Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.When you have milk or another lactose product, how long after eating it to you get symptoms? Also, how long do your symptoms last? Do they increase in severity with an increased amount of milk? I'd appreciate any help - thanks.

· Registered
1,070 Posts
I'm usually pretty good about avoiding a gut reaction to milk, so I'm kinda fuzzy on how long it took to react.For me, quantity can make the difference between some discomfort, and maybe some looser stools the next day, and an all-out reaction to get rid of the offender. There may be some things about ice cream in addition to the milk that make me react so badly to it, but when I have thrown caution to the wind and eaten it, I usually start going to the bathroom, and if it wasn't D to start it soon is, and eventually my entire gut seems to be evacuated. I think it's often still flared up the next day.

· Registered
1,070 Posts
I'm usually pretty good about avoiding a gut reaction to milk, so I'm kinda fuzzy on how long it took to react.For me, quantity can make the difference between some discomfort, and maybe some looser stools the next day, and an all-out reaction to get rid of the offender. There may be some things about ice cream in addition to the milk that make me react so badly to it, but when I have thrown caution to the wind and eaten it, I usually start going to the bathroom, and if it wasn't D to start it soon is, and eventually my entire gut seems to be evacuated. I think it's often still flared up the next day.

· Registered
1,478 Posts
For me, it depends largely on amount. I can tolerate small amounts with little problem. Big amounts will hit me hard. Timing? Hmm I'd say within a couple of hours. And then it's gassy, crampy, blotay. If it comes to D, then it might hit a little later than the first onset. I have the same issue with ice cream. I can eat the light stuff if I take lactase but have problems with the high octane stuff so only then will have a very little bit. I think it's the combination of the lactose and the high butter fat content. I do find that lactase works fine most of the time. Hope it does today since I'm drinking a big glass of milk as I type this (in need of some quick protein).nancy

· Registered
1,478 Posts
For me, it depends largely on amount. I can tolerate small amounts with little problem. Big amounts will hit me hard. Timing? Hmm I'd say within a couple of hours. And then it's gassy, crampy, blotay. If it comes to D, then it might hit a little later than the first onset. I have the same issue with ice cream. I can eat the light stuff if I take lactase but have problems with the high octane stuff so only then will have a very little bit. I think it's the combination of the lactose and the high butter fat content. I do find that lactase works fine most of the time. Hope it does today since I'm drinking a big glass of milk as I type this (in need of some quick protein).nancy

· Registered
1,174 Posts
A Dr. told me that it may not actually be the lactose in milk products, but rather the milk protein that a lot of people cannot tolerate. Lactaid does not help me at all, but I must avoid milk products. I have discovered the wonderful world of Rice Dream milk and ice cream.
Try going for a while without dairy and see what happens. AZ

· Registered
1,174 Posts
A Dr. told me that it may not actually be the lactose in milk products, but rather the milk protein that a lot of people cannot tolerate. Lactaid does not help me at all, but I must avoid milk products. I have discovered the wonderful world of Rice Dream milk and ice cream.
Try going for a while without dairy and see what happens. AZ

· Registered
824 Posts
Lactose in milk causes a delayed reaction in my gut, if consumed in quantity. Casein and whey (two major proteins in milk) however, cause almost instant upper respiratory symptoms... sniffles, stuffy nose, puffy black eyes, wheezing.

· Registered
824 Posts
Lactose in milk causes a delayed reaction in my gut, if consumed in quantity. Casein and whey (two major proteins in milk) however, cause almost instant upper respiratory symptoms... sniffles, stuffy nose, puffy black eyes, wheezing.

· Registered
10,337 Posts
How would a person if they are lactose intolerant to begin with?

· Registered
10,337 Posts
How would a person if they are lactose intolerant to begin with?

· Registered
247 Posts
Deirpg: I can also tolerate small quantities of dairy but give me one smell of yellow cheese especially melted or a creamy chocolate and I run immediately - it is personal as all lactose intolerants react diff depending on what effects you more and the degree to which you are intolerant - my GI doc told me that some of his patients candrink milk but not eat cheese while others can have cheese and a glass of milk gives them probelms so test for yourself.Flux - you can have a breath test done they feed you drink lactose and then they test your breath wait a half hour and do it again and check - results are immediate.

· Registered
247 Posts
Deirpg: I can also tolerate small quantities of dairy but give me one smell of yellow cheese especially melted or a creamy chocolate and I run immediately - it is personal as all lactose intolerants react diff depending on what effects you more and the degree to which you are intolerant - my GI doc told me that some of his patients candrink milk but not eat cheese while others can have cheese and a glass of milk gives them probelms so test for yourself.Flux - you can have a breath test done they feed you drink lactose and then they test your breath wait a half hour and do it again and check - results are immediate.

· Registered
10,337 Posts
quote:but give me one smell of yellow cheese especially melted or a creamy chocolate and I run immediately
This is NOT lactose intolerance.
quote:Flux - you can have a breath test done they feed you drink lactose
No, this test is for lactose malabsorption, not intolerance. Just because a person doesn't malabsorb lactose doesn't mean they will be intolerant..that is to say, studies find for that in adults on a Western diet, it requires a fair dose of dairy (more than a cup of milk by itself) to induce symptoms.

· Registered
10,337 Posts
quote:but give me one smell of yellow cheese especially melted or a creamy chocolate and I run immediately
This is NOT lactose intolerance.
quote:Flux - you can have a breath test done they feed you drink lactose
No, this test is for lactose malabsorption, not intolerance. Just because a person doesn't malabsorb lactose doesn't mean they will be intolerant..that is to say, studies find for that in adults on a Western diet, it requires a fair dose of dairy (more than a cup of milk by itself) to induce symptoms.

· Registered
344 Posts
Aside from upper resp. symptoms, true allergy to anything....I was lactose intolerant for about 7 yrs. Couldn't eat anything without blowing up with gas and pain. I have been on ginger root for about 3 months and devour ice cream and milk now with practically no gas whatsoever. Before the ginger root I was drinking soy milk which helped immensly. I have gained 10 lbs. since I started taking ginger root. I can eat junk food and corned beef hash, fried and out of the can with very little gas! :love:

· Registered
344 Posts
Aside from upper resp. symptoms, true allergy to anything....I was lactose intolerant for about 7 yrs. Couldn't eat anything without blowing up with gas and pain. I have been on ginger root for about 3 months and devour ice cream and milk now with practically no gas whatsoever. Before the ginger root I was drinking soy milk which helped immensly. I have gained 10 lbs. since I started taking ginger root. I can eat junk food and corned beef hash, fried and out of the can with very little gas! :love:

· Registered
459 Posts
I'll be running to the toilet within about an hour or so of eating the food with dairy produce in it.This has happened recently with a restaurant dish containing yoghurt & some dark chocolate that had traces of milk in. The effects can last several painful hours and the next day I'll be slightly ill.However, some of my meds contain lactose & this doesn't seem to cause major problems.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.