Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have seen some other topics regarding this on this forum, but I keep getting an error msg when I try to reply to these topics, so I'll just start a new one.I had to have FMLA paperwork put through at work because of my IBS (I'm new to the forum; background is I'm 28 years old, have had IBS since I was 15). I work at a non-profit's call center, so as you can imagine, getting stuck on the phone with a caller and not being able to run to the bathroom is a major source of anxiety & the main reason I call in at the slightest sign of a problem. However, I feel like my direct supervisor needs to know more about my condition (usually the HR Dept knows the chronic condition but it's my understanding no one else does) so she can know why it's so often. I also feel like folks don't take IBS seriously...like they feel it's something individuals self-diagnose when they had bad diarrhea just one or two days. Little do they know it's a very real, chronic condition that invades your life.So, talk to the supervisor? And how to make people understand this is a serious condition?Cheers.-A.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, another reason I'm considering telling my supervisor is because the chance to work from home has come up, and I feel like they need to know how vital the ability to stay home would be to my attendance and performance.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Just click on "Reply" over in the lower right hand corner of someone's post or beneath that a bit to the left.. "Fast Reply" to reply to posts. I am going to move this to our Work & Career Forum>

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the same problem with all my previous jobs. I did tell my boss, and explained how difficult it was for me in certain situations. She was actually very understanding about it. I think in your situation you should sit down and talk with your boss and really explain it. I know it can be embarassing but once its out there you'll feel way better. Now as for co-workers, they seem to never understand. I had several people talking about me saying I was making it up so that I could go home. I don't think people who don't have this problem will ever understand till you push the information in front of there faces on paper. I hope things work out for you!

·
Registered
116 Posts
I once worked in a student loan call center and spoke to around 100 people a day. I was stuck on the phone and I worried obsessively about what I would do if my IBS flared up! This created MORE anxiety, naturally, which in turn made my IBS worse.I did tell my boss, but I think I would do it differently today.I would try to get my gastro doc to give me handouts explaining IBS, and I might find some internet information related to IBS, and I would approach my boss with this information. At least in this way s/he can read it and understand that it is an actual medical condition (and I wasn't making it up!), plus get an understanding of IBS's debilitating nature. I may even provide a letter from my gastro.As far as working at home, that sounds like a godsend! I've often thought working at home would be the best option for me.I realize that IBS is not a topic that we feel comfortable discussing with others, especially with coworkers and bosses. However, since 15% or so of the population suffers from IBS, perhaps our bosses are familiar with the malady (or maybe they have it themselves).

·
Registered
34 Posts
I did talked about it to many people already. But it seems hard to understand for normal people. Sometimes you have to tell it over and over again and some people just don't care. Its frustrating people thought that I'm weird.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts