Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reading through bulletins, found I suffer from a large combination of posted symptoms. Have self diagnosed with possible IBS. Both and Intensivist and GI guy have basically said they could find nothing wrong....first guy, as I was writhing in pain, said it was in my head, all tests were negative. GI wasn't so blunt. Have others been told this? Three ultra sounds ruled out gall bladder, blood rules out any illness. Symptoms: D & C, sometimes same day, severe bloating to lower intestines and stomach, severe waves of nausea, burping, flatulence, hunger followed often by many of above 15-20 after eating, sometimes horid taste in my mouth, burning to esophagus. Am missing days at work when pain has kept me up all night. An "attack" can last up to 8 hours or as little as an hour.Was definately correlation with monthly, menopause now removes any correlation. So... I'm I going crazy, simply all in my head, or is IBS possible and I need yet another doctor? Any help, advice, opinions greatly appreciated by a desparate woman!

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
You obviously need a real doctor. Why don't you post a direct inquiry for Undertanding IBS Doc in San Diego. You may meet someone here who has one. (It sure sounds like a lot of the symptoms we find here.)Mark

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
You obviously need a real doctor. Why don't you post a direct inquiry for Undertanding IBS Doc in San Diego. You may meet someone here who has one. (It sure sounds like a lot of the symptoms we find here.)Mark

·
Registered
4,570 Posts
Hi Victoria - IBS could be a possibility, but usually does not interfere at night - I had similar symptoms to yours, but not at night, that may indicate something else going on.I too had both gyne and gallbladder problems "blamed" on just IBS - turned out I had gallstones for the one pain, and ovaries had cysts and had tied themselves together for the other and attached to the colon - but - I had IBS in addition to this - so the docs just relagated it to IBS after tests were inconclusive - so I went to different doc who got it sorted.However, my IBS did result in severe D lasting hours and hours as well, so it could be a combination. Good luck in getting it checked out.

·
Registered
4,570 Posts
Hi Victoria - IBS could be a possibility, but usually does not interfere at night - I had similar symptoms to yours, but not at night, that may indicate something else going on.I too had both gyne and gallbladder problems "blamed" on just IBS - turned out I had gallstones for the one pain, and ovaries had cysts and had tied themselves together for the other and attached to the colon - but - I had IBS in addition to this - so the docs just relagated it to IBS after tests were inconclusive - so I went to different doc who got it sorted.However, my IBS did result in severe D lasting hours and hours as well, so it could be a combination. Good luck in getting it checked out.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Cookies, What procedure did you have done to see about your ovaries being attached to the colon? I've had a CT scan and ultrasound which shows cysts on both ovaries, but nothing about attaching, would either of these 2 procedures have shown if that was the case? TIA

·
Registered
138 Posts
Cookies, What procedure did you have done to see about your ovaries being attached to the colon? I've had a CT scan and ultrasound which shows cysts on both ovaries, but nothing about attaching, would either of these 2 procedures have shown if that was the case? TIA

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
You don't happen to have Kaiser insurance by any chance do you?Contact this doctor for a referral for a good gi doctor in your area you can see, who will help you more.By: George F. Longstreth, M.D., Chief of Gastroenterology, Kaiser Permanente Medical Care Plan, San Diego, CA http://www.aboutibs.org/Publications/diagnosis.html also next time you go to a doctor and you still should, because you need more help on all this, take these with you.Ten Questions to ask your doctor. http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art...rticlekey=13683

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
You don't happen to have Kaiser insurance by any chance do you?Contact this doctor for a referral for a good gi doctor in your area you can see, who will help you more.By: George F. Longstreth, M.D., Chief of Gastroenterology, Kaiser Permanente Medical Care Plan, San Diego, CA http://www.aboutibs.org/Publications/diagnosis.html also next time you go to a doctor and you still should, because you need more help on all this, take these with you.Ten Questions to ask your doctor. http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art...rticlekey=13683

G

·
I'm self diagnosed too. Where are you from? The States, in which case, lucky you. Here in good old Blighty (UK) its a case of "if it isn't cancer, grin and bear it!!". If I were you, go and see if you can find a really good food intolerance expert. The lady I see is the only bod who talks sence about IBS. Basically, if I manage my diet sensibly (and I don't always cos who the hell wants to live on rice, fish and bloody veggies!!!), IBS can take a back seat. Have you got a good health food shop nearby. I now take probiotics which help with the old gut problems. I'm not saying ignore all medical advice, but I'd also be looking at other types of help. Seems to work for me.Good luck and all the best from rainy Manchester.Sue

G

·
I'm self diagnosed too. Where are you from? The States, in which case, lucky you. Here in good old Blighty (UK) its a case of "if it isn't cancer, grin and bear it!!". If I were you, go and see if you can find a really good food intolerance expert. The lady I see is the only bod who talks sence about IBS. Basically, if I manage my diet sensibly (and I don't always cos who the hell wants to live on rice, fish and bloody veggies!!!), IBS can take a back seat. Have you got a good health food shop nearby. I now take probiotics which help with the old gut problems. I'm not saying ignore all medical advice, but I'd also be looking at other types of help. Seems to work for me.Good luck and all the best from rainy Manchester.Sue

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
It is the old school doc who used to say that IBS was "all in the mind". In modern times they have discovered the Brain-Gut connection . So in that sense there is the mind connection. But it is "all in the mind" conjures up images of the patient imagining it all. IBS is not a figment of the imagination. However the brain does affect the gut and vice-versa. Which is why hypnotherapy and medicines like Lotronex and Zelnorm work. So you are not crazy and shame on the doc if he implied that.

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
It is the old school doc who used to say that IBS was "all in the mind". In modern times they have discovered the Brain-Gut connection . So in that sense there is the mind connection. But it is "all in the mind" conjures up images of the patient imagining it all. IBS is not a figment of the imagination. However the brain does affect the gut and vice-versa. Which is why hypnotherapy and medicines like Lotronex and Zelnorm work. So you are not crazy and shame on the doc if he implied that.

·
Registered
4,570 Posts
TIA (jll)- actually, no - the CT scans, ultrasounds, and MRI did NOT show that the ovaries were tied together - I kept complaining of pain, and showed them where, and so the new doc ordered the scans, and the CT scan showed a "mass" where one shouldn't have been. So - sad to say- the only way they could tell for sure, was exploratory surgery, which started out as an exploratory laproscopy, and the surgeon asked if it was anything abnormal, should he remove, I said yes, and when I woke up they had done full blown surgery - 8 inch incision, and removed the ovaries which had large cysts and the ovaries had not only moved up and attached themselves to each other, but also to the bladder and intestines. I have had painful adhesions ever since (which I control with a chronic pain hypnotherapy program) - so, in my case, all the "external" scans did not detect exactly what it was. In fact, the surgeon had to call in another doc during surgery, because he thought at first it was a cancerous growth, due to the odd position. I did have pre-cancerous cells, but all was contained and removed. (Years prior to that, I had my uterus removed, which was enlarged, and that surgeon's repair with the ligaments, etc. most likely resulted in the ovaries moving as they did.) Eight weeks befor this surgery, I had my gallbladder removed via lap, which was a very easy surgery, but produced a different kind of pain - so I had two types of pain going, and was not wrong in my description or awareness of what my body was indicating. So just goes to show you, you know your body best!Victoria - as Bonniei mentions, for my own case, I tried all the Rx, was asked to be in the clinical trials for Lotronex, but declined, and for my hours on end D, I did successfully use hypnotherapy - the IBS Audio Program 100 - Sue - The author of the IBS Audio Program, Mike Mahoney is at the Guardian Medical Centre in Warrington, about 25 minutes from you - he has helped thousands of IBS patients when diets and meds have not helped. Though you say you are managing with your diet, and have not been diagnosed by the doc, so if you are doing OK then no worries, but if you do find the diet not helping, and receive an actual diagnosis of IBS, and if you want more info, let me know. Mike's program has helped many to not need a "diet" and many patients now eat once forbidden or trigger foods.Hope this info helped a bit - link below for more info or feel free to just ask! Take care.~ MarilynModerator of the CBT and Hypnotherapy Forum ~ Helping Mike to help others ~www.ibsaudioprogram100.com - ibscds.com

·
Registered
4,570 Posts
TIA (jll)- actually, no - the CT scans, ultrasounds, and MRI did NOT show that the ovaries were tied together - I kept complaining of pain, and showed them where, and so the new doc ordered the scans, and the CT scan showed a "mass" where one shouldn't have been. So - sad to say- the only way they could tell for sure, was exploratory surgery, which started out as an exploratory laproscopy, and the surgeon asked if it was anything abnormal, should he remove, I said yes, and when I woke up they had done full blown surgery - 8 inch incision, and removed the ovaries which had large cysts and the ovaries had not only moved up and attached themselves to each other, but also to the bladder and intestines. I have had painful adhesions ever since (which I control with a chronic pain hypnotherapy program) - so, in my case, all the "external" scans did not detect exactly what it was. In fact, the surgeon had to call in another doc during surgery, because he thought at first it was a cancerous growth, due to the odd position. I did have pre-cancerous cells, but all was contained and removed. (Years prior to that, I had my uterus removed, which was enlarged, and that surgeon's repair with the ligaments, etc. most likely resulted in the ovaries moving as they did.) Eight weeks befor this surgery, I had my gallbladder removed via lap, which was a very easy surgery, but produced a different kind of pain - so I had two types of pain going, and was not wrong in my description or awareness of what my body was indicating. So just goes to show you, you know your body best!Victoria - as Bonniei mentions, for my own case, I tried all the Rx, was asked to be in the clinical trials for Lotronex, but declined, and for my hours on end D, I did successfully use hypnotherapy - the IBS Audio Program 100 - Sue - The author of the IBS Audio Program, Mike Mahoney is at the Guardian Medical Centre in Warrington, about 25 minutes from you - he has helped thousands of IBS patients when diets and meds have not helped. Though you say you are managing with your diet, and have not been diagnosed by the doc, so if you are doing OK then no worries, but if you do find the diet not helping, and receive an actual diagnosis of IBS, and if you want more info, let me know. Mike's program has helped many to not need a "diet" and many patients now eat once forbidden or trigger foods.Hope this info helped a bit - link below for more info or feel free to just ask! Take care.~ MarilynModerator of the CBT and Hypnotherapy Forum ~ Helping Mike to help others ~www.ibsaudioprogram100.com - ibscds.com

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Bonniei is right here.You should also not self diagnose IBS, its very important NOT to do that.If you live in the UK anywhere near this doc see him"Doctor Peter Whorewell, consultant physician and senior lecturer in medicine at the Whittington Hospital in Manchester "Dr. Peter WhorwellProfessor of Gastroenterology1st Floor, ERC, Wythenshawe Hospital, Southmoor Road, Manchester, M23 9LTTel : 0161 291 5813EMail : peter.whorwell###manchester.ac.uk http://www.hop.man.ac.uk/Academic/research.../pwhorwell.html You can also contact the IBS Network in the UK for physician referrals.or support groups. http://www.ibsnetwork.org.uk/

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Bonniei is right here.You should also not self diagnose IBS, its very important NOT to do that.If you live in the UK anywhere near this doc see him"Doctor Peter Whorewell, consultant physician and senior lecturer in medicine at the Whittington Hospital in Manchester "Dr. Peter WhorwellProfessor of Gastroenterology1st Floor, ERC, Wythenshawe Hospital, Southmoor Road, Manchester, M23 9LTTel : 0161 291 5813EMail : peter.whorwell###manchester.ac.uk http://www.hop.man.ac.uk/Academic/research.../pwhorwell.html You can also contact the IBS Network in the UK for physician referrals.or support groups. http://www.ibsnetwork.org.uk/

·
Registered
3 Posts
it sounds like you have run across some people who dont truly care about you and your struggles which ail you. i try to pay attention to what my body tells me, tho i still veer off in my own direction sometimes. dont give up; keep looking for a health practitioner who cares not only about the money they are making, but the patient as well. I have found it pays to be informed as you can by finding out all you can about what you think is going on in your body.

·
Registered
3 Posts
it sounds like you have run across some people who dont truly care about you and your struggles which ail you. i try to pay attention to what my body tells me, tho i still veer off in my own direction sometimes. dont give up; keep looking for a health practitioner who cares not only about the money they are making, but the patient as well. I have found it pays to be informed as you can by finding out all you can about what you think is going on in your body.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.