Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner

Too Much Fiber - Shortness of Breath

6K views 22 replies 5 participants last post by  JeanG 
#1 ·
I started taking my protein shakes again today but I have noticed that I am having problems breathing this p.m. after lunch. There is a lot of fiber in the shakes and now I am wondering that maybe I should have taken half the amount for awhile and then add it after I adjust. I feel a bit of a tightness in my chest and a hard time catching a deep breath. I ate a sandwich and a small salad for lunch and I think it has all been way too much today. I hope this feeling passes soon...YUK

#5 ·
I got the same feeling this morning...i had my usual maple bread for breakfast but had juice instead of water...(we go through bottled water to fast in this house)...i think that was the difference between today and all the other days...i think food intolerances do that...i feel like i cant breathe...kinda of like an asmtha attack accept i dont have asmtha...lol...tightness in my chest too...if you find out what causes this let me know...i wonder if it was the high fructose in the juice i drank...

#4 ·
I got the same feeling this morning...i had my usual maple bread for breakfast but had juice instead of water...(we go through bottled water to fast in this house)...i think that was the difference between today and all the other days...i think food intolerances do that...i feel like i cant breathe...kinda of like an asmtha attack accept i dont have asmtha...lol...tightness in my chest too...if you find out what causes this let me know...i wonder if it was the high fructose in the juice i drank...

#7 ·
Hope your feeling better troubled. I think mine was due to much fiber at once. It seems to just get stuck and I get that feeling of pressure high up. I had a lot of fiber on my sandwich with shredded lettuce and I think I should have eaten half the sandwich instead of the whole sandwich at one sitting. I felt better the next day and I tend to feel better when I have smaller meals. You are right it does feel like an asthma attack and when I get that way...I feel like I have to get up and walk around. Can't sit still...

#6 ·
Hope your feeling better troubled. I think mine was due to much fiber at once. It seems to just get stuck and I get that feeling of pressure high up. I had a lot of fiber on my sandwich with shredded lettuce and I think I should have eaten half the sandwich instead of the whole sandwich at one sitting. I felt better the next day and I tend to feel better when I have smaller meals. You are right it does feel like an asthma attack and when I get that way...I feel like I have to get up and walk around. Can't sit still...

#8 ·
yep...i had another attack this morning...and i was really jittery...couldnt stand still...but today i think it is do to stress...i go back and forth...food may do it...than one day its stress...who knows!!...i feel better but now im bloated...I cant win!!...lolI hope you are feeling better Rita...I sometimes have to slow down when i eat...and have found that less is best when eating a meal...one day we will win!!!!!!!!!

#9 ·
yep...i had another attack this morning...and i was really jittery...couldnt stand still...but today i think it is do to stress...i go back and forth...food may do it...than one day its stress...who knows!!...i feel better but now im bloated...I cant win!!...lolI hope you are feeling better Rita...I sometimes have to slow down when i eat...and have found that less is best when eating a meal...one day we will win!!!!!!!!!

#11 ·
Hi Rita:If the tightness and shortness of breath keeps up, maybe you should get it checked out.I've been short of breath this week and went to the doc. They think my thyroid medication needs to be changed and that it was too strong for me.So, just to be sure, get things checked out. Of course, I'm the last one who should be saying this -- I waited a week before calling. We always hope it will go away on its own, don't we?JeanG

#10 ·
Hi Rita:If the tightness and shortness of breath keeps up, maybe you should get it checked out.I've been short of breath this week and went to the doc. They think my thyroid medication needs to be changed and that it was too strong for me.So, just to be sure, get things checked out. Of course, I'm the last one who should be saying this -- I waited a week before calling. We always hope it will go away on its own, don't we?JeanG

#13 ·
Well Jean.. you are right.. I think we hope it will go away by itself but I think your advice is good. I think I will call the Dr. today. I have noticed a few episodes of this and not always related to eating but also when I exercise. Yesterday I was at a restaurant and just finished eating and then all of a sudden out of no where I got the feeling that I couldn't breathe and I was locked and struggled for a deep breath. I get a few seconds where I feel shorted out..like all of sudden I just can't breathe.. I have to walk around a minute and then try to take a deep breath. I also have had a lot of congestion and was on antibiotics last week and a decongestant. Maybe something with that medicine too. Then I started back on more fiber, change in diet and more exercise.But I do take thyroid and I was just checked a couple months ago and my TSH is now 2.3 or something like that. I don't get the palpatations that you can get on thyroid -- but maybe I don't feel them that way. How can tell if it is they thyroid anyway? Lab work, listening to your heart?

#12 ·
Well Jean.. you are right.. I think we hope it will go away by itself but I think your advice is good. I think I will call the Dr. today. I have noticed a few episodes of this and not always related to eating but also when I exercise. Yesterday I was at a restaurant and just finished eating and then all of a sudden out of no where I got the feeling that I couldn't breathe and I was locked and struggled for a deep breath. I get a few seconds where I feel shorted out..like all of sudden I just can't breathe.. I have to walk around a minute and then try to take a deep breath. I also have had a lot of congestion and was on antibiotics last week and a decongestant. Maybe something with that medicine too. Then I started back on more fiber, change in diet and more exercise.But I do take thyroid and I was just checked a couple months ago and my TSH is now 2.3 or something like that. I don't get the palpatations that you can get on thyroid -- but maybe I don't feel them that way. How can tell if it is they thyroid anyway? Lab work, listening to your heart?

#14 ·
Hi Rita:My episode of short breathing and a rapid heart rate started about 10 days ago. I went to the doc yesterday and they did an ekg right away, which showed my heart is ok. She also listened to my heart. She did a TSH test which we should have back tomorrow.The reason we think it's the thyroid meds is because I had just gotten a new prescription filled when the problem started. This doctor is a new one for me and wasn't the one who originally prescribed it, and thinks the dosage may be too high. I should know by tomorrow.Today I'm home taking it easy since I have to get my heart rate back down. It was spiking to 120, and I'm taking beta blockers every 6 hours until it's back to 80. I think I'm almost there.Sorry for being long winded! Let me know what you find out. Maybe you should go right away.JeanG

#15 ·
Hi Rita:My episode of short breathing and a rapid heart rate started about 10 days ago. I went to the doc yesterday and they did an ekg right away, which showed my heart is ok. She also listened to my heart. She did a TSH test which we should have back tomorrow.The reason we think it's the thyroid meds is because I had just gotten a new prescription filled when the problem started. This doctor is a new one for me and wasn't the one who originally prescribed it, and thinks the dosage may be too high. I should know by tomorrow.Today I'm home taking it easy since I have to get my heart rate back down. It was spiking to 120, and I'm taking beta blockers every 6 hours until it's back to 80. I think I'm almost there.Sorry for being long winded! Let me know what you find out. Maybe you should go right away.JeanG

#20 ·
Jean,That is terrible. I hope you are feeling better and they get the dosage right. It has to be the medicine. That is very common with too much thyroid to get the rapid heart rate. My doctor always told me when we were trying to find the right dosage for me that I might feel a rapid heart rate at some point. I never got that reaction but I did get other things to let me know it was too high a dosage and then we cut back.I am suspicious that your symptoms didn't start until the new medicine. I am beginning to think that my little episodes are caused from congestion and IBS. I am going to go the Dr. next week and get it all checked out. My IBS has affected me this way many times before as I think back on it. Any sudden change in my diet will set it off. I know the increase in the fiber is probably causing some swelling and then it presses on the diaphragm. Also, I just finished the ZPak that she gave me and I think it could be from the medicine too. I don't feel it is an urgent situation or else I would be there today.Let me know how you are doing... I hope you feel better soon!

#21 ·
Jean,That is terrible. I hope you are feeling better and they get the dosage right. It has to be the medicine. That is very common with too much thyroid to get the rapid heart rate. My doctor always told me when we were trying to find the right dosage for me that I might feel a rapid heart rate at some point. I never got that reaction but I did get other things to let me know it was too high a dosage and then we cut back.I am suspicious that your symptoms didn't start until the new medicine. I am beginning to think that my little episodes are caused from congestion and IBS. I am going to go the Dr. next week and get it all checked out. My IBS has affected me this way many times before as I think back on it. Any sudden change in my diet will set it off. I know the increase in the fiber is probably causing some swelling and then it presses on the diaphragm. Also, I just finished the ZPak that she gave me and I think it could be from the medicine too. I don't feel it is an urgent situation or else I would be there today.Let me know how you are doing... I hope you feel better soon!

#22 ·
Hi Rita:I'm feeling much better and things are back to normal. My doc called an endocrinologist and he wants to see me next week. He also doesn't want me taking any thyroid meds until my appointment.I'm glad to hear you're feeling better, too. Keep us all posted on what your doc tells you.JeanG

#23 ·
Hi Rita:I'm feeling much better and things are back to normal. My doc called an endocrinologist and he wants to see me next week. He also doesn't want me taking any thyroid meds until my appointment.I'm glad to hear you're feeling better, too. Keep us all posted on what your doc tells you.JeanG

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.