Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ken, what is this statement supposed to mean?: "Gosh, first us guys come down with post-coital depression and now women are coming down with post-partum depression ? Geez, kids. LOL" Believe me - PPD is no laughing matter. Jane

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
And, it wasn't PPD I was referring to, either - it was premenopausal mood swings. If you've never had them, you really have no idea how severe they are. Let me describe them so that you understand, Ken: one minute I'm throwing my answering machine through the wall, the next minute I'm in a catatonic state in a darkened room - too depressed to even cry. Thank God for Prozac and progesterone! Without them I'd sure have either killed somebody or myself by now! Pre-menopause can be a really scary thing - when your hormones doen't even know what the hell they are doing, your personality changes, and you know it's changing, but there's not a damn thing you can do about it - you're completely out of control. I remember hysterically crying after a round of golf that I played poorly! It's a horrible, horrible thing to be out of control, and not able to stop it.Now, I'm sure you were just making a joke, Ken, but I wanted to explain what I meant, just in case you didn't understand my point. And yes, I'm much better now, thank you!------------------"When I find myself fading, I close my eyes and realize my friends are my energy." (anonymous) Missycat

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First to respond to Missycat, that is why guys think women are psycho, lol. My personal belief about PMS is that a womans hormones are telling her to play the field like a mad child but society, cultural norms, ingrown attitudes and her significant other are saying don't you dare. What women go through who are post-menstrual, I don't know and I won't pretend to try to understand.As far as the other thing goes, post-partum depression, it's a funny sounding name for sure. It's funny that guys can feel depressed right after donating sperm, post coital depression, and it's interesting that women can feel depressed after giving up the net produce, kids.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Ken, dear...... you just don't get it. I'm not talking about garden-variety PMS. I'm talking about a major personality overhaul caused by hormones as they change with the onset of menopause. And I have to say that I feel you are minimising PMS also. You really can't understand what it feels like until and unless you're a woman who has experienced it. Period. PMS has NOTHING to do with "playing the field" and everything to do with anger, depression, and misery.------------------"When I find myself fading, I close my eyes and realize my friends are my energy." (anonymous) Missycat

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.