Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi girlsI'm wondering how many of you take oral contraception. I've been given different advice about it.1. Take the pill. It regulates your hormones, makes your periods shorter and ligheter, etc.2. Don't take the pill. It is adding hormones to your body and may make pms etc worse.Opinions?

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
I've been on the pill since I was 15 or so...my IBS only got bad in the past few years. I don't think it has affected my IBS one way or another.

·
Registered
27 Posts
hi kats...guess it's all on how your body responds. listen to your body. i've been on the pill for the first time in my life (i'm 41) for about 3 years now. went off for a couple months and went back on because i was miserable without it. i broke out like a teenager, and had heavy periods. along with helping those symptoms, it really helps with the bloating and cramps that have gotten worse since the IBS came up.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hi Kats.I had been on the pill since I was 16. I went on it to regulate my cycle, and to make the actual menstrauation shorten to 6 days. Before I went on the pill, my periods lasted 9 days, and the cramps for 2 days. Whilst being on the pill, my IBS was always the same, and now I have been off the pill for 16 months, and no change. I have learned to control what I eat, so now my IBS is not annoying me anymore, I'm controlling it. But since I have been off the pill, my periods still last for 6 days, but the cramps are back - but luckily they only last for a few hours.If you need to take the pill to help regulate your cycle, try it. If it makes your IBS symptoms worse, then you can stop taking it. Your body may or may not react to it. Try it and see.Good Luck
Ciao

G

·
Yes to those things in #1.I went off because of part of #2 [ie adding hormones to your body] and because I developed IBS so you question everything you put in your mouth when you get IBS.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I swear by the pill.I've had zero side effects from day one and before getting on it I had seriously bad cramps. I would be in so much pain that it would sometimes make me sick to my stomach.Anyway now my periods last only 3 days, are very light and I have only mild cramps. I also didn't gain any wieght or anything like that. I totally reccomend it.No effects on my libido and I used to have bigger mood swings before I got on it

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
I've been on many different pills over the past 7-ish years or so. I've not had a problem on any of them, and they have helped me with my pain from Endo. Each person's body reacts differently though, but I've had a great experience!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Interesting that you brought up this subject. I have been on the pill for many years. I have had IBS for about 15 years. For the last 3 years I have had CONSTANT D. In February, I switched my b-control pills to a new brand, I was taking Mircette. The very day I switched to the new pills-LoEstrin, the D stopped. I asked my doc when started them and she said three years ago. Coincided with the D. I never linked it cause I had IBS for so long, I just figured it was from that.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all your replies guys.I've got the doc to put me on a different pill to try and lower the downers and still keep the plusses - if that makes sense. By the way - have any of you ever found that you're getting your period really frequently? Like every two weeks? That's been my problem for the last couple months. Hopefully this new pill will even that out.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I swear by the pill as well - i can regualte my periods which is a godsend, i know when they are coming and now they only last 2 days so minimum fuss. My period pains are at a minimum and my pms is ok - the only thing i find is that i am over emotional - cry at the drop of a hat. I have been on the pill since i was about 15/16 and have only ever had a 6 month break last year and just couldnt handle the irregularity of it all plus having to worry about other forms of contraception.However saying all this i do worry about the amount of chemicals and hormones i am taking but nothing is pure in this world anymore so what the hey!!Listen to your doctor and how your body reacts and dont be afraid to change until you find one that is good for yougood luckCD

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
anymore, I've been having terrible cramping - such that my life is quite affected at "that time of the month." I cramp off and on for about 7 days - maybe 2 days of light cramping and 3-4 days of awful cramping (one time, the cramping lasted 8 hours, while I was trying to sleep). this is probably due to my adenomyosis, I feel. lots of bleeding too, which is not customary for me. other stuff too.so, I've been weighing the idea of BCPs myself, even at my age. it's a dilemma for me.there's the big scare about HRT currently. I know there are many different types and brands of BCPs out there. anybody know what type of progesterone (really, progestin) is contained in most BCPs? 'cause, if long-term use of some HRT is bad, why wouldn't long-term use of some BCPs be bad too? perplexed here.

·
Registered
136 Posts
The pill has been the main thing that helps with my IBS. I actually would take the pill continuously; I would skip the sugar pills and immediately take the first pill in the new pack, thus preventing my period. My dr recommended I do this, and it was a godsend. I have terrible fissures and hemmies that are seriously aggravated when I'm on my period, because I get bad C during my period.I am currently off the pill because I want to get pregnant this fall, so I wanted to give my cycles time to re-adjust and have a few periods. My IBS--which was pretty much in remission, thanks to the pill--is back, as bad (if not worse) than ever. As soon as I have a baby, I am going back on the pill, pronto.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I'm starting my 3rd month on the pill today. I've been on them in the past, for the main use of birth control. But now I'm on it for my ovarian cysts. Honestly I don't like taking them. I have "border" high blood pressure and that is a concern for me. I would love to get pregnant right now, but the cysts are making it so I can't. Right now the benifits of getting rid of these painful cysts outweigh any risks of the pill for now. I really haven't had any ill effects so far from being on them. Jennifer

·
Registered
18 Posts
Here are the pros I had while on the pill for 7 years. Helped my cramps, lighter and shorter periods and I knew exactly when my period would come. Plus it is very good birth control and I never worried about getting pregant.I had the following problems with the pills. Dry eyes so wearing contacts was difficult. Very low sex drive. More headaches during pms. I had three yeast infections which I had never experienced in my life until then. I am now off the pill and my periods are about the same as they were on it. I did not go back to the horrible ones I used to have. Also I started using progesterone cream and it really helps with cramps and pms headaches. I just rub alittle on my tummy every day. It is not a perscription.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.