Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had IBD for about 15 years now. My symptoms are general RAGING diahrea, and cramping. My questions, however are these:1. I have noticed that often times, previous to a real 'spell' of IBD I get black around any gold [and it's real gold] jewelry. Even the people I work with will notice the blackening around rings/bracelets, etc...and say, "uh oh, Karen...you are going to get sick!"2. I have a discharge from the rectum quite often that will scald me terribly. So...my question is this...has anyone else had these things happen with their IBD/IBS, and if so, do you believe it could have to do with acid content in the system?????Thank you for any help.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I do not think the two things are related.What is going on with the gold is called "gold smudge"
quote: 1. Sometimes skin secretion and perspiration contain chemicals which react with the molecules of other metals in the gold alloy. This can happen when changes occur in body chemistry for example, during pregnancy.2. Outside chemical influences, such as medications, cosmetics, hairsprays and perfumes may sometimes be to blame for the "smudge." Always allow these products to dry before putting on your jewellery. Some shampoos, for example, those produced specifically for dandruff or scalp problems may leave a residue on the skin that will continue to tarnish lower carat gold.3. Air pollutants from industry may cause the "smudge" which can rub off onto the skin when jewellery is worn.4. Minute particles of dust or powder may be embedded in the skin which can result in extremely small particles of gold alloy being rubbed off and left on the skin.5. The fifth and least likely cause may be an allergy to gold or one of the other metals in the alloy, such as an allergy to nickel which is commonly used in fashion jewellery, some white golds and some modern hard gold-plating methods.
No abnormality of metabolism is really associated with this.As for burning diarrhea that could be a problem with bile salt recycling. If too much bile gets into the colon that can cause burning diarrhea. One thing you may want to talk to your doctor if you have diarrhea much of the time (especially if your gall bladder has been removed) is Questran which binds bile and in the June 14, 2001 Issue of New England Journal of Medicine there is a review of treatments for IBS that discusses this.Some people without a gall bladder find taking Calcium helps and that may be something else you want to look at.K.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I do not think the two things are related.What is going on with the gold is called "gold smudge"
quote: 1. Sometimes skin secretion and perspiration contain chemicals which react with the molecules of other metals in the gold alloy. This can happen when changes occur in body chemistry for example, during pregnancy.2. Outside chemical influences, such as medications, cosmetics, hairsprays and perfumes may sometimes be to blame for the "smudge." Always allow these products to dry before putting on your jewellery. Some shampoos, for example, those produced specifically for dandruff or scalp problems may leave a residue on the skin that will continue to tarnish lower carat gold.3. Air pollutants from industry may cause the "smudge" which can rub off onto the skin when jewellery is worn.4. Minute particles of dust or powder may be embedded in the skin which can result in extremely small particles of gold alloy being rubbed off and left on the skin.5. The fifth and least likely cause may be an allergy to gold or one of the other metals in the alloy, such as an allergy to nickel which is commonly used in fashion jewellery, some white golds and some modern hard gold-plating methods.
No abnormality of metabolism is really associated with this.As for burning diarrhea that could be a problem with bile salt recycling. If too much bile gets into the colon that can cause burning diarrhea. One thing you may want to talk to your doctor if you have diarrhea much of the time (especially if your gall bladder has been removed) is Questran which binds bile and in the June 14, 2001 Issue of New England Journal of Medicine there is a review of treatments for IBS that discusses this.Some people without a gall bladder find taking Calcium helps and that may be something else you want to look at.K.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
HiI was diagnosed with UC in the summer & have a white gold wedding ring.I've never seen any blackening before bad flares. There's a post on the nutrition/food board about nickel allergy that might interest you.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
HiI was diagnosed with UC in the summer & have a white gold wedding ring.I've never seen any blackening before bad flares. There's a post on the nutrition/food board about nickel allergy that might interest you.

·
Banned
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the replies. I still wonder about the gold smudge though. It ONLY happens pre-bout of diahrea with the IBD. I never have it any other time.I will mention to my gastroenterologist about the Questran. I am only taking Lomotil, as needed at this time...it seems to work for me. I actually think I can tolerate the diahrea more than I can the scalding that comes before and after it. I do not have diahrea all the time, most of the time it is just ribbon stools, with the occasional bout of diahrea. 3 weeks ago I had to have a fistulectomy, and actually the scalding has abated a little...not much. Hoping it continues to get better and better.Thank you again.

·
Banned
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for the replies. I still wonder about the gold smudge though. It ONLY happens pre-bout of diahrea with the IBD. I never have it any other time.I will mention to my gastroenterologist about the Questran. I am only taking Lomotil, as needed at this time...it seems to work for me. I actually think I can tolerate the diahrea more than I can the scalding that comes before and after it. I do not have diahrea all the time, most of the time it is just ribbon stools, with the occasional bout of diahrea. 3 weeks ago I had to have a fistulectomy, and actually the scalding has abated a little...not much. Hoping it continues to get better and better.Thank you again.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I believe in some cases stress can alter the chemical composition of sweat, it usually does increase the amount.If stress triggers your IBS then it could be that your sweat changes (or the physical stress of the IBS about to flare up could alter your stress).K.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I believe in some cases stress can alter the chemical composition of sweat, it usually does increase the amount.If stress triggers your IBS then it could be that your sweat changes (or the physical stress of the IBS about to flare up could alter your stress).K.

·
Registered
169 Posts
yes,i have the awful burning from some bowel movements! sometimes its hard to walk! i take prilosec and tagamet when it gets to bad. this cuts down some of the acid. ive had my skin actually feel like it has been burned, also try lanolin or bacatracin to "clean up" with this really helps!

·
Registered
169 Posts
yes,i have the awful burning from some bowel movements! sometimes its hard to walk! i take prilosec and tagamet when it gets to bad. this cuts down some of the acid. ive had my skin actually feel like it has been burned, also try lanolin or bacatracin to "clean up" with this really helps!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.