Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess you can say that I overdid it yesterday with dietary fiber. The week before was a week of loose stools, then normal, then none, so I thought I better eat more fiber. Started with lentil soup at lunch, an apricot danish and broccalli at dinner. At about 4 AM I woke with horrible gas pains in my right side (waistline). Couldn't expell the gas. Took a Phazyme for some relief. Finally after six BM's and much gas expelled I lost the pain. Now my colon is so sore. Did I do something wrong---any advice!!!

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
The general rule is to change the amount of fiber in the diet slowly. Adding too much fiber all at once can cause problems, especially with gas.K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Tania, YOU perhaps did nothing wrong. It is a trial & error thing this upping the fiber thing. Think Goldilocks.....some days too much.....some days too little.......some days JUUUUUUUSSSSSTTT right. It takes some practice & time. Try to be patient w/yourself & your body. Don't give up. I've found that somedays I seem to have done everything JUUUUSSST right & I still can have a bad day. But I'm having more good days than I used to b/4 I started upping the fiber. Hang in there & have another go at it tomorrow.
BQ

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
" lentil soup at lunch, an apricot danish and broccalli" are all big gas causers for me.I also have used to much fiber and it caused me to have a urinary problem ( couldn't pee.) which didn't go away until I had several bowl movements that cleared the colon of all that stuff.I had used those high fiber wafers, plus bran cereal, ground flax baked into cookies... etc. ------------------Prayer doesn't change God , it changes the one who prays..C type, with G

·
Registered
340 Posts
I can't eat high fiber,period! I can eat raw carrots at a meal, one peeled apple, cooked cabbage or broccoli,beans (usually bad),and a little celery,chopped fine but I don't repeat any of these for a day or two. Fiber bulking agents and high fiber cereals act like the greatest laxative on earth! If a cereal says over 4gms of dietary fiber I stay away from it. I can eat cooked oatmeal (not the instant) and brown rice also.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I'm with Sally Jane, fiber does me in. I have tried adding it very slowly over the course of a month, but when I reach a certain point (which isn't near the recommended amount), I go like crazy. You do need to add it very slowly and find that one tsp/day of Perdiam plus my non-gassy dietary fibers are sufficients. I know if I ate the diet you did that day, I'd have been in misery!!! Hope you are better today/. .

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I too have to start with any fiber very slowly or I get lots of gas and cramps. That goes for supplements like metamucil and foods, like whole grains. Then I slowly increase the amount and am fine. I let my intestines tell me when I have started on too high a dose or amount of food! I really cut back then and as many times as needed! Then I slowly increase fiber. I am fine then. My body needs lots of time to adjust!------------------Forever Vikee

1 - 7 of 7 Posts