reducing exposure of the esophagus to gastric acid. Cisapride helps to control and relieve symptoms of gastroesophageal reflux disease such as heartburn. Generic cisapride tablets are not yet available.Nausea may be a side effect of antiparkinson medication, but it may also be due to delayed gastric emptying. Prolonged retention of food in the stomach can cause anorexia, nausea, vomiting, and possibly erratic absorption of levodopa- carbidopa (Sinemet), leading to variability in drug response. The major drug approved for promoting gastric emptying, metoclopramide (Reglan/Robins), is contraindicated in PD patients because it aggravates symptoms. A new "prokinetic" agent that has recently become available in the United States, cisapride (Propulsid/Janssen), safely accelerates gastric emptying. Approved for treating nocturnal heartburn in patients with gastroesophageal reflux disease, cisapride acts by restoring the normal physiologic antireflux mechanism.Cisapride also accelerates colonic transit, and studies involving PD patients in particular have shown that the drug is effective for slow-transit constipation. Slow-transit constipation is a common problem in PD patients (30% to 50% prevalence). The slower the transit is, the longer fecal material remains in the colon, the more fluid is extracted, the harder the stool becomes, and the greater the risk of impaction is. To improve the flow, attention must be paid to fiber and fluid intake. Patients should be counseled to increase their intake of fiber-rich foods (vegetables, whole grains) or to take fiber supplements (Metamucil) and increase fluid intake. Stool softeners may be useful but are no substitute for fiber. Laxatives, especially those that irritate and potentially damage bowel nerves and muscles, should be avoided. Lactulose and sorbitol may also be helpful, and suppositories and enemas may sometimes be necessary.

G

·
Thanks silver,Will copy and paste that so I can study it more later.
------------------ Don't make ME come down there!!. GOD

1 - 2 of 2 Posts