Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
tom, I notice in your posts that you are trying to figure out the gender differences which might be affecting IBS. I am curious about one thing and you can ignore this post if you want to but I'll shoot-I know you are a psychologist. Isn't it true that women are more prone to anxiety? Further there is ample evidence on the board to indicate there is a close link between stress and IBS. So aren't just these facts sufficient to account for the fact that men are less prone to IBS than women?

·
Banned
5,767 Posts
it's all pretty complicated I'm afraid and 'they' don't really know as much as newspapers say. mn are more commonly disgnosed with ibs but this may only apply in the US as men see doctors more here.Everybody gets anxious and is under stress. it's what you do about it that might be gender-specific. in my experience and i think there is data on this, women seek help, such as pillsor therapists. men tend to try to ignore it (whichmight have long term effects such as hypertension (although I think there are new data on this) or ibs (unfortunately there are no good data on thi) or they do something else to deal with it.these are all broad generalizations.tom

·
Banned
5,767 Posts
it's all pretty complicated I'm afraid and 'they' don't really know as much as newspapers say. mn are more commonly disgnosed with ibs but this may only apply in the US as men see doctors more here.Everybody gets anxious and is under stress. it's what you do about it that might be gender-specific. in my experience and i think there is data on this, women seek help, such as pillsor therapists. men tend to try to ignore it (whichmight have long term effects such as hypertension (although I think there are new data on this) or ibs (unfortunately there are no good data on thi) or they do something else to deal with it.these are all broad generalizations.tom

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you mean to say perhaps that women(as opposed to men) are more more prone to see doctors and get commonly diagnosed only in the US? After all don't women get diagnosed more often with IBS than men? mn are more commonly disgnose with IBS than whom ?So this is documented in the field of psychology that everyone is under stress, but women seek pills or therapy while men might develop hypertension or something else?

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you mean to say perhaps that women(as opposed to men) are more more prone to see doctors and get commonly diagnosed only in the US? After all don't women get diagnosed more often with IBS than men? mn are more commonly disgnose with IBS than whom ?So this is documented in the field of psychology that everyone is under stress, but women seek pills or therapy while men might develop hypertension or something else?

·
Banned
5,767 Posts
yes, that was a mistype 'mn' should be women in what I said above. women are more likely to see a doctor and be diagnosed and this might explain the statists in much of the research, or it might not.I'm afraid that 'everyone is under stress' is a fact of life, not just a 'psychological theory'I'm basing the statement on help seeking mainly on experience with patients I've seen but I think it's a pretty common observation even in the popular media. i don't really want to get into a big argument over it here as there are thousands of pro and con studies and the whole thing is pretty complicated.tom

·
Banned
5,767 Posts
yes, that was a mistype 'mn' should be women in what I said above. women are more likely to see a doctor and be diagnosed and this might explain the statists in much of the research, or it might not.I'm afraid that 'everyone is under stress' is a fact of life, not just a 'psychological theory'I'm basing the statement on help seeking mainly on experience with patients I've seen but I think it's a pretty common observation even in the popular media. i don't really want to get into a big argument over it here as there are thousands of pro and con studies and the whole thing is pretty complicated.tom

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Bonnie, women have more serotonin in their bodies then men do.They seem to percive pain differently then men.There is a horomone issue also.There is some diet/ weight issues women may be more invovled in then men.They go to Obgyn and that is a part of this.Men don't seem to go to the doctors as much.Its been noted some people in some countries have a higher pain tolerence.Here is something you might want to read.Scientific AmericanWhy Are So Many Women Depressed? http://www.sciam.com/1998/0698womens/0698leibenluft.html

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Bonnie, women have more serotonin in their bodies then men do.They seem to percive pain differently then men.There is a horomone issue also.There is some diet/ weight issues women may be more invovled in then men.They go to Obgyn and that is a part of this.Men don't seem to go to the doctors as much.Its been noted some people in some countries have a higher pain tolerence.Here is something you might want to read.Scientific AmericanWhy Are So Many Women Depressed? http://www.sciam.com/1998/0698womens/0698leibenluft.html

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
eric, I wanted to know how tom thought about the whole issue since in his posts he always tries to figure out if a particular gender difference might be contributing to the gender difference in IBS. I thought the case was shut and closed just on the serotonin difference

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
eric, I wanted to know how tom thought about the whole issue since in his posts he always tries to figure out if a particular gender difference might be contributing to the gender difference in IBS. I thought the case was shut and closed just on the serotonin difference

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
As Tom has noticed there are some differences for sure and they don't have very good answers to some of this.The serotonin issue stuck out in my thoughts, but I have never seen it mention in any lit. really.Somehow I think hormonal issues are involved and important here.The differences are being studied. In that stress post I posted, on the other thread men and women seem to differ also in their fight or flight response and that could be important also.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
As Tom has noticed there are some differences for sure and they don't have very good answers to some of this.The serotonin issue stuck out in my thoughts, but I have never seen it mention in any lit. really.Somehow I think hormonal issues are involved and important here.The differences are being studied. In that stress post I posted, on the other thread men and women seem to differ also in their fight or flight response and that could be important also.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts