Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, that malabsorption/transit time topic sure created a stir again, didn't it (seem to recall a similar such topic earlier)?anyway, just a note to you two that I may want to "talk" with you both later (and some a little now, though I don't want to start up another big controversial topic!). you have had malabsorption problems, right? well, I think I must too (I'm kind of upset, actually) -- or, if not, I have some other problem that's causing me to lose lots of weight (more than, at least I believe, can be attributed directly to IBS). the doctor has taken some note of that, I think (finally, after many months) -- but he's still a little slow to act. the docs keep giving me (of all things) thryoid tests, which all turn out normal. how/when were tests finally done on you to determine you had malabsorption? (I think C said it was when you were in the hospital because of Chron's, which we've already discussed a little.)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It really doesn't matter how much I eat, I just keep loosing weight. I used to weigh about 125 (I'm 5'7") and now I'm at about 110. I realize that's not very much, but I'm very thin as it is (Guess I must have heavy bones) so it shows. My weight has seemed to stablize at about 115, but I was ALWAYS feeling sick and dizzy, and when I got some blood tests... Whamo! Malnutrition. Especially in iron (which I should have been high in... I eat a LOT of foods high in iron). The only thing that was normal (or should I say abnormal) was my B12. The normal person has a level of between 400-600 (whatever that means). Mine was well over 1200!! I have NO clue how it came to be that high, but whatever. I also know that if you have a lot of folic acid, it can often fool the tests into thinking you're high in B12. Anyways, to get on with it, I then proceeded to have stool tests. Bingo. I've had SO many tests that I really can't tell you which ones showed signs of malnutrition, but I've taken suppliments and everything, and nothing seems to want to absorb. It's better now that my IBS has somewhat stabalized, but when my IBS was really bad (especially with the D), food would just not absorb. It would go RIGHT through me. I was even dehydrated at one point where the doc had to put me on an IV to help rehydrate my body.If you want to talk about it more, feel free to email me. I'm a bit afraid of what to write here because of Flux. Damn idiot knows NOTHING! We don't need to hear anymoreo f his garble.Spirit.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My malabsorbtion testing was done through stool samples. Each time, I had to collect a vile of it in which they did nothing but test for malabsorbtion. I have noticed that in all of the samples that I collected, there seemed to be abnormal amounts of mucous. From what my GI has said, that is a big clue to malabsorbtion, but isn't always the case.The collection part isn't much fun, but it is well worth it. If you need anything else, feel free to email me personally.Also, have you been checked for Crohn's or Colitis? Significant weight loss is a big side effect of either of those diseases!!Chris------------------Live life to its fullest!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
S and C --hi. thanks for responding. doc update as of yesterday: this time, the doc finally, finally talked with me a little more. he says no indication of malabsorption showed up in my blood work (I'm still a little suspicious, but...). he also says that, no, he thinks I don't have Chron's (because my earlier barium X rays of the small intestine showed nothing). he's now upset by my weight loss as well as by my bowel problems that just won't let up -- soo, more tests soon!however, he remains quite convinced that I do have IBS -- just a severe case of it. he finally also stated that I prob. have an anxiety disorder. I guess most/many of us get told that at one time or another! (and, I know there's some truth in great stress/fatigue that just won't end -- plus, possibly some abnormal hormonal/serotonim levels -- causing IBS, plus a whole host of other legitimate illnesses. it's just the way some doctors talk to you that is upsetting!)anyway, sorry, I talk a lot. thanks for sharing about the weight loss, Spirit. I'm in pretty much the same boat as you there -- very skinny, a little heavier than you but also a little taller, so we probably look about the same! if my weight problem's not malabsorption, I'm not quite sure what it is. (you'd think with all the "stuff" that keeps coming out of me that I would have some sort of malabsorption problem, but who knows...)sorry that I can't e-mail you personally, but I can't from this website. I don't think I have enough computer memory or something.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wouldn't rule out Crohn's just based on a barium study, unfortunately. When I had it done, my Crohn's didn't show up either. Mine was in the ileum. It wasn't until they did the colonscopy and decided to go into the entry of the small intestine that they discovered it. Whatever it is, I hope you get to feeling better. I hate to hear of people like you having to suffer so much. Keep in touch and let us know how you are doing.Chris

·
Registered
500 Posts
Janet, don't mean to butt in here but have you been checked for pernicious anemia? (B12 deficiency). A while back I was losing weight at an alarming rate, felt tired all the time and had cold sores on my lips like crazy, oh yeah, the diarrhea was horrible. Turns out I have pernicious anemia. I take a shot every 3 weeks of vitamin B12. The weight loss slowed down and I put on a ton of weight. Had to diet to get it off again. I guess I just got used to eating lots of everything and still loosing weight.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.