Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have many tomatoes in my garden and cannot eat them. I have been giving them away. Anyone else cannot eat tomatoes? Char

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Well I shouldn't eat tomatoes.. BUT I love them and usually over indulge on them, which of course causes me to suffer.Ironically when I buy tomatoes at a fruit stand or the grocery store they bother me.. but when I have eaten the tomatoes grown in our garden , they didn't seem to affect me as much.Jeanne

·
Registered
192 Posts
My husbsnd and I eat a LOT of tomatoes (he's Italian). I know they're acidic, but so far Iv'e been able to eat them. I grow them in my garden also. As I get older I notice there are more and more things that I can't eat. I hope tomatoes don't make it to that list
. What about spinach? I love spinach, but I have to be careful to just have a very small portion, or else it gives me D

·
Registered
27 Posts
I love tomatoes especially in the summer but I noticed one thing not all tomatoes will give me "d".Tomatoes that are too ripe I stay away from because the skin and seeds are too hard.There is another thing that people could try if they love tomatoes but can't eat them is to take out the seeds.I find any vegetable or fruit that has a lot of seeds is harsh on the intestines.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
I can eat tomatoes.But not when concentrated in pastes or in pizzas or sauces. I stay away from them an stick tocheese pizzas.I also stay away from tomato juices, no good to me at all.O

·
Registered
192 Posts
I hate to say it, but most pizza outside the New York / New Jersey or Chicago areas is extremely harsh
. Marinara or pizza sauce does not need to be harsh, and there's no real need to use paste. I pulverize whole tomatoes, then maybe add a can or two of plain diced tomatoes - no paste. When I lived in New York, the pizza didn't give me problems (not to mention it's the best
). Now that I live in California I'm restricted to a pizza shop that makes true NY style pizza. All pizza from these big chains around here taste like they use paste and chili peppers for pizza sauce
, and it always gives me problems. O.k. sorry, enough ranting about pizza, and I don't mean to insult anyone who likes California pizza :love: .

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
There may be great pizza in NY, thin crusts and all, but I am not risking that concentratedtomato paste with the pizza, or pasta sauces.I've not been near them for 4 years and don't intend to start. Even my stomach is turned off by the sight of them. Much as I used to love 'em.But I can still eat cheese pizzas!We are all different, and what some can eat others cannot. And so it goes...O

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the tomato replies, even today I gave away more tomatoes and cukes. Wish I could eat them and other vegetables and fruits. Just like Diarrhea City they give me pain. For those tomato people that can eat them I wish I could give you some. Have a bumper crop this summer.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Mmmmm, I used to love growing my own tomatoes! They tasted sooo much better than store-bought! I used to grow strawberries too. Oh the good old days
Once in a while, I find that I can tolerate a slice or two of a tomato as long as I take out the seeds and take off the skin and it's sliced very thin. (Better than no tomato, I guess)!

·
Registered
222 Posts
I've been eating tomatoes every night for two weeks straight now. Ours are just ripening so we havbe more to go! The first week I ate them I had no pain, but now for the last week or so, I have had excruciating chtonic pain. Could it be the tomatoes? I would think the onset would have been sooner.I feel your pain, though. Our tomatoes are looknig beautiful and I can't bear the thought of skipping the indulgence!

·
Registered
2 Posts
We have lots of tomatoes too. I tried eating them when they first ripened ... a mistake !!! Now I take the time to remove the skins and seeds and am having no trouble. I is a lot of trouble but they taste soooo good !

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had to give up tomato sauce all together because I never knew when it would give me D. Twice it happened on vacation...and as we were speeding to our rental house, we got stopped by a cop who did not believe I was sick until I bolted into the restaurant where we pulled off the road. It happened on another trip, and ironically, I ducked into a pizza shop, bought a bottle of water, and used their bathroom! I used to love marinara so much, I would just eat it with a spoon....all by itself. I see this ad for Prelief and wonder if it would help?? Has anyone tried it?

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
"Anyone else cannot eat tomatoes? "yes and no. Yes to a slice or two of whole tomato, but no to tomato sauce. When you cook it down you concentrate the tyramine, salicylic acid, and the "antigen" itself if you are sensitivie to one or more of them...in this case I am...so no tomato sauce. Catsup tolerated in modest quantity. The upside of non IgE (non allergic) food hypersensitivity reactions: dose dependency!MNL

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.